1st Edition AD&D books to be reprinted
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:09 pm 

Echohawk wrote:1e: Unearthed Arcana Premium Reprint (19 February 2013)

WoTC can have my copy.  It'll save on photocopying. :)

Echohawk wrote:1e: Dungeons of Dread Classic Adventure Compilation (19 March 2013)

I'm having trouble remembering.  
Is it this series?
http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/dda.html

Thanks

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:16 pm 

No, it's the S series.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:00 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:<null>

Ugh.
I have a greater sentimental attachment to Tomb of Horrors, White Plume, etc, than I do even to the PHB.
I *hate it* that these guys own that stuff!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 am 

The product page for the Unearthed Arcana reprint is now up and it has this to say about errata:

"This book includes errata published in Dragon magazine."

:mrgreen:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:51 am 

Also, I see that the Against the Slave Lords collection includes a brand new adventure:

"Added to the collection is an all-new fifth adventure -- A0: Danger at Darkshelf Quarry -- that you can use to kick off an AD&D campaign that pits a group of adventurers against the evil Slave Lords! Module A0, designed for levels 1-3, sets the stage for events that unfold throughout the remainder of the "A" series."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:37 am 

Echohawk wrote:The product page for the Unearthed Arcana reprint is now up and it has this to say about errata:

"This book includes errata published in Dragon magazine."

:mrgreen:

Woooo, interesting. I wonder if they get it right, the table on allowable classes was a bit wonky and it confused some people.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:09 pm 

Echohawk wrote:Also, I see that the Against the Slave Lords collection includes a brand new adventure:

"Added to the collection is an all-new fifth adventure -- A0: Danger at Darkshelf Quarry -- that you can use to kick off an AD&D campaign that pits a group of adventurers against the evil Slave Lords! Module A0, designed for levels 1-3, sets the stage for events that unfold throughout the remainder of the "A" series."

Now that I'd like a copy of..

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:19 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:
Echohawk wrote:Also, I see that the Against the Slave Lords collection includes a brand new adventure:

Now that I'd like a copy of..

Damn, they figured out if they add new content, we'll all have to buy it!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:47 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Damn, they figured out if they add new content, we'll all have to buy it!

I'm not so sure they need to add new content in order for the reprints to sell relatively well. We would probably not be seeing Unearthed Arcana, S-series and A-series reprints if the initial PH/DMG/MM reprints hadn't sold okay. But it is still rather cool to be getting some new AD&D content.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:54 pm 

Thanks for all of the updates, Ant :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:10 pm 

Echohawk wrote:
TheHistorian wrote:Damn, they figured out if they add new content, we'll all have to buy it!

I'm not so sure they need to add new content in order for the reprints to sell relatively well. We would probably not be seeing Unearthed Arcana, S-series and A-series reprints if the initial PH/DMG/MM reprints hadn't sold okay. But it is still rather cool to be getting some new AD&D content.

That is a good point.

Who is writing this new AD&D stuff?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:39 pm 

Sardan wrote:Who is writing this new AD&D stuff?

I can only imagine. What they should have done is hire James Boney, thedungeondelver, Matt Finch, PatW, Guy Fullerton, Jim Kramer, Ghul etc. What they probably did is assign it to some guy who wasn't good enough to make their 5E team - some has been 4E RPGA guy.  :lol:

Anyway, might as well keep the bar low and hope for the best.

Last edited by Chainsaw on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:42 pm 

That's the part that has me concerned...

"WotC - Erasing the spirit of original D&D one paragraph at a time."

Hope not, but their track record isn't exactly stellar in this area.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:32 pm 

A1-4 are for levels 4-11, so I imagine they are adding the introductory adventure (levels 1-3) so they can market the compilation as a complete campaign or "adventure path".

I bet we'll see a reprint of T1-4 as well at some point.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:11 am 

Echohawk wrote:
TheHistorian wrote:.... But it is still rather cool to be getting some new AD&D content.

Totally  :D

I suspect that this is quite an important step. Of course one has a caveat in place concerning the prospective quality, but still a good sign. .. For me the straight reprints were a bit of a turn-off, I thought the cover design was very weak and the content I have already from the originals  :D  But new material whether neatly compiled from wider sources (e.g. magazines), or actual new adventures.. that makes me want to have a look. ...still be nice to have better design though! :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:12 pm 

Quite happy to have picked up all 3 for under £40 today, new copies too.
They'll be a good start for my sons, save my copies from the '80s :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:02 am 

We now know both the title and author of the new installment in the A-series. According to this link, A0 is titled Danger at Darkshelf Quarry and is written by Skip Williams.

The version being run at Winter Fantasy is the D&D Next version, but I expect the AD&D version in the re-released Slave Lords hardcover will be very similar. Here's the blurb for the Winter Fantasy version:

Winter Fantasy wrote:DND Next Preview: A0 - Danger at Darkshelf Quarry (2 hours): Darkshelf Quarry holds more than limestone and granite. Whispered rumors abound that the quarry's dwarf overseer isn't really a dwarf at all, and that he makes most of his money selling slaves, not stone. Investigation is the only way to learn the truth, but beware! The quarry is well defended, and danger lurks within its dark tunnels and hidden chambers. This adventure is a prequel to the Slave Lords series: A1 (Slave Pits of the Undercity), A2 (Secret of the Slavers Stockade), A3 (Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords), and A4 (In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords). Characters provided. (Slot 2 thru 11)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:16 am 

Has anyone seen a compiled list of errata for the reprints yet, either fan-made or from WotC?  Algolei mentioned two more errors over on the OW Minis board that I hadn't heard about yet:

- Storm Giants get 7 attacks/round per the DMG
- the PHB illusionist spell progression chart incorrecty granting a fifth level spell at 9th vs. 10th level

Ouch on both.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

PreviousNext