Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 2 of 11112, 3 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:58 pm 

Chucho68 wrote:
I am quite proud of my 207-long 100% pos feedback. It's been hard work over four years. How is it possible to be that shady with almost my same feedback at 100%? I'll never understand that.

Hector.

You can have as many negative feedbacks as you like in previous years, because your feedback is only taken over a 12 month period. You can also have as many neutral feedbacks and removed negatives as you like because they are also not counted. Basicly, you have to be deliberately trying to steel from people to get hurt by the system. Being an a55hole or a liar isn't an offence under eBay's system so long as they get their fees.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:11 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:You can have as many negative feedbacks as you like in previous years, because your feedback is only taken over a 12 month period. You can also have as many neutral feedbacks and removed negatives as you like because they are also not counted. Basicly, you have to be deliberately trying to steel from people to get hurt by the system. Being an a55hole or a liar isn't an offence under eBay's system so long as they get their fees.

Bad DSR ratings are what kill you nowadays, not the feedback itself.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:16 pm 

Bad DSR ratings are only really damaging to volume sellers. If you only sell a couple of dozen items a month, the DSR has no impact on you, and provided you put the correct words in the title of the item, buyers will find your items anyways. It only really hurts if your selling lots of items and competing with other sellers selling the same things you are at similar price points.

Or at least that's my perception of it. Certainly both Cougie and T&T do great business, so something they are doing is right, and the guys in the US seem to have a pretty bad perception of Cougie, and T&T are notorious for shafting international buyers and faking their delivery confirmation to win PayPal disputes. Both have a bad reputation, and both have extensive bad press both here and elsewhere on the web, and yet they both do great business, so something about their business ethic works.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:22 pm 

1st print DMG for cheap BIN, cover has obvious wear. but if you're looking for the early print, $10 is hard to beat

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:17 pm 

Hey everyone,

Seller has:

TSR Rules Don't Give Up the Ship, 2nd Edition

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Chainmail -- Rules for Medieval Miniatures, 2nd Ed.

Yes I know the Chainmail 2nd Edn is Guidon Games and not TSR, but I figure there would be more interest on this page than the non-TSR page. :)

Best regards,

Ronald

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:26 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Bad DSR ratings are what kill you nowadays, not the feedback itself.

Mike B.

Yeah, but that only really affects you if you are a business seller. For the casual seller (like the majority of eBay members), that doesn't really make a huge difference. Truth be told, I never look at the DSRs for sellers.

I still cannot classify a seller as shady for a couple of negatives (in this case, from the same guy, who could be nuts) and 12 months of positives. If that's the case, then the system doesn't work at all!

Maybe that's the point... :roll:

Hector.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:16 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Bad DSR ratings are only really damaging to volume sellers. If you only sell a couple of dozen items a month, the DSR has no impact on you, and provided you put the correct words in the title of the item, buyers will find your items anyways. It only really hurts if your selling lots of items and competing with other sellers selling the same things you are at similar price points.

Or at least that's my perception of it. Certainly both Cougie and T&T do great business, so something they are doing is right, and the guys in the US seem to have a pretty bad perception of Cougie, and T&T are notorious for shafting international buyers and faking their delivery confirmation to win PayPal disputes. Both have a bad reputation, and both have extensive bad press both here and elsewhere on the web, and yet they both do great business, so something about their business ethic works.

Let me correct you on one thing Ian, volume sellers are affected less by bad DSRs because it is connected to a percentage of your sales. For example, a friend of my wife's just got put on suspension because she received her 10th low DSR in a year, she only has under 500 sales in a year, which is under their threshold of 2 percent.  I can bet you anything Troll and Toad has that many bad DSR ratings a week and it does nothing to impact their sales.  So actually, it's the smaller seller that is inordinately affected by a low DSR score rather than a high volume seller.  This btw is part of Ebay's plan to eventually eliminate most smaller mom and pop sellers from their site by making it nearly impossible to function to recover from even one or two legitimately bad sales (or bad buyers that leave low DSRs for spite).  All Troll & Toad and Coug are doing "right" is listing hundreds and hundreds of sales, which causes negative feedback and low DSRs to have little effect.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:11 am 

Badmike wrote:
Let me correct you on one thing Ian, volume sellers are affected less by bad DSRs because it is connected to a percentage of your sales. For example, a friend of my wife's just got put on suspension because she received her 10th low DSR in a year, she only has under 500 sales in a year, which is under their threshold of 2 percent.  I can bet you anything Troll and Toad has that many bad DSR ratings a week and it does nothing to impact their sales.  So actually, it's the smaller seller that is inordinately affected by a low DSR score rather than a high volume seller.  This btw is part of Ebay's plan to eventually eliminate most smaller mom and pop sellers from their site by making it nearly impossible to function to recover from even one or two legitimately bad sales (or bad buyers that leave low DSRs for spite).  All Troll & Toad and Coug are doing "right" is listing hundreds and hundreds of sales, which causes negative feedback and low DSRs to have little effect.

Mike B.

This is actually very astute, Mike. If you sell a couple hundred items a year and you get a few low scores, you are in big trouble quick. This really would not be a big deal but I have noticed that seller expectations are getting crazy. Everything has to ship for free and it better be there the next day. I now sell very little because of time and the eBay hassle. When I do, it goes priority mail with tracking (which still does not seem to be any protection). All it takes is one asshole who buys a few items to be a jerk and you are suspended. It has to be bay's plan to dump the little guy.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:05 pm 

Basic Set (Mentzer) in German from US seller

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Also has MSOLO1 Blizzard Pass (BS1)

** expired/removed eBay auction **

looks like the "first print?" listed on our site
MSOLO1 Foreign

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:01 pm 

bbarsh wrote:
This is actually very astute, Mike. If you sell a couple hundred items a year and you get a few low scores, you are in big trouble quick. This really would not be a big deal but I have noticed that seller expectations are getting crazy. Everything has to ship for free and it better be there the next day. I now sell very little because of time and the eBay hassle. When I do, it goes priority mail with tracking (which still does not seem to be any protection). All it takes is one asshole who buys a few items to be a jerk and you are suspended. It has to be bay's plan to dump the little guy.

BTW this isn't conspiracy theory, Donawhore has stated on more than one occasion he wants to move away from the "garage sale" model and to a more sophisticated "Amazon" model that just happens to also include auctions.  To alleviate bad pub they have made this move in small stages over the last couple of years, all of which are geared to reward large volume sellers and punish low volume sellers.  The latest this summer will be to charge sellers FVF for shipping prices (thus rewarding larger sellers who can afford to use free shipping because it doesn't impact their bottom line as much), and to raise the amount of sales you must make from $3000 every three months to $12,000 every three months to receive a monthly 5% discount (thus, no discounts for many steady sellers starting in July).  They are also gradually phasing out auctions and moving to a "Set Price" model to be more like Amazon....can't really fault them much on that one, as their auction sales revenue has been flat for years.

I don't think most buyers realize that very soon they will go from, say, a dozen people regularly selling D&D items on Ebay to a couple (Troll and Toad will be one), and these couple will be able to charge pretty much what they want.  You'll have a guy every once in awhile selling a big D&D lot but there will be no guarantee of condition, shipping quality, or accuracy.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:04 pm 

Either way, they have an absolute monopoly, and they can do as they wish. There is no viable alternative, and no viable alternative has emerged in the past decade. That pretty much says it all.

Yes, there will be classified and little fan sites, but there is no secure auction site or even a secure sales channel that doesn't make it easy for buyers to steal from sellers. After all, Amazon is the biggest free book shop on the planet. You want a copy of something and you have no mmrals, you can order it from Amazon and claim a refund. Amazon will refund you, no questions asked, and the seller is told to go f"ck themselves.

Atleast with eBay, you get a fairly honest service, you can judge fairly accurately how honest or dishonest the seller is, and both the seller and the buyer have a fair chance during a dispute. eBay is a good sales channel because the buyers and sellers trust eachother. No other sales channel has managed to establish both the foot traffic and the trust and place them together in one place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:22 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Either way, they have an absolute monopoly, and they can do as they wish. There is no viable alternative, and no viable alternative has emerged in the past decade. That pretty much says it all.

Yes, there will be classified and little fan sites, but there is no secure auction site or even a secure sales channel that doesn't make it easy for buyers to steal from sellers. After all, Amazon is the biggest free book shop on the planet. You want a copy of something and you have no mmrals, you can order it from Amazon and claim a refund. Amazon will refund you, no questions asked, and the seller is told to go f"ck themselves.

Atleast with eBay, you get a fairly honest service, you can judge fairly accurately how honest or dishonest the seller is, and both the seller and the buyer have a fair chance during a dispute. eBay is a good sales channel because the buyers and sellers trust eachother. No other sales channel has managed to establish both the foot traffic and the trust and place them together in one place.

As time goes on, those selling collecting RPG items should start using RPG Marketplace more.  It's basically like it was in the old days before Ebay, with buyer and seller contacting each other and striking a deal.  It's probably as effective for directed sales as Ebay is, since the uber-collector community buys probably 75% of the rares anyway. But understand by "directed sales" it means the seller is doing all the work of telling people his wares on RPG Marketplace. Since Ebay handles all that we have been trained to sit back and let someone else do all the work.  I do think Ebay will get so ridiculous at some point that RPG Marketplace should see more and more business, particularly with oddball or unique items. I sold 20 Jim Holloway print sets in a week on RPG Marketplace, while the same print has sat on Ebay for the last year with only 2-3 buy outs.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:34 pm 

For the majority of people selling regular common and uncommon collectables, the sub $50 stuff, RPGMarketPlace doesn't reach the target buyer and hasn't got the traffic to warrant the work, especially when the amount of effort you need to put in is maybe double that of eBay for the same result (less fees).

I can see that if you wnat to sell something rare it may be a better oftion than hawking it around the classifieds, but if you're selling a stack of nice minty collectables, most of which are only gonna fill little holes in people's collections, you're not gonna succeed on RPGMP. eBay is the only option to reach your customers and secure sales quickly and regularly.

How many people here regularly log on to RPGMP and browse to see what's new?
By comparison, how many people don't log on to eBay every second or third day and browse to see what's new?

That answers the question for me as far as reaching my buyers is concerned.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:25 am 

A full run of Dragaonlance for those who collect them.

NOTE: Some are not complete with copies instead of original parts.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:11 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:How many people here regularly log on to RPGMP and browse to see what's new?

Never use it.  Search doesn't work right.  Generally, prices are such that I may as well buy from NKG, T&T, etc.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:06 am 

TheHistorian wrote:Never use it.  Search doesn't work right.  Generally, prices are such that I may as well buy from NKG, T&T, etc.

That stuff on RPGMP will normally sell itself for collectors looking for whatever item is listed there and yes, often the listed price for some items is higher at RPGMP than for the same items on e-Bay or at NKG....

BUT I have yet to purchase a single item from RPGMP that was NOT succesfully negotiated down to an overall lower price from the prices listed.
Most times that negotiation resulted in me buying more items from the seller than I had at first intended.
T&T and NKG wont negotiate... or at least I ever have been able to get them to.
And except for BadMike (Whom I live very close to) I dont recall ever being able to negotiate succesfully on e-Bay at all (Other than the "Make an Offer" listings).

And I have never had any trouble finding stuff on RPGMP either. 8)
Have no idea what you meant by the search not working for you. :?

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:34 pm 

Saw a piece of Diterlizzi D&D art on Ebay today:

Not mine & I don't think there is any way he or she will get their asking price of 800 bucks (0 bids, 3 hours to go).    

That said, if they do, I'll be the first to start unloading my Diterlizzi pieces  ;-)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:14 pm 

I find it interesting that so many sellers will post pictures (on e-Bay) so that the viewer must grab the computer screen, pick it up,  then set it on its side to properly view what they are selling...
ANY camera software (even the windows regular photo viewing software) will allow you to rotate your photo in 90 degree increments.

One would think that an $800 piece of artwork should be viewed top side up...
Unless of course I am WAY off base and that one IS top side up...  :?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 2 of 11112, 3 ... 109110111