Opinions humbly solicited from the pros on selling
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:55 pm 

Howdy all,

I've been lurking for about a month here as I've been ramping up to sell my mildly interesting 200+ piece collection of D&D stuff.
I don't have any rares to sell, but I'm sure there are a few things that people will enjoy. (The "H" series is probably my best set 2-4 in near mint condition, 1 in poor condition)

My goals in selling this stuff are:
To make the most money I can
To make the buyers happy with their purchases (i.e. describing the items accurately and completely)
To get rid of all of it (move coming up and I just haven't used it in 10 years, and I'm not doing the "collectors" thing really so I might as well make someone else happy  :)  )

My questions are these:
How can I best accomplish my goals above?
Should I sell in 1 or just a few lots?
Should I sell in many lots of 5-20 items?

My gut after reading this forum and looking at other auctions, is to go with the 10-20 piece lots.
For instance, breaking up my dragon magazines into 5 or so lots of 20 magazines. (I have about 100 of them from 76-ish through 176-ish)
A lot or two of miscellaneous modules.
A lot or two of Forgotten Realms stuff ( I have much of that)
Then some other miscelaneous lots including an OCE set and an almost complete 10th anniv. set.

I sold all my spelljammer stuff a couple months back to Olev Reidiger as one lot, as I had all but 2 pieces that TSR made all in very good or better condition. I also sold the 6 paperback fiction books at that time and was surprised (pleasantly) to get $15 for them.
There's another question for you all... are the paperback fiction books at all worth selling?

Anyways, I'll stop rambling and eagerly await the opinions of those who are willing to share their $.02.

Thanks for your time,
Jase

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:50 am 

jase_philip wrote:I also sold the 6 paperback fiction books at that time and was surprised (pleasantly) to get $15 for them.
There's another question for you all... are the paperback fiction books at all worth selling?

Hmmm, those six were the Spelljammer cycle? The last book of the cycle should have gone between $10 and $15 alone, as it is uncommon (it's one of the worst TSR novels of all times, but that's something different). A German buyer might split them up and resell them on the German market with $15 to $20 profit after paying for shipping.

I'd sell the paperbacks, one book = one auction. Same with the rest of the stuff, except Dragon Magazine (those I would sell in bundles).

However, I am not a selling pro, maybe one of our active resellers can give you some more advice.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:19 pm 

Hi, and welcome!  Please consider using the self-introduction thread to tell us about yourself.

There are three approaches to selling a collection -- [1] all in one auction, [2] split into cohesive lots, or [3] individually itemized.  [1] is the most painless and gives the least amount of profit.  For [3], those qualities are reversed.  [2] is the compromise.

Magazines should always be sold in lots, unless you have Dragon 1-20, Dungeon 1-6, or rare UK mags or US fanzines.

Modules can be sold in lots, especially if they're rarity 1 or 2.  But for the H modules, for example, I strongly recommend 1-item auctions.

The OCE can be sold alone.

Do I understand you correctly that you have a 10th Anniversary Slipcase set?  That's very valuable, but you need the case to justify the modules.  It's worth its own auction if you have the case.

If you have a full list handy, I could point out what other items would be worth listing individually.

Hope that helps!

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:02 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:There are three approaches to selling a collection -- [1] all in one auction, [2] split into cohesive lots, or [3] individually itemized.  [1] is the most painless and gives the least amount of profit.  For [3], those qualities are reversed.  [2] is the compromise.

I want to make the most possible while also getting rid of it all. I worry about going route 3 above that I'll end up with the poor condition stuff and had to make 50 trips to the postal place. Although I'm tempted to give it a shot going route 3 first, then route 1 with the leftovers.
darkseraphim wrote:Magazines should always be sold in lots, unless you have Dragon 1-20, Dungeon 1-6, or rare UK mags or US fanzines.

Nothing of the sort, so I think I'll go with my first instinct and break them up into lots of 10 - 20 magazines.
darkseraphim wrote:Modules can be sold in lots, especially if they're rarity 1 or 2.  But for the H modules, for example, I strongly recommend 1-item auctions.

The OCE can be sold alone.

The modules and accessories (such as FR1 - 15) I'll probably lot in small groups.
The H1 I have is crap (just the really crumpled box, and the booklet, no fold outs) the other three are in very good to near mint condition. I was thinking of including the H1 with H2 so someone has a little "bonus" along with the item they're actually bidding on.
Thanks for the tip on the OCE, I think I'll go with that as well.
darkseraphim wrote:Do I understand you correctly that you have a 10th Anniversary Slipcase set?  That's very valuable, but you need the case to justify the modules.  It's worth its own auction if you have the case.

I have the slipcase (brown with gold lettering) and I think I have all the contents separated out less the pens for the solo adventure. But I'm still going through it all and need to double check it against the list(s) on this site before I'll make up stories about it being "complete".
darkseraphim wrote:If you have a full list handy, I could point out what other items would be worth listing individually.

Hope that helps!

I'm almost done with the list, as I've been going through the boxes a little at a time. As soon as it's complete I'll post a link to it and solicit more feedback.

Your response and Rolf's have both helped. Thank you!  :)

Any other ideas out there?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:39 pm 

jase_philip wrote:The H1 I have is crap (just the really crumpled box, and the booklet, no fold outs) the other three are in very good to near mint condition. I was thinking of including the H1 with H2 so someone has a little "bonus" along with the item they're actually bidding on.

Even if it was just a crumpled box, the cougar would bid others up to get it. Almost tempted to say set a reserve...
(You should do well with the other H modules).

Re. the Dragons. Unless you can get any sort of money because of the popular issues (e.g. #148 which require highlighting), you're probably going to be very disappointed by the total you raise (and eBay might end up with most of that).
If you want to sell these, best find a friend who's willing to part with $70-80, say. (Saves them shipping costs, too).

If it's a decent OCE set, make sure you emphasise the grading, get nice pics and give a background spiel about the history. Maybe even link to the Acaeum, were it not for the "estimated value" having dipped.

Good luck with the sale :)

p.s. not a pro-seller, but work on the basis of what I'd like to see to tempt me. Possibly even a few sensible BINs to combine...