New filtering system
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:13 am 

Just released a major update  to AuctionSieve.
You can do all sorts of filtering and the filters can be turned on and off with instantaneous effect on your results.

So you could go and grab the D&D category, turn on the 'Has Buy It Now' filter to quickly check through those auctions, then flip to 'Doesn't have BIN' to check the rest combined with a filter to see those with more than 10 bids to see where the action is, etc etc etc.

Enjoy! (And let me know if you have any feedback or ideas for more filters.)

Nev

eBay auction search software tool | AuctionSieve

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:04 am 

Does it have a way to "show only those auctions listed since the last time I looked"?

I wish eBay had a way to "Mark Auctions as Read" =)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:15 am 

Yep! - "Ignore auctions already seen" filter.

In fact it's always had that capability but it was a bit hidden - now it's a filter and it's automatically added to every sieve.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:32 am 

Okay, sounds like I should give it a try.  Does it integrate reasonably well with sniping software, etc.?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:44 am 

Jesus, what more do you want!
No, you still have to set up snipes separately.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:27 pm 

Downloaded, so far looks pretty good.  One thing I'm unclear about -- the "catchwords" are done _after_ the download, right?  If so, is it possible to restrict the downloaded stuff to include a search term AND categories?

For example, I want to download any auction with:

lot OR bundle OR collection

But only from the various categories under Role Playing (which I've already entered as categories).  This would then give a single page of search results, which would be a lot smaller than the 100+ pages it's pulling down right now only to run the search locally.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:32 am 

You can do that.

Instead of setting up a category-based sieve, set up a search-based sieve, put in the search term you want, then click "More...", then turn on "Only search in categories" and Choose the categories you want.

Regarding sniping, I'm part of the eBay affiliate program and they don't allow sniping. The Watchlist with the notifications is about the best I can offer. :-( Which is a shame because that's the only way I make any money - when you put a bid in after viewing an auction via AuctionSieve.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:33 am 

nev wrote:You can do that.

Instead of setting up a category-based sieve, set up a search-based sieve, put in the search term you want, then click "More...", then turn on "Only search in categories" and Choose the categories you want.

Excellent, I'll try that out!

Regarding sniping, I'm part of the eBay affiliate program and they don't allow sniping.

Can you elaborate on this?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:42 am 

Hmmm...I did what you said, but it requires a search term.  What I usually do is try to search everything under "Role Playing" but _excluding_ stuff only.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:48 am 

nev wrote:
Which is a shame because that's the only way I make any money - when you put a bid in after viewing an auction via AuctionSieve.

Carl

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:19 am 

Syrsuro wrote:
nev wrote:
Which is a shame because that's the only way I make any money - when you put a bid in after viewing an auction via AuctionSieve.

Carl

Nev gets 5% or some such when you bid using the program, paid for by ebay not the punter, he has mentioned this in another post about Auction Watch...

Brette:)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:36 am 

If you view an auction *and* you put in a bid, I get 10 cents. It doesn't come out of the selling price or as an added fee to the seller - it's just a referral fee that eBay pays to me - eBay pay their affiliates because the affiliates are effectively providing free advertising for them or providing new services on top of eBay.

The short of it is, this is why I can 'afford' to give it away free, although I'm only making enough at the moment to buy about a sandwich a day. Actually make that a B2. :D

Nev

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:42 am 

Bacon man:
well yeah, if you don't want to specify a search term then you're stuck with 'download everything in a category'.

I thought you meant you wanted to do a search of "lot OR bundle OR collection".
Ie set the search term as "lot bundle collection", choose "Any of these words" and then specify the categories.

BTW You can learn more about the eBay affiliate program here : http://affiliate.ebay.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:45 am 

nev wrote:Bacon man:
well yeah, if you don't want to specify a search term then you're stuck with 'download everything in a category'.

Hmmm...there's no way to "download everything that isn't filtered"?  Does your program just submit an eBay search request?

I thought you meant you wanted to do a search of "lot OR bundle OR collection".

That too =) There are two basic searches I do, one is when I'm looking for lots, and the other is when I'm "browsing".  The latter is where I watch items, sorted by newly listed, and my search term is ONLY filters:

-D20 -miniatures -minis -figures -3.5 -3E

In other words, it's "find everything BUT these things" search, which the eBay search can do.  I don't know if it will actually save significant time (I think my filter removes about 10% of the entries I think) but I thought I'd ask about that.

Thanks!

Brian

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:54 am 

Yep, my program just submits a search request and scrapes out the information from the html page. If eBay provided a way to set up all that filtering then there wouldn't be a need for my program!

BTW You can specify any complex search term that you would be able to do on the eBay site, so putting a search term of
-D20 -miniatures -minis -figures -3.5 -3E
will work just fine.

Ie for coarse-grained Trash words that match lots of results, it's best to put them in the search itself. Then build up your trash words for the finer grained stuff. (Like "12forts", "12 forts", "20dungeons", etc)