NobleKnightGames is getting PATHETIC
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:07 am 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

A listing for a supposed TSR 1st print Monster Manual.
Check the picture... and then read the Title and Description.

I sent a message,
Dear www_nobleknight_com,
The book in the picture, is that the exact book being sold in this listing, or is that a stock photo?
Reason I ask is that the title and description BOTH clearly indicate a 1st print.
That picture is of a 2nd print Monster Manual, not a 1st print... - aneoth

... got this back...
Dear aneoth,
Hello,
Yes, this is a stock photo. We do not have a picture of the exact item available.
Best regards,
Matthew Starch
Noble Knight Games
"Where the Out-of-Print is Available Again"
http://www.nobleknight.com

Wage monkeys... indeed.
At the least they should have stated that in the description.
We are idiots, please ignore the picture provided.

As big a seller as they are... how can they NOT afford a $60 Walmart Digital Camera?
Even to sell a cheap $135 item?
REALLY?!
We all know they have sold some of those in the past too, how can they not have some ACTUAL pics of ACTUAL 1st prints?

Even if they cannot afford the camera.
They could have (at the very least) added my question into the listing... BUT NOPE!

They are hoping (I think) that someone not as knowledgeable (a newbie collector) hits that BIN and perhaps never discovers the lies.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:31 am 

<sigh>. Yeah, I gave up on NKG almost a year ago, due mostly to the sloppy grading standards. Almost every order I had placed for the previous year had something wrong with it: modules graded NM or NM- that were more like (the Acaeum's) Fine, magazines graded New that had extensive wear, etc. I've been tempted recently to try again, but I can't judge condition for myself using stock photos, and I just don't trust the skills of whoever (not Aaron, I think) is grading items these days.

Not to mention their prices, which were always on the high side, and have become outrageous.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:51 am 

Last year, I purchased a Judges Guild adventure that is fairly hard to find, though certainly not rare... just uncommon.
On the web site for NobleKnight dot com the Ad stated FV+ and the picture provided looked minty too I saw no flaws at all.
So I decide to go ahead and purchase the book as VF+ to me is collectable grade.
Got it back... and I was SURE I had recieved the wrong copy of it.
The book has 32 pages, and in this copy 17 of them have highlighting on EVERY SINGLE LINE of text, another has the same on several lines of text.
Several colors of it no less.
Additional regular hand-writing on several pages too.
Front cover has a portion that is defective in that it looks like a store price sticker was ripped off it, taking some of the paper/color with it.
Rear cover also has no less than two fold lines that run the entire length top to bottom.
All four corners have serious wear (Rounded).
Spine creasing is so neumerous that I do not have time to count them all.
Staples rusted.

Very Fine my azz...  :roll:

if this had been an e-Bay listing I would have negged the hell out of them and one starred them as well.
No such avenue with the web site. :evil:

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Very Fine my azz...  :roll:

I don't think he uses F or VF.. Excellent, perhaps?

if this had been an e-Bay listing I would have negged the hell out of them and one starred them as well.
No such avenue with the web site. :evil:

That's my other problem with NKG. Every time I complained about a problem, the response was simply to issue me a store credit, without asking if that's what I preferred (it so happens it wasn't ever what I preferred, a replacement or refund would have been in order in each case...). I have no idea whether I was dealing with Aaron himself or an employee in these cases. If I were to ever purchase something from them again, I would do it through eBay, just to have the options available through Buyer Protection and the Feedback system.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:32 am 

I stopped buying from NKG a few years ago because I lost trust in their willingness to be describe things accurately or honestly. I would still buy regular stuff from them if the stuff wasn't available in the UK, but collectables, I'd be very careful.

I did have the impression that they were selling stuff for third parties, and that they never ever set eyes on some stuff they were profiting from, and in these situations if the description was wrong they'd just wipe their hands of it, but who knows how things are run over there now the recession has hit.

Maybe they can't afford intelligent staff and have to employ lower down the evolutionary ladder, or maybe the staff they do have are so over owrked and under paid that they don't have the time or inclination to give a F. There was a time when Aaron used to pop onto the threads and answer the odd question, but, when the company is looking more and more like Troll and Toad (and we all know how rotten that company is) it's a bad show.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Aaron bail out and sell NKG to T&T and turn the whole thing into one big cluserfuck. I'd trust Aaron to be honest and upfront with me, but I wouldn't trust his monkeys any further than they could throw their own sh't.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:33 am 

Might have been labeled as Excellent.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:38 am 

I have said this for years, I consider NKG at the same level as Troll and Toad.  No consideration for the customer, inward focus, outright lies.  Avoid at all costs.

Do not trust these losers!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:48 am 

I have no issues with NKG.  I don't generally buy/trade for big ticket items from them, because their prices are (as a retailer) higher than I want to pay, but for regular items, I've never had a serious problem.  And minor problems were resolved immediately.

I don't go in with a shit attitude though.  If I have a question about an item, I ask, and I get an answer.  Pretty simple, really.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:21 am 

Only issues I ever had were resolved.  I am in the affiliate program though so people going through my site's link and making a purchase has helped me.  I only really use NobleKnight for selling stuff too or purchasing newer stuff from that I can't find on Amazon.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:41 am 

The only complaint I've ever voiced about NKG were their prices on the rarer items.  Everything else has been exemplary.  I've sent emails to them on a few occasions asking for additional information and photos and have always received a reply with what I wanted, usually within an hour.

mbassoc2003 wrote:I'd trust Aaron to be honest and upfront with me, but I wouldn't trust his monkeys any further than they could throw their own sh't.

I've never dealt with Aaron, only other employees, and I've always been treated honestly and with respect.

TheHistorian wrote:I don't go in with a shit attitude though.

:lol:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 am 

I've been very happy with NKG.  I've had problems but Aaron always corrected them quickly.

Some folks are just hard to please.  We have a Shady Sellers thread, I think we need a Shitty Customer one as well.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:03 pm 

Prufrock wrote:I've been very happy with NKG.  I've had problems but Aaron always corrected them quickly.

Some folks are just hard to please.  We have a Shady Sellers thread, I think we need a Shitty Customer one as well.

Martin

I thought we had a shitty customer thread, but I may just be thinking of the blocked bidder thread.

It took me a long time to use NK because I had a bad experience with Aaron as a customer of mine before he started NK. I haven't bought anything from NK in a year or so, but at that time the service and shipping werre excellent.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:41 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Some folks are just hard to please.  We have a Shady Sellers thread, I think we need a Shitty Customer one as well.

It would hit the 100 page limit too fast.

:wink:

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:03 pm 

The main problem with NKG is clearly the lack of accurate descriptions. I have had several issues before deciding to avoid them. Few years ago, they were reliable and accurate. Since 2-3, even if you ask question about a product before buying it, you have some chances to receive an uncorrect item...

For example, they had a Swordbearer boxed set which was stated as FGU 3 books edition. I asked about it, thinking it could be the heritage version and not a FGU TWO books version. They replied that no, it is not the Heritage but the FGU, and with 3 books. Even if I am not sure this  version actually exists, Heroic Worlds mentions it does, so let's go to see, I ordered.
I received of course the heritage version. I contacted NKG and they told me that I ordered the Heritage version and that the listing clearly stated that it is the Heritage version. Of course, they removed the page with the box set I ordered. I copy/paste their answer about the question I asked before buying (in which they said it is not the heritage version). They replied that it still was my mistake, even when I sent a screen capture of the erased webpage...
So, clearly dishonest. I never had any refund for this box. I should have chargeback my credit card.
Oh and in the same order, I ordered the Broken Covenant of Calebais black 1st print cover and I received the 2nd colored cover print...

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:21 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:I don't go in with a shit attitude though.  If I have a question about an item, I ask, and I get an answer.  Pretty simple, really.

I didn't go in with a shit attitude; I developed one over time :).

I'd be the first to admit I can be a little picky, but NKG has definitely IMO gone downhill some over the years. Probably the inevitable result of growth and having to hire additional staff. Can't watch everyone all the time, and gamers (in my experience) make particularly bad managers.

I think Gnat's point is well taken, in any case. When you're paying $135 for a book, it'd be nice to see an actual picture rather than a stock photo. Even if T&T and NKG started taking individual photos of only those collectible items with prices over a certain amount (say $50), it would probably save time and effort in the long run.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:26 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:gamers (in my experience) make particularly bad managers.

A DM tries to place obstacles in the path of his players. If a manager subconsciously acts like a DM...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:11 pm 

I have only purchased a few items from NKG that would qualify as rare, but they were quality experiences. Items shipped very quickly, extremely well packaged, and exactly as described. Now, that was a while back (at least a year or more) so maybe things have been different lately... I'm still not a huge fan, due to the somewhat insane prices, but there are also very good deals. After all, nothing is worth anything except for what you're willing (and able) to give for it.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:27 pm 

Hi,

I have noticed an increased tendency for a pic of a game on the NK website to be of the wrong item. Its usually of a diferent version.

Cheers,
KAL

Next