NobleKnightGames is getting PATHETIC
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:48 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:After winning the auction (I think is was for $20.00 or so) he sent me an invoice with shipping for over $70.00.  I sent him a terse e-mail about the overcharge on shipping and his reply was something like "I didn't get what the item was worth so I charge more for shipping"...

This was not an isolated incident.  Aaron was(is?) definitely hiding profit in the shipping charge.  To quote Aaron .... "there is a handling fee on all our ebay auctions since the merchandise is in general selling for less then our cost there".  I personally find this behavior morally questionable.

Based on both Blackmoor's and my experience I do have to pull Aaron up on his claim that eBay is new to NKG.

Noble Knight Games wrote:3) We use stock photos wherever possible.  This is clearly stated on the webpage and the eBay page.  It boggles my mind how many places I can put information and still have it be missed or ignored.  EBay is new for us.  

Both our purchases were made back in 2007.  I am not sure where the line is between new and experienced but I am pretty sure 5 years is long enough to move out of the new category.

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:01 pm 

Improv wrote:Both our purchases were made back in 2007.  I am now sure where the line is between new and experienced but I am pretty sure 5 years is long enough to move out of the new category.

We don't know what his turnover of staff is, or how capable they are of learning new technologies. If he's having to retrain staff every six months because he can't keep them, or his pool of staff are exceptionally restricted in ability, he may well be facing the, "You just can't get the staff" phenomenon.

I don't imagine Aaron himself gets involved in listing such things personally, and from what his 10 year old office boy had to say when he posted, neither does he. You may blame the business owner, but if you can't get decent staff, you pretty much have to make do with what the locals are able to learn.

I'd not read the stories of milking the shipping to screw the buyers out of more money before. That's pretty poor behaviour from a seller who I'd presumed was fairly honest. If these 'charges' are still implemented, they are not being disclosed to the buyer. I can only assume Aaron has cleaned up his act in that respect atleast.

This thread stands as a damning indictment of NKG's current business practices. Not a good marketting strategy to be posting that they'll not be addressing the issies any time soon.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 pm 

As far as OOP stock goes, I think all of these (good) points will probably be moot in the non-too-distant future. I check their website (for D&D/AD&D only) relatively regularly, and it doesn't seem like they're restocking OOP material at nearly the rate that they were a couple of years ago. Whether this is a deliberate choice and they're moving away from it, they're offering too little to people looking to sell collections, things are becoming scarcer, or a combination, I don't know.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:39 am 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

OCE with a BIN of $125...
NICE looking box shown.
So, that would be a decent price for a complete OCE Right?

Except this listing is for a white box set that HAS NO BOX! :roll:
Reference Sheets?
Who knows...?
All three books there?
Again who knows?
The desription which is supposedly worth 1000 pictures does tell us what originallty came with this set; the Box, three books and the Reference Sheets.
NOTHING about what this listing is actually offering; instead a bidder would have to ASSUME that since the description purposefully excluded the box, perhaps all else is there?  PDT_Armataz_01_05
What the efff ever people....
Maybe he is on vacay again.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:14 am 

It appears to be a blatant attempt by Aaron's staff to deceive the unsuspecting buyer.
Very little attempt has been made to present an honest description of the goods in any way, and the image is blatantly there to mislead the buyer as to the product and its condition.
The company have degenerated over the years into dishonesty and deception, and, from what Aaron and/or his staff have said on this forum, they both know about their practices, and couldn't give a fuck about their customers or any perception of dishonesty or impropriety they are giving.
I doubt we'll see any change, any explanation, or any honesty going forward.
In fact, Aaron and his underling would be wise to avoid responding, because responding will only get their ass chewed out in a public forum.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:27 am 

Hi,

particularly as the item as described as VG.

In the grading system VG is described as COMPLETE....

Cheers,
KAL

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:44 pm 

Versimilitude wrote:Hi,

particularly as the item as described as VG.

In the grading system VG is described as COMPLETE....

Cheers,
KAL

Not true.... particularly with that item.
No box set is complete without THE BOX!
And even if complete otherwise  :roll:  , at that price it is WAY too high and without a proper description, the bidder is taking his/her chances with the rest.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:31 pm 

Hi,

IS true.

I quote from auction:

VG        VG Very Good. Used. May have medium sized creases, scuff marks, very small stain, etc. Complete and very useable.

yet the box is missing. They cant even stick to their own grading system.

Cheers,
KAL

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:48 pm 

Since when does a "very good" condition include someone having colored in any of the pages, whether it's "neatly" done or otherwise?
It doesn't even match their grading system in their own auction details!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

and again, here's the Jade Hare -- shown with cover -- yet you have you go down four paragaphs into the description to read the disclaimer that there's no cover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... rid=229466

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:13 pm 

misterspock wrote:Since when does a "very good" condition include someone having colored in any of the pages, whether it's "neatly" done or otherwise?
It doesn't even match their grading system in their own auction details!

and again, here's the Jade Hare -- shown with cover -- yet you have you go down four paragaphs into the description to read the disclaimer that there's no cover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... rid=229466

I just  about hit the buy button on the jade Hair a year or so ago because of the lame picture and hidden nonsense description.  I would have been pretty angry if I had actually done that  :evil:   It is overpriced by around $225.00 or more right now.  Pretty shady outfit overall. :(

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:55 pm 

Wow, I'm glad this post was bumbed back up as I never saw it before.

Being relatively new to the collecting scene (been playing for years [I still need to introduce my self {this embedded comments is just for kicks}]) I am totally amazed at the current prices being asked for these OOP items.

It all started with Amazon mostly (trying to complete some of my WW collection) and found that there is simply ridiculous pricing out there, books for thousands of dollars, etc. which I never understood and still don't till today. I'm not talking rares either, just simple SW AD&D 2e items sometimes. DailyDealzUSA, AnyBook, ugh, they make me sick.

Then came my lust for building my D&D collection (through 2e) and I have started picking up rares and SW items when I can, if the price is right. I have been trying to understand these ebay resellers through this board and I still don't and you guys just keep making me smarter. T&T, KNG, Intelligator, they all have huge stocks of old items but charge ridiculous prices for them. Not to mention the descriptions issues you guys have been discussing.

It reminds me of a store near where I live, which has a fairly decent size of old gaming products, all types. I used to like book stores where you were climbing over stacks of boxes to find things until I became a collector. This store pisses me off. Tons of great stuff that just get smashed between the new stuff being brought in and the even older stuff below it. Box sets with no boxes that just sits there and could be sold off to people on ebay for cheap helping them complete collections. Only one guy can price stuff and everything is overpriced. Even newly OOP items, like WW or GURPS 3e is overpriced and he has 15 copies of each book. Sort of reminds me of these huge resellers on ebay. I would kill to run these guys stores and get the first picks for items coming in. They probably give people 5 bucks for RPGA modules then sell them for hundreds.

How do they even get into this business? Can I put a Craigs List add out. Bring me all old RPG stuff and ill give you nothing for it! lol I would totally run a reseller store i i knew how to get the products coming in.

The real thing that irks me is the pricing, as I imagaine it does everyone else. Not just that it is pricey but its impossible to tell what things should be worth anymore. We have these great Acaeum standards but they are blown out of the water everyday. N2 The Forest Oracle SW just popped up on ebay for a reasonable price 12.99 (no BIN) and already I have someone outbidding me on it. Other people will stumble onto it and it will just keep going up. Should the Acaeum prices be updated to reflect what people are willing to pay today, not necessarily what we think they should be worth? Of course that just enables the huge resellers to start higher but man the whole thing is just difficult. Makes you wish you simply worked harder for that allowance when you were younger and bought more stuff at retail! :)  Oh and never opened it! HA

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:20 pm 

An item is worth what the buyer will pay.  If it is not worth the price to you, why fret?  Prices fluctuate based upon context.  

FYI, I wish I had a local bookstore that handled rpg irregardless of price.  (Hint)...  if the guys prices are too high, then they simply won't sell and you don't need to be offended... save up some money, be very, very nice and politely let him know you might be willing to buy ALL of the rpg if he ever wants or needs the cash flow.  

Meanwhile, enjoy your collecting and try to remember to enjoy the journey.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:37 pm 

Pipswich wrote:An item is worth what the buyer will pay.  If it is not worth the price to you, why fret?  Prices fluctuate based upon context.  

That sure is the truth!

Pipswich wrote:FYI, I wish I had a local bookstore that handled rpg irregardless of price.  (Hint)...  if the guys prices are too high, then they simply won't sell and you don't need to be offended... save up some money, be very, very nice and politely let him know you might be willing to buy ALL of the rpg if he ever wants or needs the cash flow.

I'm normally offensive, not offended!  :lol: Hey that's what road trips are for. C'mon down to Denver and you can buy all you want. Nothing rare too often but they have 30 copies of the PHB!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:55 pm 

Par for the course... But on a lark, I decided to ask them why they still continue to post misleading items on ebay when all he had to do was just post the one picture and not the other.

IO " Why are you posting a STOCK PHOTO of an item you are not selling. Can't you just place the photo of the item you are selling instead?"

I actually got a response:

Hello,

Mat here. The photos that we use are the same photos that we use for the products on our website, and are clearly listed as stock photos in both locations. We have hundreds of thousands of items in stock, and catalog thousands more every week, both new and used. Unfortunately, it's simply not feasible for us to take a photo of every copy of each individual item in our database. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Matthew Starch
--------------------

:lol:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:30 pm 

Do they keep an inventory of hundreds or thousands of rare, and I mean very rare, items? I would bet something worth $200+ would merit the 2-3 minute time it takes to snap a photo and catalog it properly.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:02 pm 

Sounds very TnT now, doesn't it.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:07 pm 

I have a real simple solution: if you do not have a picture of the actual item, don't post a picture at all. Done.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:35 am 

bbarsh wrote:I have a real simple solution: if you do not have a picture of the actual item, don't post a picture at all. Done.
You mean like this.  
:lol:

PreviousNext