Who watches the watchers?
Author

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:21 pm 

Has anyone else been studying the "# of Watchers" column in My eBay while selling?  I'm noticing more and more that people are waiting to bid, but watching.  One item I have up right now has one bid for $0.01, and 27 watchers.
8O

Is this a side effect of sniping?  What do you use the watchlist for?  Personally, I use it to track weird purchases I might otherwise forget about later, but not for mainline buying.  I'm just honestly curious what's going on out there.
8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:25 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:Has anyone else been studying the "# of Watchers" column in My eBay while selling?  I'm noticing more and more that people are waiting to bid, but watching.  One item I have up right now has one bid for $0.01, and 27 watchers.
8O

Is this a side effect of sniping?  What do you use the watchlist for?  Personally, I use it to track weird purchases I might otherwise forget about later, but not for mainline buying.  I'm just honestly curious what's going on out there.
8)

In my case, I use it for monitoring stuff I think is valuable/rare, but can't afford to buy.  I wanna know how much it goes for.  Plus if I happen to see it at $0.01 with 5 mins to go, I'll throw out a $1 "why not" snipe.  Haven't had the opportunity yet.  I used to hate the watchlist, and put in a cheap bid early on just so that I wouldn't have to maintain both lists.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:05 am 

It's not really sniping. I use watching when I don't know what an item is actually worth, and don't want to place a bid until I get an idea. I also use it when I am not sure I will have money when the item ends, so I don't want to do a useless bid.

I also use it as an anti-sniping measure. When I know it is desired, and the item will get sniped, I watch it so I can outsnipe them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:25 am 

Am I the only one here who doesn't use sniping software?

I use the watch list to watch items I am interested in. . . I check it regularly and when an auction will end soon I decide if the price is right and I still want it.  I then open up a window, place my snipe bid. . . open up another window and watch the auction - I F5 my keyboard a few times, alt-tab with a few seconds to go and submit my bid. . .

If I can't be there to snipe it (or I don't really care if I win the item or not), I simply place a bid as close to the auction's end as I can.

My watch list is always full of items. . . if I have time, I even note what my max bid is, so I don't have figure it out again later.

As a seller, I find the watch list to be a great resource.  By noting the number of watchers, it helps to gauge the interest in particular items and the price being asked for it.  If an item doesn't sell, but it had 4 watchers, I know that there is still enough interest at the listed price.  If an item were to not sell after a few listings and gathered no watchers, then it might be time to "bump" down the minimum bid and BIN.   Even if an item sells, the number of watchers helps to predict future interest (this is important, of course, as I resell).

Sometimes, I watch items for a quick link so I can see the final price (like woodgrains, ST1's, etc.).

It never occurred to me that others might not be using their watch list all the time!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:47 am 

Does anyone use the Watchlist in AuctionSieve?
If not, why not? No need? Or does it lack something or you've just never tried it?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:29 am 

I use watch list extensively. Mostly for researching and estimating. Sometimes it is just curiousity.

I think alot of people do the same. My seller watch list is always loaded with watchers, some items more than others.

It can help also, if I have no watchers or bidders on an item after several days, I can go in and modify description, etc. to try and gain some looks. Generally, the more watchers the higher the final bid will go - unique items are another matter, of course.

Although, I can say I have as many as 10 watchers on a simple item - say a set of HC (PHB, DMG & MM) and yet not a single bid at $5.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:42 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:Am I the only one here who doesn't use sniping software?

I use the watch list to watch items I am interested in. . . I check it regularly and when an auction will end soon I decide if the price is right and I still want it.  I then open up a window, place my snipe bid. . . open up another window and watch the auction - I F5 my keyboard a few times, alt-tab with a few seconds to go and submit my bid. . .

If I can't be there to snipe it (or I don't really care if I win the item or not), I simply place a bid as close to the auction's end as I can.

My watch list is always full of items. . . if I have time, I even note what my max bid is, so I don't have figure it out again later.

As a seller, I find the watch list to be a great resource.  By noting the number of watchers, it helps to gauge the interest in particular items and the price being asked for it.  If an item doesn't sell, but it had 4 watchers, I know that there is still enough interest at the listed price.  If an item were to not sell after a few listings and gathered no watchers, then it might be time to "bump" down the minimum bid and BIN.   Even if an item sells, the number of watchers helps to predict future interest (this is important, of course, as I resell).

Sometimes, I watch items for a quick link so I can see the final price (like woodgrains, ST1's, etc.).

It never occurred to me that others might not be using their watch list all the time!

I am typically watching up to 45 items at any given time.
Many of them I also bid on, but most of them I never really expect to win, but still want to keep track of for some reason.

As I have already stated several times, I have never used any sort of snipping program before, though I have done as you (beyondthebreach) have done snipping by hand (No programs) at the end of an auction when I felt a need to do so. That is however, a rare occurance for me, as most of the time I Place my highest bid and wait, hoping that it is high enough to win the item. Most times it is not, and that is usually because someone else (Cougar, or Harami) has snipped me.

Otherwise, I typically use the Watch list for the reason it indicates. I use the watch list to watch an item for any of several reasons. To watch the item, without committing a bid, or to keep track of an item, knowing that for one reason or another I cannot afford it, but still wanting to know what it sold for, or to watch an item that I am selling, so I have more than one way to get to it swiftly if I need to,

As for snipping by others? I have several thoughts on it, after having nursed an item for 7-10 days, and then being outbid with mere second to go, well that sort of thing gets real old real quick.

My problem is however, that I cannot blaim the snippers, as it is so obviously a part of the realm of existance on E-Bay. I have just never done it. They are simply using the system as it is set up.

I suppose it has to do with some sort of gut feeling that something about snipping does not seem quite right to me. Please don't ask me to explain this as I cannot. I have tried to think about my feelings on snipping and I simply do not know...

I think I may soon pony up and purchase some sort of snipping software, as I am getting quite discouraged and somewhat fed up at loosing bids in the last 10 seconds or less.......especially when it is a several hundred dollar item and I loose by a dollar or less.....  :roll:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:44 pm 

NEV, what is auctionsieve?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm 

its in the links some sort of program to help you find ebay stuff

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:12 pm 

I can explain what seems wrong about sniping.  In a live auction, if a last minute bid comes in, the auction is extended.  "Going once, going twice ... wait, I have 385 from the lady in red ... anyone else, 400?  Yes, 400 here ..."  You can't be sniped in a live auction, unless they're on some twisted time limit or something.  You can only be outbid when you've had recourse and a chance to respond.

This brings up a crucial point most people don't like to accept:  eBay is not a professional auction house.  It's an online, mass-auction simulator.  There is no auctioneer, it's a venue only.  In lieu of an auctioneer, a time limit has to be set up.  The alternative would be to let any bid extend the time of the auction, and for many reasons and possible exploits that I'd rather not elaborate, eBay has no intention of going that route.  So, the time limits are solid.  This fact can be exploited by someone willing to save a buck.

eBay recognizes this fact.  As they say:

">>Someone bid on an item I was bidding on at the very last second and won it! Is this allowed?"
"Yes, it is. Within the eBay Community, this practice is called "sniping" and it means to place a high bid in the closing seconds of an auction-style listing. As frustrating as it can be to lose an item you really wanted, sniping is part of the eBay experience, and all bids placed before a listing ends are valid - even if they're placed only one second before the listing ends. One way to help avoid disappointment is to ensure that the maximum bid you enter on the item page is the highest price that you're willing to pay. The eBay system automatically increases your bid up to the maximum price you specify, so entering a higher maximum may help prevent you from being outbid in the closing seconds of a listing."

For a fuller take on the subject, see also:
The Politics of Sniping

The short of it is that I recommend sniping.
:wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:22 pm 

If you wanna win bid high!  If you wanna get high save your money for drugs and not D&D books! :twisted:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:07 pm 

Aneoth - it's a program to make wading through the results of eBay searches *heaps* easier & faster & even fun(TM)!
Many of the people on these forums (including Foul) are daily users!  :D

Check it out :
eBay auction search software tool | AuctionSieve

Regarding Watchlists - here's what the AuctionSieve Watchlist has that the eBay one doesn't :
- add an unlimited number of items
- automatically cleans itself - once an auction ends, it gets removed from the Watchlist and transferred to your Price History
- the Price History will keep the auction details forever - no 90 day limit
- highlight a word - eg tsojconth and you'll instantly get the average price of all tsojconth's in your Price History
- highlight any eBay URL in explorer or any other program - hit Ctrl-c to copy it to your clipboard and AuctionSieve will add it to your Watchlist
- select multiple auctions from a search result and add them all to your Watchlist with one click (great for building up your Price History)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:47 pm 

As an unsolicited plug here -- AuctionSieve is amazing, and I do indeed use it daily.  Now if I only had the funds to actually win something....

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:18 am 

Thanks Foul!
The B2 is in the mail.

What's that you say? The going rate for endorsements is a woodgrain? Oh.... :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:54 am 

darkseraphim wrote:Has anyone else been studying the "# of Watchers" column in My eBay while selling?

I didn't have this.  But I've just realised that you can add it using the "Customise " link.  I don't remember it being there last time I sold something.  But it is very interesting now that I've got stuff to sell.