B.A.D.D. stands for Bothered About D & D
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:26 pm 

It never ceases to amaze me how much like a sheep the average person is.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:33 pm 

In response to the needing of additional supplements in order to cast the D&D spells, I offer the following link:

The Escapist: Spellcasting 101

Insert interesting and/or humorous quote here.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:09 am 

megabump from years ago...
not sure if this scan of the booklet was linked before, but here it is. Fun reading!

The Escapist - As BADD As It Gets

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:07 am 

Just as an update, Pat Pulling's partner in crime, Thomas Radecki, has faced some "troubles" since he supported BADD:  W. Pa. addiction doc charged in drugs-for-sex plan | Local News  - WTAE Home

Aside: Great to see so many old familiar names on those posts from 2004!  Miss a lot of those guys.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:23 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote in B.A.D.D. stands for Bothered About D & D:We have a digest size booklet titled "A Christian Response to Dungeons & Dragons: The Catechism of the New Age" (1987 by Dominion Press). It is worth a few laughs.

I have this - I like the way it is digest sized. Suggesting that the '80s kid who received it would file it away with his already obsolete OD&D set, where it would lie in wait for the attentions of all those '80s OD&D players & maybe save a few souls. When I was a teenager & worked in a pizza kitchen, someone claimed to have found a Jack Chick booklet next to a used hypodermic needle in the ladies room. Maybe the booklet saved someone's soul by being the same approximate size of an addict's equipment. Too bad I haven't managed to acquire a Dark Dungeons booklet yet.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:21 pm 

sauromatian wrote in B.A.D.D. stands for Bothered About D & D:
burntwire brothers wrote in B.A.D.D. stands for Bothered About D & D:We have a digest size booklet titled "A Christian Response to Dungeons & Dragons: The Catechism of the New Age" (1987 by Dominion Press). It is worth a few laughs.

I have this - I like the way it is digest sized. Suggesting that the '80s kid who received it would file it away with his already obsolete OD&D set, where it would lie in wait for the attentions of all those '80s OD&D players & maybe save a few souls. When I was a teenager & worked in a pizza kitchen, someone claimed to have found a Jack Chick booklet next to a used hypodermic needle in the ladies room. Maybe the booklet saved someone's soul by being the same approximate size of an addict's equipment. Too bad I haven't managed to acquire a Dark Dungeons booklet yet.

Dark Dungeons? Several copies signed by Satan himself were sold at NTRPG con's midnight auction for a buck each!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:24 pm 

Since this thread has been recently rezzed why not? :

Dungeons & Dragons Saved My Life - The New Yorker

The owls are not what they seem...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:21 pm 

Agent Cooper wrote in B.A.D.D. stands for Bothered About D & D:Since this thread has been recently rezzed why not? :

Dungeons & Dragons Saved My Life - The New Yorker

This is a great article for lots of reasons.  And while D&D did not save my life, it significantly changed my reading habits and probably improved my intellect.  While I have met dumb D&D players, it is obvious to me that D&D more often than not attracts intelligent people.  It is sad to me that arguably the most popular hobbies today are video/computer games which apparently do not improve one's intellect much, if at all.   :cry:

It should also be noted that D&D also seems to attract people with poorer social skills on average, but I personally believe that D&D helps improve social skills as players, hopefully, role-play diplomacy, dragon flattery, enemy intimidation and other different encounters.  It puts people together, forcing them to interact, in a world where the consequences don't have to be long-term or detrimental to their self-esteem.  Our current world rewards the winners and demotes the losers, but the D&D world helps make winners of all who play.   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:56 am 

Nice article. Now that I am living with my family again, I really need to get my act together and arrange some games for my kids to get them away from their screens!

Now that my collection is really locked away in storage, can anyone direct me to some digital resources? I may buy some cheap, rough play sets and modules and try to post here. I'm told the post is good. Testing now.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:16 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote in B.A.D.D. stands for Bothered About D & D:Nice article. Now that I am living with my family again, I really need to get my act together and arrange some games for my kids to get them away from their screens!

Now that my collection is really locked away in storage, can anyone direct me to some digital resources? I may buy some cheap, rough play sets and modules and try to post here. I'm told the post is good. Testing now.

Lots and lots of free online resources, including free downloads of rules systems like Swords & Wizardry (OD&D clone).  Untitled

Free download of OSRIC, 1st edtion AD&D simulacrum:
Untitled

Free download of the Labyrinth Lord rules (no art version), a retro-clone of B/X D&D:
Goblinoid Games - Products - Labyrinth Lord

Blueholme Prentice Rules is a clone of the Holmes Basic D&D rules, and it's free (Pay What You Want) online, there is also an adventure called The Maze of Nuromen that goes with it....might be good for teaching kids how to play
RPGNow.com - Dreamscape Design - The Leading Source for Indie RPGs

Here is the list at Dragonsfoot of all free OSR adventure downloads, some of these are really good. I'd recommend the one's by Dyson's Delve, they are usually good, short basic D&D type adventures.
Dragonsfoot • View topic - Links to 212 Free Modules/Adventures (DF and Others)

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:18 am 

For me, it was not D&D that changed my life, but comic books, eventually leading to RPGs...  I was a young boy of 10 and could barely read, favoring only sports and the outdoors (climbing trees, spelunking, etc.).   My parents tried everything they could, including praise and punishment, to get me to do the work in school but to no avail.  I cared nothing for reading and math and did quite poorly then.  I wanted only to be outside, besting the neighborhood kids in baseball and football, and running through the woods playing the imaginary games that kids played then.

The day after school let out for the summer, I was running through tall grass and stepped on a board full of roofing nails... two or three entered the bones in my foot, pretty much incapacitating me for the entire summer.  I had to keep my foot up for several weeks, soaking my damaged foot in a tub several times per day.  This was worse than having to go to school every day!  TV wasn't really a big thing then, and I did watch a few shows on Saturday morning, but the rest of my time was spent staring out the window, jealous of the neighborhood kids running around and having fun.

My mom happened to pick up a couple of comic books at the local pharmacy.  I forget which ones they were now, but she picked out ones that had less writing and more pictures.  I was pretty far behind in my reading level and she was probably hoping that I would be able to handle these.  At first, I resisted reading them because it was "reading"... but eventually, bored to tears, I picked one up and read the entire thing (it might have been the first book I read cover to cover!).  Fairly soon after that, my mother was making several stops a week, picking up comic books for me to read.  Soon thereafter, it was short pulp fiction stories, mostly Wild West and Sci Fi if I recall.  

By the time I returned to school, not only had I finally caught up in my reading level, but surpassed it!  The teachers were amazed at the summer transformation; generally I got worse over the summer!

Stepping on those nails did me a favor!  It led to better reading, making me a better student.  Who knows how I would have turned out - I come from a family of college athletes, so I might have also gone on to play sports in college... I was a student-athlete in high school and did receive a few scholarships for football (which I turned down), but I was always a student first.

As for RPGs, I found D&D in 1981 and it took my fascination of sword and sorcery fantasy to the next level of imagination - I'm forever changed by that first D&D encounter, but that's another story...

Thom (throwi)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:16 am 

Thanks for the links Mike!

Nice post Thom. In fact, I think I'll give your system a run first. Should be good to try with my boys.

Previous