NobleKnightGames is getting PATHETIC
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:14 am 

Noble Knight Games wrote:Dear Acaeum, valued customers, long term business associates, and dare I say a few friends,

Thanks Aaron for taking the time to reply to the concerns here. I for one appreciate the effort. I have bought from you a number of times and every transaction has been perfect. I see there are some legitimate concerns and you are addressing them. Much appreciated.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:24 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:So someone DID have the time to reduce the price, but not enough time to FIX THE LISTING!?

I'm sure these sorts of sales reductions are done automatically across whole categories. No one is reducing the price on individual items.

What I took from Aaron's response is that they're doing the best they can with the resources at their disposal, and don't plan on making any substantial changes based on the concerns/complaints aired here. Basically it's a, "Yes, we hear you, but we're not changing anything." Specifically:

1) Stock photos for high value items will continue to be used.

1a) These stock photos will not always depict the correct printing/version.

1b) NKG's classifications of various printings differ from the Acaeum's, and they don't plan on taking the time to update/correct them.

2) The grading concerns won't be addressed. The same person who has been in charge of OOP grading for a long while will continue to do it, and Aaron gave no indication that standards will be tightened up.

3) They will address individual complaints about the above by reacting after the sale.

My main beef has been with (2) and (3) above. Since I started buying occasionally in 2006, the attention to detail in grading has always been hit-or-miss. More than 1/3 of my orders have been what I considered significantly below par condition-wise based on my understanding of their grading scale (2). I've even received totally different items than advertised on a couple of occasions. When I have bothered to complain (not every time), a store credit has been issued without asking if that's what I wanted (which it wasn't, since I then need to use other funds to find the right item somewhere else...). I've only purchased something over $100 once, and I did ask for photos, was sent them promptly, and then purchased the item and it was as described/pictured.

It is what it is. Buy or don't buy based on that. There's no point in continuing the abusive rants. OOP sales are not their top priority in any case, and Aaron is just not willing to devote the time and effort to meeting the (what he implies are the unreasonable) expectations of (some) here. If it's not worth it to him, then it's just not.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:54 am 

Hello Aaron,

Thank you for taking time to respond to the postings here. I feel that as collectors of the Acaeum we take great pride in our work, and want reliable and respectable resellers to do the same.

I can try to sum up our concerns in two simple statements:

1) Pictures - Set a certain amount (say over $100, or $200?) where items will have an actual picture.

2) Grading - The more information about the item you disclose, the better. Then your informed customer can make the best decision possible.

Best of Luck

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:38 pm 

Thanks for coming in and taking the time to respond, Aaron.

I think Invincible Overlord's suggestion above is the best.

1) Pictures - Set a certain amount (say over $100, or $200?) where items will have an actual picture.

Just about everyone doesn't get bent too much if they drop $20 on something and it isn't exactly what they were expecting, but when an item gets up above $100 or so, that's when most people start to get a bit nervous.

When you start talking about a $100+ for an OOP D&D/RPG item, you're generally talking about something that there is a reasonably limited audience for, and a discerning one at that. If you're interested in serving that audience, I think it behooves you take the time to get a real picture of them on ebay.

The majority of items on ebay do have specific pictures of the actual item, it seems to be only the "large" sellers that don't, because they don't have time. And by large, I mean number of listings, not size of staff.

If you don't have the time to do that for reasonably rare items, then it seems like you should reconsider selling those items on Ebay. It's not extraordinary service to ask for a picture of the actual expensive item, it's just service, and not something unreasonable to ask for.

List of people I see with stock photos in the Gaming sections: cougarrinnard, Troll and Toad, and Noble Knight games.

I've personally purchased a few items from your site, not ebay, so I know you're not amongst those other two, or wouldn't want to be, but that's the company this decision puts you in with.

Guido, Intelligator, and Badmike all place pictures of the actual item up with everything they post. You might rebut that you have too many posts to keep up with that practice, and my response would be, limit your postings then, or at least of the high profile items.

In short, the decision to not post real photos on Ebay places you in the same category as other less than respected businesses in your category. It's an impression you will always have to fight against, because the assumption will be against you, no matter how many good items you do sell.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:39 pm 

Sorry for the double.

Posting a picture help alleviate some of the grading problems as well, because the customer can often decide for themselves what the condition of the item might be.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:50 pm 

Busman wrote:
Guido, Intelligator, and Badmike all place pictures of the actual item up with everything they post. You might rebut that you have too many posts to keep up with that practice, and my response would be, limit your postings then, or at least of the high profile items.

I would like to say I sometimes use stock photos when selling multiple items of the roughly the same condition, particularly when they are magazines or other cheap items. I wouldn't, however, use a stock photo for something over $100 or a rarity.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:25 pm 

i would never buy or sell something with a stock photo of $100 or over, ever.

if you havent the time, you should make the time or delegate the task.

best, Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:50 pm 

Badmike wrote:I would like to say I sometimes use stock photos when selling multiple items of the roughly the same condition, particularly when they are magazines or other cheap items. I wouldn't, however, use a stock photo for something over $100 or a rarity.

killjoy32 wrote:i would never buy or sell something with a stock photo of $100 or over, ever.

Guys this goes without saying ... of course you would supply photos for expensive items ... having dealt with both of you you are are in a different seller category all together.  That's aside from the fact you are both active members of this community.
:wink:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:47 am 

So Aaron posted on here. Did he actually do anything? Or was it just a hollow T&T style BS PR exercise? There seem to be no end of listings at rediculous prices with misleading stock photos (a minor issue I suppose), but these two are deliberate attempts to lie about what the seller is selling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TSR-Basic-D-D-J ... 1e6a3f3bfa

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Aaron,

Are you going to stop your staff doing this? Or is this acceptable business as far as you are concerned?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:08 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So Aaron posted on here. Did he actually do anything? Or was it just a hollow T&T style BS PR exercise? There seem to be no end of listings at rediculous prices with misleading stock photos (a minor issue I suppose)

Ian, you and I both know that Aaron made it clear in his post what he will and won't do. While I don't agree with his approach it is his business and he is entitled to do as he pleases. So no nothing will change. No need to drag this out any further.  

Having said that you did point out a very interesting auction .... which as an owner of a covered Jade I couldn't resist commenting on. :wink:

mbassoc2003 wrote:
but these two are deliberate attempts to lie about what the seller is selling.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

While I don't agree with the statement that the seller is lying about the The Jade Hare auction it is one in particular where Aaron's argument around using stock images is flawed.  The cover photo in the auction listing is clearly intended to draw your attention and is NOT a stock image of the item.  And while the auction states it is for the coverless version it is not clear as the statement is buried in the text (pricing aside). Interestingly the words coverless were not used anywhere in either the auction title nor in the title of the auction text.

Where it becomes laughable is this line taken from the auction:

NKG wrote:
This product shows a picture of the cover for completeness.

Completeness?  Not sure what that means but it does clearly indicate a clear understanding by the seller that they know the product does not include the cover so why not grab the stock photo of the coverless version?  After all it is on the same Acaeum page as the cover photo. Wouldn't you grab the real stock image for completeness?

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Aaron,
Are you going to stop your staff doing this? Or is this acceptable business as far as you are concerned?

Ian, I do think you have had an impact as the auctions were taken down.

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:25 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Both of these auctions are now listed as having "ended", so either NK heard you and took them down, or they both co-incidentally ended within a few hours of your post  8)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:04 am 

One of the keys to listings by this company is that if you want to protect yourself as a buyer you MUST take extra precautionary steps to avoid disappointment with your purchases on e-Bay.

1) you need to be VERY CAREFUL that what you see is what you will be buying
2) Be especially careful that you read EVERY Word all the way down in the description
3) Read the Title more than once... for the same reasons
4) if you are not sure... ask them to explain.
5) if the explanation provided by NKG does not clear it up... PASS!

That is more trouble than one usually has to go through for items that are (for the most part) overpriced and (according to the owner of the company) so common as to never need a picture of the exact item being offered in that listing as the (1000 ... ) words used in the listings should be more than enough for anyone to figure it out...

Sorry, but I am not buying into that hype.
Throughout this thread it has been made perfectly clear through this sellers own e-Bay listings what the troubles are in its e-Bay listing, and the owner of the company has posted here and was very clear in his intent to NOT change the companies listing policies much... if at all.

Some of the listings that are specifically pointed out here get pulled so it seems obvious that someone is watching this thread for now and responding to specific links provided by members of this forum.

What of those that are not specifically linked here?
And what happens when the Acaeum Forum watch gets pulled as being to costly?
This thread would quickly get bogged down if all of Noble Knight Games' questionable listings with  misleading titles and misleading (or vague) descriptions and wrongly posted "Stock Photos" were posted here.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:07 am 

to be honest with you though, all that reading aside, if you are kosher with what you are selling and upfront and honest with your selling principles, you would just specify these things either in the title or right at the top of any descriptive in your listing.

i would do this on anything valuable.

if you hide it somewhere right in the depths of the text where its hard work to actually establish what it is you're bidding/buying, then i genuinely feel you are not being upfront and are taking advantage of the situation, in the hope you will rope in a luckless punter.

basically, if i dont see what i need to clarify right away, i dont bother looking further and just ignore the auction and the loss is on the seller then.

just my 2p worth :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:12 am 

Al, agree with most of what you are saying.

Some buyers though might be too eager to pull the trigger...

Yeah, buyer beware and all that...

Even so, does the seller have SOME responsibility to post correct data?

On the other side of the coin they also have listings like this one...

Picture is the companies Logo, but the Title and in the description (At the top in fact) the words describe exactly what is being offered.

Are there 20 different folks posting e-Bay descriptions?

Surely it cannot be the same individual is posting vague descriptions that can easily be misunderstood and later post the descriptions above which is SO VERY carefully worded to exactly describe the item?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:26 am 

Jon....but thats what i am saying. a GOOD seller will make everything that is necessary to that auction, obvious to be seen at an early point so that someone, especially on a higher value item, can evaluate things very quickly.

of course if you don't KNOW the info necessary such as if its a 1st or 2nd or whatever, be honest and say so. then it allows someone to ask and point you in the right direction.

i've always found that to be a good way of approach.

people like that and will always come back to bid again.

its called goodwill.

but hey what do i know? :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:46 pm 

What I don't  understand is the chances an ebay seller takes with difficult or hidden descriptions. On Ebay, ALL the power is now with the buyer, who can for any reason state NSAD (Not Significantly As Described) and be refunded in full, the money pulled right out of the seller's paypal account.  In many cases, the seller may or may not even get the item back!  Why someone would take this chance with a $350+ item is beyond me, much less the negative feedback/DSR that would result. It's to the seller's advantage to completely and accurately describe all items for sale to avoid problems like this.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:18 pm 

It is a shame that a once reliable seller has such trust issues in their selling tactics. I can see that we all have a right to run our businesses the way we see fit, and yes, I can see that there are benefits to the stock photo and generic ambiguous wear and tear descriptions. But that is the issues most people have with both T&T and Cougie, and this form of hiding behins brief blank BS descriptions and disclaimers is what causes the problems with the worst of eBay's sellers.

I just never used to put Noble Knight Games into that catagory, and it has been the slow slide into that position that is such a shame. NKG used to be a reliable and trustworthy enterprise, and whilst their intent may still be there, their lack of interest in their csutomers' needs is now showing.

Threads like this serve as a warning to the unwary. We often have lurkers and/or newbies turning to the forums after a nighmare story with one online seller or another. If nothing else, Google's spiders see that  some customers can make an informed decision if they choose to research a big purchase before they hit BIN.

And, yes, I have to say trying to sell Jade Hare at $325 (or whatever the price was) with a picture of a covered Jade Hare is a specific attempt at decietful selling, IMO. The price is way over what would be considered reasonable or even expensive for a coverless version, and priced more like a cheap mispriced covered version. The same must be said for D&HW. Misleading pictures with an acknowledgement burried in the text that they are using misleading images representing things that are not being sold, demonstrates intent IMO. We all know they could post stock photos of both items 'coverless' taken from Avaeum. They've already said they have the rights to do so.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:57 pm 

I lost my love for NKG years ago when I won an auction for the Rob Kuntz Plantmaster stuff that he has tons of.

After winning the auction (I think is was for $20.00 or so) he sent me an invoice with shipping for over $70.00.  I sent him a terse e-mail about the overcharge on shipping and his reply was something like "I didn't get what the item was worth so I charge more for shipping"...  I told him to go pound sand and his further response was that he would issue me $20.00 or so credit in his online store.  Once again I told him to go pound sand and left it at that.  I ended picking up those same mods at Gencon for around $5.00 per book.

Simply enough NKG is just an online reatailer now and most of there OOP stuff is pricey.  T&T, NKG, Cougie  all the same.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

PreviousNext