cougarrinard has GOT to be a millionare
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:27 pm 

Aneoth,

While I sympathize with your plight, at least take solace that your losing the auctions to a legitimate bidder.  It's much more frustrating to "win" auctions and never receive anything, or to find that you were the victim of a shill, etc.

Sometimes you just have to be sneaky and/or patient.  At some point cougar will get bored and move elsewhere, or one can hope.  Or maybe Burntwire will just offer his whole collection to Cougar at an insane price such that Cougar can't afford any more =)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:38 pm 

By all means, tarnish and degrade. Do not pretty up anything. Too many people in the world beat around the bush, or bandy words. Just say what you mean, and mean what you say.
CougarRetard is a dick who manipulates prices at our expense.
See how easy it is?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:16 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:By all means, tarnish and degrade. Do not pretty up anything. Too many people in the world beat around the bush, or bandy words. Just say what you mean, and mean what you say.
See how easy it is?

8O

lol I agree with this post

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:28 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:By all means, tarnish and degrade. Do not pretty up anything. Too many people in the world beat around the bush, or bandy words. Just say what you mean, and mean what you say.
See how easy it is?

Oh, sorry, I thought this was the "Cougar retard has GOT to be a flaming dumbass" thread.  
Cougar retard can be beat, I've beat him myself several times and I've seen him lose a lot of high profile auctions just recently.  The secret is to snipe, either by program or by hand, just a couple of minutes before the auction end.  He doesn't seem to have any sort of program set up himself, and it usually takes him several minutes if not longer to respond (I've actually bid on stuff just to see how long it takes him to outbid, just for the hell of it).  Just don't try to take him on mano a mano, he will just keep upping the bid.  Wait for your spot, then pick him off.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:38 am 

I've bene fairly Pissed off by Cougar recently.  He bids on everything and then resells at amssive prices.  I am looking for a map (just the map) from Marklands and one came up with some other stuff.  Cougar was bidding.  I emailed him to see if we can do a deal (I had bought from him in the past -and the transactoion was fine btw) and he said no he wanted the map as well.  Okay fair enough BUT  He had a Marklands on eBay at the time.  It has never sold (he has a reserve on it) and it is constantly listed.  Why did he want the map - to make another complete and constantly sell that one too.

It is depressing as I collect for fun and cannot outbid him if he is planning on reselling at extortionate prices.  He must be carrying a shit load of money in stock though.

Oh well I'm gonna try sniping next time I'm up against him on something I really want.  He does seem to be more prevalent than ever though.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:05 am 

Badmike wrote:The secret is to snipe, either by program or by hand, just a couple of minutes before the auction end.  He doesn't seem to have any sort of program set up himself, and it usually takes him several minutes if not longer to respond (I've actually bid on stuff just to see how long it takes him to outbid, just for the hell of it).  Just don't try to take him on mano a mano, he will just keep upping the bid.  Wait for your spot, then pick him off.
Mike B.

johnhuck wrote:My advice is don't bid normally against cougar, snipe him.  Providing that no one else gets in the way, he will not up his original bid.  So, providing that you know his usual bid increments, you will always win at a much lower price.  :wink:

If you simply high bid straight away on an item he wants, expect counter bids of 11,22,33,44,55, etc.

As Badmike and I said before, sniping works a treat against cougar.  He bids against so much stuff that he doesn't have time to counter bid.  I just hope he never starts using sniping software 8O

As much as I hate seeing his name against an item I want, he must be doing something right.  He was bidding on loads of stuff when I started on eBay and he already had a feedback of over 500.

Maybe we underestimate how many people collect D&D without using eBay to save money.  :?

If I had to cost the time I spend online in the pursuit of D&D, it would be much cheaper to just buy stuff from cougar (even at his prices).  Plus I would have all that extra time to do those things I keep putting off.

A pity costing your time isn't quite the same as actually having the money.  So, I guess I'll have to stick with eBay, save some money and keep putting off those other jobs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:19 pm 

lol he can't be that rich he's always bidding on diaper coupons.  Guess he is raising a bunch of little cougers; future child labor to post and ship his ebay auctions.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:12 pm 

Cougarettes. Or Cougarettetards.
OR, maybe he's trying to corner the diaper coupon market and raise the price.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:20 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:maybe he's trying to corner the diaper coupon market and raise the price.

I bet your right!

I should snipe his Diaper auctions!  PAYBACK!!!!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:09 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Cougarettes. Or Cougarettetards.
OR, maybe he's trying to corner the diaper coupon market and raise the price.

The more you think about it, the stranger it is.  Here's a man willing to drop $1000 on a auction for a D&D module lot, yet he can't scrape together a couple of pounds for some nappies?  Odd priorities...

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:17 am 

Sardan wrote:It is depressing as I collect for fun and cannot outbid him if he is planning on reselling at extortionate prices.  He must be carrying a shit load of money in stock though.

Actually I think a lot of low budget collectors (myself included) feel this way, and not just about Cougar.  Unless you catch most of the eBay community napping, you're not going to find too many affordable rare items.  I've had a couple of decent finds, but I think it's fair to say I'll never own an ST1.  Unless I find that elusive copy in a yardsale....

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:17 am 

maybe he SELLS diapers to make money to spend thousands on D&D books, so his reasoning is if he buys all the diaper coupons his customers will have to pay his full outrageous prices for his diapers.  he makes more money on his diapers and can buy MORE D&D books.  it's his evil scheme to corner both the D&D and Diaper markets.  then he'll open his own super store, D&D&D (Dungeons and Dragons and Diapers)... :P

-dave

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:37 am 

dsaunders wrote:maybe he SELLS diapers to make money to spend thousands on D&D books, so his reasoning is if he buys all the diaper coupons his customers will have to pay his full outrageous prices for his diapers.  he makes more money on his diapers and can buy MORE D&D books.  it's his evil scheme to corner both the D&D and Diaper markets.  then he'll open his own super store, D&D&D (Dungeons and Dragons and Diapers)... :P

or maybe he wears the diapers!  :oops:  AH HA!  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:09 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 4330293455

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:36 pm 

i was thinking, someone could probably make a decent amount of money by selling off an H1 one piece at a time, since cougarrinard would pay an outrageous sum of money to make sure he get's each piece...

-dave

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:15 am 

The diaper coupon fetish is probably some scheme to turn them in to one of the coupon clearinghouses. I used to work in retailing, and we'd send in garbage bags full of coupons for redemption. It's big business in the grocery industry. I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but it's probably along the same lines.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:16 am 

In case anyone is still active on this thread I have posted a new thread about cougar. He's still at it!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:52 am 

red_dawn wrote in cougarrinard has GOT to be a millionare:The diaper coupon fetish is probably some scheme to turn them in to one of the coupon clearinghouses. I used to work in retailing, and we'd send in garbage bags full of coupons for redemption. It's big business in the grocery industry. I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but it's probably along the same lines.

It isn't. Coupons in the uk are nothing like in the us.

Previous