1st Edition AD&D books to be reprinted
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:47 am 

I'm not that interested in the reprints, unless they shrunk them down and printed them the same size as the 4E Rules Compendium was done. Then I'd be up for a set. Otherwise, I'll stick with my originals. I would be interested to see what gets reprinted on the back of these though, and I'd be up for PDFs also if they released a professional PDF release. I wonder then if this opens the market for rereleasing OOP third party product, or whether stuff still has to be rewritten to comply with the OGL. Starstone comes to mind.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:54 am 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:I just noticed something... They misspelled Players Handbook and Dungeon Masters Guide.

More accurately, they failed to misspell the titles :wink:

Ya gotta love the "no author" thing in their catalog, too. Yeah, they've got all kinds of respect for Gary Gygax...  

Don't read too much into that. Those two items have only just been added to the catalog. It isn't unusual for new catalog additions to be missing author credits. They do usually fix that when they update the cover art.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:16 am 

Echohawk wrote:Don't read too much into that. Those two items have only just been added to the catalog. It isn't unusual for new catalog additions to be missing author credits. They do usually fix that when they update the cover art.

I'm just giving them a hard time ;). I think it's a great idea, and I hope they follow it up with reprints of some of the early AD&D modules. If enough people buy these, maybe 5th ed. really will be 1st ed. (though I doubt it).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:53 am 

North America only  :roll:  

The question is: how much will be allocated to memurial funds, and how much for WizBro account...

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:28 am 

I'm surprised at some of the replies. I think this is great news, and I think it's good that they plan to contribute to the Gygax memorial fund. They didn't have to do either.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 am 

It's good to see them doing something with the property rather than locking it away and hoping that people forget that it existed.  Granted, you can pick up a set far cheaper on the secondary market but in this case I really do think that it's the thought that counts (mending of fences and all that).

From a business standpoint it's a win win IMHO.  Limited print run to keep the cost reasonable, the material has paid for itself a long time ago so there's no additional cost there, and with their light product launch year it gives them something in the pipe.  If all goes well then maybe they will consider some other options (reprint the classic modules, etc) since they are no longer available (legally) in .pdf format.

I'm at least curious enough to think about buying another set...have to see the covers they're going with though.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:08 am 

I can't wait to see what new "feats" they put in the books...I kid, I kid!

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:38 am 

It seems primarily aimed at us, aka the collector's market....there are literally thousands of the original D&D books till out there floating around if you want to get one for play.  These, I believe, are going to gauge collector's interest in older editions as well as whether or not we will support WOTC's efforts in that regard.

BTW, not AD&D, but definitely classic coolness for sale:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/m ... ha/1647436

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:38 am 

I wonder what the limited run will be. I'll buy a set of them, maybe.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:47 am 

If they were smart, they'd put all three books in a nice case.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:58 am 

On price:  Didn't module G1 cost $4.49 in 1978 dollars?  According to my inflation calculator that's $16.33 in 2012 dollars for 8 pages in a cheap folder.  :lol:
And a $12.99 Players Handbook would cost $47.25.

I'll probably buy a set to send a (tiny) message and give Wizards my first $ since they got rid of legal .pdfs.  Give us back our 1E library, originals are getting badly worn.

Not sure if their hearts are in the right place but this is the most encouraging old school gesture I've seen from Wizards since … 1999?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:55 pm 

Testing the waters. They've been tossing out olive branches for a couple of years trying to get the 'old guard' back into the fold. They want to get an idea of the sales base for 1E material, I'm guessing.

And they're doing this at some small expense. The flats for the originals are likely long since gone or useless by now. So, I'm guessing they've digitized this via direct scanning (the easy way), or OCR and layout in actual pages (the more time-consuming option).

Anyone else notice they got the number of pages in the MM and PHB reversed?  :D

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:15 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:Anyone else notice they got the number of pages in the MM and PHB reversed?  :D

Yes. Really makes me wonder.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:38 pm 

Badmike wrote:
BTW, not AD&D, but definitely classic coolness for sale:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/m ... ha/1647436

Mike B.

Wow! Cool!  :cheers:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:41 pm 

Badmike wrote:You can buy original copies of all of the books on ebay, in nice shape, for half that cost

Hell, they appear at Half Price Books on a regular basis, sometimes in outstanding condition, for $9 or less.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:53 pm 

I just can't see why there should be any bitterness involved with this at all.  Should raise the awarness for OSR publishers and new publishers alike.

I will get a set for sure  :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 pm 

Oh, and I happened to just think...

The reason for the new covers would likely be due to the original flats being gone. They can't reproduce the covers without the original art (not very well at any rate), which we all know where they are. WotC may not want to handle the expense of reproduction, or simply does not know where they are.

Starting to think these will be direct scans, but the use of OCR scanning may be useful for the new 'iteration' if language is being kept.

Last edited by SimperingToad on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 pm 

I just don't understand who, outside of collectors, will pay $115 for material they could find for $30 with minimal effort.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

PreviousNext