NobleKnightGames is getting PATHETIC
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:26 pm 

My Noble Knight experiences:

1)  Order used product:  Wrong edition and damaged by mishandling.

2)  Order new product:  No problem.

Depicting and listing the wrong edition of a collectible product is the rule rather than the exception at Noble Knight.

A typical mishandling error would be a product placed in a plastic bag with the cover bent, or (in the case of Wilderlands of High Fantasy) maps forced inside the front cover and then bagged, damaging the binding and the cover.

Those items I have ordered new have been on time and exactly as advertised.

Comparisons between Noble Knight and Troll and Toad are not accurate because Troll and Toad lists items they do not have in stock and/or just cannot bother to ship.

Troll and Toad will claim that an item is no longer in stock when they have multiple listings of the same item up on Ebay at that moment.  It's just easier to lie to customers than go look in a box out in the warehouse.  Once they've lied, they persist in that lie in the face of any contrary information.  They will persist even when the customer points out that the same item has just been relisted at a slightly higher price.

Noble Knight issues a store credit and moves on.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:50 pm 

Dealt with them a few times, a couple of transactions involving rares.  Aaron is good to work with, gets back to you quickly with good information and attention to detail.  Haven't dealt with any of his lackeys, though.  Prices are always too high.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:33 pm 

Hopefully the buyer of the "Fair" OCE (stock image of apparently SW copy) at $165 isn't going to be too disappointed...

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:10 am 

I have bought stuff from NKG in the past and I have always had pleasant experiences. Nothing majior (usually magazines) but I was always satisfied and if any problems arose, they were solved very quickly.  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:53 am 

Must be (bad) luck of the draw.  I've dealt with NKG numerous times with out any issues.

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:39 am 

FWIW: I have never had any sort of delivery problem from NKG and they seem to be fairly good at returning requests for information, etc.

Just to be clear and to restate:
This is NOT personal for me, as I do not personally know the owner of NKG...
My issues with the COMPANY NKG are in the NOW not the PAST:

1) the e-Bay descriptions SUCK as much if not more than the Toads.
2) Stock photos, that sometimes (often?) are not even a match for the title and/or the description of the listing.
3) a misdiagnosed condition statement for one item I purchased directly from the store itself (not e-Bay).
This happened early last year.

The first two are easily proven facts and not just my opinion.
Facts that cannot be disputed as the evidence is right there for everyone to see on e-Bay and even on his own web store...

And apparently I am not alone with having had the issues listed above.

The owner of the Company might be a great guy and when he was running it all his reputation was apparently golden.
However reputations can change and now that he is no longer just the one guy it may be doing exactly that.
As far as I know the one guy still owns the company but it is now big enough so that he no longer deals with the daily chores of describing listings and mailing items, ect.
He now has so-called "lackeys" to do all that stuff.
So, his so-called "lackeys" are the ones to be blamed for sub-standard listings/customer treatment/product/service/shipping and he is still fondly remembered as the one guy from the past?
Management is part of the whole deal in owning your own company and as that company grows even bigger that aspect becomes more important.
They are his employees and as such his shoulders should STILL hold the weight of any slide in quality and/or customer satisfaction.

As for those who deal directly with the one big guy... probably friends with him too.
Nothing wrong with that... and no doubt that is nice for you and perhaps since you still get that one to one treatment from the one big guy you never have worries or problems.
But not all of us can get that direct contact with the one big guy.

He owns the company, so he needs to own the problems that come with it too.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:18 pm 

I have purchased numerous items from NKG (direct from the store) over the last 2 years and mostly have had a good experience with both item descriptions and shipping, although the prices on their rarer items are high and in my last purchase one item did not match the description. The use of stock photos is annoying.

I avoid T&T now like the plague after a raft of issues with combined shipping (I sent a request 3 times, they did not reply and then opened a unpaid item case after 3 days!) and also poor descriptions.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:44 pm 

I get the impression Aaron'e eye has not been on the ball over the past 18 months or so. Whether his outfit has grown too big for him to handle, or whether,"You just can't get the staff these days." I don't know. But his company is looking more and more like Troll & Toad, and if you're just in it for the money and couldn't give a F about your product or your buyer, so be it. Aaron once had a reputation as an honest and diligent guy. It's just a shame to see his standards going out the window, whether he knows, cares, or whatever.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:39 pm 

Just lurking. But it seems reasonable that items should have the appropriate picture, or at least an acknowledgment in the description that it's a stock photo.

Hopefully this will be addressed going forward, particularly for the more expensive items.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:35 pm 

As the head of the company, he is ultimately responsible for the quality of customer service provided regardless of who is actually doing it. If in fact it is slipping, then it needs to be resolved to avoid potential reputational damage going forward.

I personally have bought few items from NKG in the past year with nothing memorable happening which probably meant everything went ok.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:01 pm 

Might as well add my two cents. I have only made a couple of purchases that were "vintage" items as opposed to new stock. Never an issue. New release items have been flawless.
I have not made any ebay purchases so I can't comment other than I wish they would just do it right, or evaluate their current methods and make some corrections.
NK carries all my new releases and even stocks reprints and I have to say they are professional and great to work with.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:15 pm 

Sales of your new modules are exactly what Noble Knight does best, Bill.  The buyer gets a small discount and the correct item, packed well.

I've never had even the slightest issue with a new product from Noble Knight.  They were, for instance, the best place to buy Jim Raggi's modules and things like that.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:17 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
As big a seller as they are... how can they NOT afford a $60 Walmart Digital Camera?

At least with the $135 item you get a stock photo.  Albeit the wrong stock photo.

The $250 item gets a logo picture .... 8O

** expired/removed eBay auction **

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:27 pm 

Or a clear example example of why their grading system is crap:

Two TSR AD&D 1st Ed Bloodstone Pass Fair listed:

The first at $195 is listed as (Fair/EX) (cutouts uncut, unpunched)

The second at $175 is listed as (Fair/EX+) (cutouts uncut, unpunched)

Both use the same stock photo ... yet the more expensive one is graded lower?  8O

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:48 pm 

Improv wrote:yet the more expensive one is graded lower?  8O

Doesn't mean anything.  Could be as simple as an item is priced once, and not adjusted with the market (up or down).

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:35 pm 

Experirnce would suggest that what it really means is that if you buy one of the two, you will automatically receive the lower quality/lower value copy no matter which one you actually purchased.

Since the actual product for sale is not pictured, what motivation does the seller have to play it straight?

The pattern I've seen suggests this scenario happens all the time...indeed, that it is one very probable explanation for the phenomenon customers have been describing here.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:09 am 

I purchased many times from Nobleknight from 2009 to early 2011. I always had an excellent service: prompt and accurate answers to inquiries about item condition, immediate shipping, great packing: I often received items in better condition than expected, in comparison to T&T.

However, something has changed last year. I had a concern for each of my orders, mostly about condition: received two items stated as near mint, actually very good at best. I sent pictures and Aaron response was prompt and professional: got a discount for next purchase, he recognized the fault. I thought it was incidental. Nevertheless, same problem happened two more times later. I explained my concern, complaining politely about a problem concerning condition statement: Aaron said that no change was made in condition statement. Since that time (roughly around mid-2011), my trust in NBK is not the same as before. Last event was definitive about my feeling that something has changed in bad at NBK. I asked pictures for an expensive item, something about $300. Received a picture of quite low quality, and decided not to buy it. I asked later for another item, but never received any answer, after two emails. My feeling is that something has changed last year, Aaron did not recognize. Now, I buy only from time to time there. My main disappointment was in that Aaron did not seem very concerned when I explained to him that NBK could quickly lose confidence of some collectors like me. It was evidenced by several posts here last year. I told him that the subject began to be discussed among collectors, so he was aware of our concerns. I guess there was a change somewhere in his staff, surely in condition classification. Until last year, I was in contact with a certain Rick Lannert, trustworthy, prompt and accurate, and now? Who is in charge of condition classification and control?

NBK has lost a good part of my confidence…. and most of my money. I'm no more ready to receive an item in lower condition than stated. Nevertheless, I'm not ready to put NBK in the same basket as T&T which is definitively poor on all subjects. And I just hope NBK will again become what it has always been: one of the best RPG online shop. But I have to agree with some members here, something is not right for a while. And I'm now purchasing at NBK only from time to time.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:58 am 

FormCritic wrote:Experirnce would suggest that what it really means is that if you buy one of the two, you will automatically receive the lower quality/lower value copy no matter which one you actually purchased.

Since the actual product for sale is not pictured, what motivation does the seller have to play it straight?

The pattern I've seen suggests this scenario happens all the time...indeed, that it is one very probable explanation for the phenomenon customers have been describing here.

That's the way I read it.
Nothing identifying a particular purchase. It's over $100 which is pricey IMO. So if you buy, you have no way of knowing what you're gonna get, and you get shipped the worst copy they have in stock. Absolutely ne recourse, and absolutely no evidence to the contrary. You just have to trust that the arsehole listing the stuff and the arsehole picking the stuff aren't too pissed off that day. I for one see no honesty or integrity in NKG's listings online or on eBay anymore. Maybe Aaron has contracted in T&T to handle his second hand stock.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext