B.A.D.D. stands for Bothered About D & D
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:59 am 

I found a site with information on the old  80''s group B.A.D.D., while doing reasearch for our movie. I remember this B.A.D.D. causing a living hell in our household when my mother got hold of some of their propoganda at our local church. The Game had to go underground for a little while, for my brother and I.
 Patricia Pulling founded B.A.D.D. after her son allegedly commited suicide becauce of D&D. The site (It my not even be operational) claims to sell literature and tapes about the bad influences of D&D. The one I'm most interested in is  #106   A  LAW ENFORCMENT PRIMER ON FANTASY  ROLE  PLAYING  GAMES. Are you kidding me with this one! Law Enforcment Primer's are what the police use to educate officers with trouble groups like gangs. They explain symbols, known hangouts, etc.. So along that line of thinking next time you see a suspicious white van parked across from your local game store, have no fear it's just the FBI on a stakeout. You'd better also check those pizza delivery boxes for wire taps.
Those D&Der's are up to no good I tell you!

LINK:
http://www.holysmoke.org/wb/wb0017.htm

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:54 pm 

I actually have a book I got for kicks called "The Trouble with D&D" which has some outrageous Christian allegations of self divinity, witchcraft and satan worship. I find it hillarious, and love to show it off to people who know about the game.

Those pale goobers in the basement talking about elves and faeries are obviously satanists!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:06 pm 

We have a digest size booklet titled "A Christian Response to Dungeons & Dragons: The Catechism of the New Age" (1987 by Dominion Press). It is worth a few laughs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:30 pm 

And don't forget the poster child of anti-D&D BS, Dark Dungeons.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:37 pm 

Here is the best refutation of B.A.D.D. out there.  

Michael Stackpole made it his personal crusade to inform the public about just how UN-informed Patricia Pulling was.

Michael A. Stackpole: The Pulling Report

Carl

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:41 pm 

She lost her son to suicide because she didn't raise him right, or didn't pay attention to him. End of story.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:05 pm 

Around 1981 or so we had to change the name of High School Club from Military History Club to something ridiculous...I can't even remember...Then around 1986 or so, I heard they had to eliminate the club entirely because of parent complaints.

I graduated in 1982, so I don't know all the details, but the complaining parents had no kids that were in the club!

Now this was never a very large group, maybe about 10-15 people any given year. And we played AD&D, but we also played micro armor and WWII naval battles (w/minis). We played Fridays after school (which sucked during football season because I had to be at the field by 5 p.m.

Anyway, the people in the club were for the most part geeky. No denying it. But they were also generally in the top 20% of their class, as far as grades went. Several were in the top 10 every year. Most played at least one sport. Yet it was this group that got attacked by moronic people who never took the time to look at the facts.

Seems to me they could have spent more time going after the real problems that persist in high school - bullies, snobs, burn-outs, etc. But lets attack the kids who are involved and staying away from drugs and crime by making them go out and find other things to do.

Side note: That satanism arguement is a joke and always has been.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:26 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:She lost her son to suicide because she didn't raise him right, or didn't pay attention to him. End of story.

Obviously.  Although there may have been other issues involved as well, such as untreated depression.

But the one thing that IS clear is that D&D had no role in it.

But denial is a powerful force, especially in those who lose a loved one to suicide.  They will often look for anything to blame it on, other than themselves.

Carl

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:41 am 

On the flip side. . .  even though he had no interest himself, my dad used to love that I played Dungeons & Dragons.  He thought it was great how involved I got in reading, creating maps and adventures and how much it increased my vocabulary.

As counterpart to all the allegations against what D&D does to "young impressionable minds" - here is a short list of things I learned from Dungeons & Dragons.

- HISTORY: There is no way to list every way that D&D benefited me in this regard.  Suffice it to say:  we all know about ancient & medieval arms, armor, & equipment.  Then there are tactics of warfare, governmental organizations (feudalism, monarchy, etc.) & titles of royalty/nobility (I believe the order is Baron, Viscount, Count, Marquis, Duke, Archduke & King - perhaps Emperor next).
 Let's not forget about castles and engines of war: we all know what a trebuchet is, a mangonel, murder holes, barbicans, crenelations, etc. etc.

MYTHOLOGY & FOLKLORE:  Again, we could probably talks for hours about this subject.  We likely all had a more detailed and complete understanding of different mythologies by age 13 then most people have in their entire lives.  Not to mention the creatures, stories and peoples of legend - just grab your Monster Manual!

GRAMMAR, WORD ORIGINS:  Without even realizing it, we all greatly increased our vocabulary.  Think of the thousands of words that you know well because of Dungeons and Dragons.  

CARTOGRAPHY - GEOGRAPHY: Maps are very cool!!! We all know that - I am sure that most of you have spent hours designing and creating maps. . . This in turn sparks interest in actual Geography and a desire to create realistic worlds.  

CREATIVITY:  This needs no real explanation.  Obviously, D&D fuels creative and inventive thinking.  It sparks further interest in reading and writing and increases our ability to conceptualize and visualize images related through words.  We learn to create both settings and personalities that grow and assume a life of their own (just like a good book!)

I am sure this is just a tiny bit of what D&D has to offer.  Anyone with a little bit of knowledge would see how greatly positive an effect D&D can have on a young person.  If you are worried about the violence. . . well, I guess I'd rather pretend to kill someone with an axe then fear I will be damned to the fires of hell (not quite as many bad dreams that way. . .)

:twisted:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:34 am 

Beyond...

Those are all solid points.

It is clear that playing this game a youth had benefits. What the detractors want people to believe is that the game is the road to satanic behavior and that is all.

Problem is, there has never been any proof that playing AD&D illicits abnormal behavior in someone who already isn't predisposed to said behavior. It is like saying because someone plays monopoly they are gonna become a millionaire. Nope. Just doesn't work that way.

A certian percentage of any group is going to have problems. That's the law of averages.

But clearly what Beyond points out is correct. I can definately derive plenty of "academic" bonuses from playing AD&D. It certainly augmented my pathetic high school education.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:02 am 

I don't think we were ever affected in Australia by all that BADD stuff.
Certainly I didn't come across it till later and the majority of people I've played with through the years have been Christians. Kind of went along with being a geek at my school.

Nev

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:00 am 

nev wrote:I don't think we were ever affected in Australia by all that BADD stuff.
Certainly I didn't come across it till later and the majority of people I've played with through the years have been Christians. Kind of went along with being a geek at my school.

Nev

I remember this being a big issue back in the '80s when I was in Canada (I never saw any of this in Australia - I think we are more relaxed here with less of the extremist groups).  Since then I haven't heard much. Is it still an issue in the US?  Of course I had parents who never worried about it and even bought most of my early gear (thanks mom!).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:16 pm 

The US is a religious backwater - at least the Midwest portion of it - and thus you have a lot of fundamentalists finding it necessary to continuously find windmills of modern culture to attack.

Unfortunately, they have (mostly) moved on from D&D and now are trying to outlaw the teaching of Evolution in the public schools.

Carl

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:56 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:On the flip side. . .  even though he had no interest himself, my dad used to love that I played Dungeons & Dragons.  He thought it was great how involved I got in reading, creating maps and adventures and how much it increased my vocabulary.

As counterpart to all the allegations against what D&D does to "young impressionable minds" - here is a short list of things I learned from Dungeons & Dragons.

[snipped examples, even though they were good ones]

I am sure this is just a tiny bit of what D&D has to offer.  Anyone with a little bit of knowledge would see how greatly positive an effect D&D can have on a young person.  If you are worried about the violence. . . well, I guess I'd rather pretend to kill someone with an axe then fear I will be damned to the fires of hell (not quite as many bad dreams that way. . .)

:twisted:

Man, our dads should get together for a beer. Mine just admitted to me that he always thought the D&D scene was healthy. He knew I was socializing, doing some math, reading a lot, and generally having a pretty good time — sans drugs, sans satanism, etc. (sans girls, too, but I worked on that later).

Anyway, great post. You hit all the high points of role-playing's fringe benefits.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:14 pm 

It also works on creativity, problem-solving, imagination, quick thinking, and even social skills if the DM is really good. There are a million ways it is beneficial. Plus you can bang tavern sluts.

Any belief, whether it is religious, political, sexual, whatever it is, becomes a liability when you choose to ignore the fact that others may not share your beliefs. Take India, for example. People starve to death while cows walk the streets unmolested. If it were me, there'd be frigging steaks a'broiling long before I emulated Ally McBeal. But they have different beliefs, and I have no problems with that, as long as they don't impinge on me.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:39 am 

Nev wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think we were ever affected in Australia by all that BADD stuff.

I remember there being a problem in Queensland in the eighties.  a relative shipped some books to Perth as a present for me, just as the Government (apparently) were pulling D&D from the shelves over there for a while.

Sometimes people just get heir own way if they yell & scream loud enough regardless of whether their arguments hold water to the general populace. The vocal minority? JMO

Adder

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:32 pm 

Traveller wrote:

And don't forget the poster child of anti-D&D BS, Dark Dungeons.

I can't stop laughing :lol: . I think they need an additional supplement in order for their D&D group if their going to be casting real spells. I forgot about these Chicks's. Are you kidding me………..I don't know what to say. From the hot comic book style dungeon mistress (I don't remember any DM like that) to the girls "life in shambles"……Some of these frames should become T-shirts. We've already considered printing a few T's with the B.A.D.D. logo to wear at GenCon next year. It's ought to cause a few laughs. It's such a blast from the past remembering that feeling of how ridiculed some people made you feel as a youngster for playing D&D. 30 years and still kicking HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! It's going to take a lot more than a pamphlet to stop us!  :D  

Invincible 8)

Additional supplement the Dark Dungeons group needs to play: :lol:

eBay

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:57 pm 

Is that any good? I have two printings and have never even read them.

Next