"Favorite" Module
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:21 am 

As a sort of counter part to the Best Module thread, I ask this:

What is your personally favorite module? Why do you like it so much? When is the last time you played in/ran it?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:37 am 

My most favorite module is I3-5 Desert of Desolation. It was the first big campaign we played in AD&D and it was the grandest thing so far for our group. We played it again about 2 years ago and it was even more fun than the frist time :D. This campaign had it all. Mummies, pyramids, evil dungeons, vicious traps and an overall very cool setting with good enemies and a vile arch-villain.

I am still trying to get my hands on the campaign set ( I think its a boxed set iirc) so i dont have to get it from my DM because I plan to run this gem for my current group of players. Since I play in Greyhawk I just have to find a nice and cozy place where I can place the pyramid and them I am ready for some fun :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:02 am 

Do you mean the german boxed set:
Page Not Found
or the Supermodule:
Page Not Found

The former should be availale on ebay.de for not too much money.

In Greyhawk I`d place it in the  far west (Erypt), reachable by portal or teleportation or something like that:
404 - File or directory not found.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:23 am 

Hi Frank

Yeah I meant the supermodule. Acaeum puts it at 20$ for a VG version. I'll see for what it goes on ebay though but I guess it will be around 30-40 :)

Normally I wouldn't by FR stuff since I try to concentrate on Greyhawk but this module has a special place in me heart.

And the tip for the far west sounds fair enough for me. Looks like its as remote as where the orginal modules were placed on the Realms. We came to the desert via the mists of Ravenloft after we wacked the rear-end of a ghoul lord in the demiplane of dread and stopping the prophecy of Hyskosia from some hundreds of years *g*.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:57 am 

As I recall (and I could be wrong) the original modules weren't set in FR but were just in a generic egyptain setting and were later transplanted to the Realms.  I see no reason why they shouldn't be set somewhere in the west of Oerth near the Baklunish lands or even in the Sea of Dust.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:06 am 

I used them in Sea of Dust. And yes, it is a generic series. The rules for the Sea of Dust usually either have to be suspended, or altered. It is supposed to be used in a relatively non-hostile desert, at least environmentally.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:29 am 

We played exclusively Greyhawk. (There was no FR back then) We located the I3-5 set there without problem. Of course, that was before the supermodule was printed.
Man...I am getting old... 8O

Back to the thread at hand...I'll stick with the campaign style modules...

Of course the A series comes to mind. Played them as they came out and it took a long time to get through it (I DMed). I guess it is hard to put them in perspective today, but those module were very good. Each one had numerous new monsters, great problem-solving situations and some great enemy NPCs. Who can forget that blind fighter that has a ring of fire resistence and jumps into the huge fire pit and hurls globs of flaming grease at the PCs! Guys from my group still remember that encounter - from 20 freaking years ago! It still makes them shiver 8O  :D  8O Ah yes, the good old days...simple yet new everyday...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:57 am 

Somehow I have the word Mystara flying around in my head when I think about I3-5. Dunno why but I have the feeling that I read once that it was supposed to be located in the Mystara setting. But when I searched the net again later I only found infos about the supermodule (or at least the German version of I3-5) being set in the Realms and the original not being specified at all. So I didnt mention it in my first post. But oh well, wherever it was located, it's one of my most favorite modules right in front of Dead Gods and the Modron March.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:17 pm 

You might be thinking Mystara because GAZ2 suggested those modules for a Nithian campaign, along with I9.  It could work in Ylaruam or Nithia with some modifications.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:25 am 

The Original T1-4 Modules followed by the giants series were as good as it gets when DMed well, especially when followed all the way through the Drow and finally on to the Queen of the Demonweb Pits.

My favorite experience DMing was when I DMed the Ruins of Greyhawk. The first one, not the comedy.  I played in it many years previously and absolutely loved it then (We had a great DM).

Some of my favorite memories involve a Peanut Butter chomping Dwarven Battlerager. He was absolutely hilarious, until the fateful moment when he thought the Yellow Mold spread all along the floor and walls was peanut butter.

"Mmmmm. Peanut BUTTER!!! Charge!!! ARGGGGG....!!!"

He died trying to get back out of that room. But we all laughed heartily nontheless.

There was Also an Elf thief in the group. He died so many times that his constitution ended up so low that he was barely able to walk without a cane. He was finally killed permanantly in the Pyramid portion at the bottom of one of the towers after being hit with a hurled glob of Molten Lava. Nothing was left to raise....

His last words were... "How can they see me? I was invisible!!!"

DM-"Sorry, they heard the crunching of the cane on the lava ash....."
:roll:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:00 pm 

Shingen wrote:As a sort of counter part to the Best Module thread, I ask this:

What is your personally favorite module? Why do you like it so much? When is the last time you played in/ran it?

I have two favorites.  B1 In Search of the Unknown was the first module I ever adventured in, as well as the first I ever DM'ed.  Through the years, it's served as a great starting out point for neophyte gamers of all varieties, and is especially good for those who have never played RPGs ever...it's kind of the dungeon that meets expectations of new gamers, as well as being completely generic in that any monsters/encounters can be placed withing.  Through the years, I've ran it probably 15 times and always tried to put a sinister villain type on the lower level exit room so that the first adventure can end up a cool and sometimes deadly confrontation.  Many first/second level parties have found the secret back entrance at great cost, but I have to honestly say that I have never, not once, heard a negative word about the adventure anytime I have ever ran it. The last time I ran it was a couple of years ago for a beginning party of kids who had never played an RPG before (ages 12-16) and they had a blast.
   Second would have to be the Giant series G1-3.  I have many fond memories as do my players because it was the first "published" adventures I put them through after going through homebrewed crap I had created to get them up to 7th level or so (during 1979 or so I believe).  That group also went through D1-3 as well as Q1, taking several years of on and off gaming.  Through the years I've run the G series many, many times, and I've had players actually go through it multiple times as parts of different campaigns in the last 20+ years. They didn't care, they still loved it.  I've ran it in Greyhawk, in the Forgotten Realms, in generic settings, and in my own campaign world. About half the funny gaming stories I have come from the giant feasting room in G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief!!!  Pretty much a classic.  The last time I ran it was recently, a group I am running now is going through a "classics" campaign of 1st edition modules I've adapted to 2nd edition, and they just finished G1-3 and are in the middle of D1 Descent Into the Depths right now.  The classics campaign consisted of B1, B2, X1, L1, FRQ1 (Ok, not a classic, or even 1st edition, but I always wanted to run it), T1-4, G1-3 and now the D-series. Lots of fun, even though some of the guys have been through most of the above adventures already. There's someting about your first giant kill....you just never forget.....

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:14 am 

Interestingly, I actually has a campaign world where a whole nation sprung up around Quasqueton, the fortress from B1. That adventure has been used by me in every edition of the game.

The module Destiny of Kings is also a great one! That one has a huge amount of stuff for any party, and I had one particular game of basic D&D in it that gave rise to a favorite character of a party member.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:06 pm 

My favorite would have to be the original Ravenloft.  I loved playing it and I enjoyed it just as much years later when I DM'ed it for the first time.  Strahd was a great character and I made him a complete badass.

A close second was the Giants series.  There was so much bloodshed and loot to be found.  Finding out later that they led into the rest of the Descent and Drow modules made it even better.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:12 pm 

I will also have to say that the orginal Ravenloft would be my #1 pick. I went thru it on a halloween weekend YEARS ago.

There was a thunderstorm raging outside for a while that really added to the game, plus playing on halloween weekend added to the effect also.  Our DM was more of a "thinking man's DM" and didn't really get into much hack n' slash. I think that really added to the way he put us through the module, what's more, he was a Performing arts major in college and he really played it up. He had dry ice going, dim red lights, organ music playing etc..... I had never really gamed in a campaign like that before, I was just used to leads and geomorphs on a kitchen table....

It was a marathon session for my group and we gamed for HOURS straight (I don't remember exactly how many). I was running on a diet of Mountain Dew and BBQ potato chips and ended up passing out at the table.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:07 pm 

Now that is bizarre....

I ran I6 on Halloween when it first came out. I think it was released in late Summer and I planned to run it Halloween night. We played the whole thing that night. That was a long time ago.

8O  8O  8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/