Palace of the Vampire Queen
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:15 pm 

Tadashi Ehara's (Different Worlds Publications) POTVQ arrived today.

1. Black folder version

2. 25 8.5" x 11" loose-leaf? printed one side, should only be 24 (2 level 5 player's maps), definitely all printed on a press 2-tone gray/black on maps only achievable by making a plate, including the Tri-folded level 5 DM's map (looks like the Ink well in the press was low).

3. Intro page Yellow printed on a press "noted from the black tone in artwork.

4. Copyright page: white loose (looks like some old dried rubber cement across top back of sheet, and definitly not enough to attach itself to the inside of the folder for long with maps sliding in and out. States: 1st printing June 76

Here's some thoughts, I worked in a print shop:

The black cardboard folder with (blood?) red lettering and artwork, is not just red, but red foil stamp. This is an expensive prosess. First you would have to have a die made $$$, then foil comes on a roll and is not cheap, the size you would need here would be at least 10" wide (top of the title to the bottom of the tower), and the waste would be silly after the punching of the red foil on each folder all the black area would be unuseable. And each folder would have to be hand loaded onto the die cuter. You can't stack folders into the loader like loose paper. Print runs for something like this are 100, 200, 500 etc..

This black folder version seems to be a grander idea than the zip-lock version. So mabey they ran out of folders and decided the folder wasen't cost effective (notice: The Dwarven Glory 1st print no folder) or they weren't ready and sent out the zip-lock version first. Yet the double sided printing again seems cost cuting and changing the copyright page to yellow to give to module a front/back feel.

Your thoughts,

Mike

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:54 pm 

I already gave my thoughts and extensive research. As far as I'm concerned, it is a 1st print. Bagged versions are 2nd.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:33 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:I already gave my thoughts and extensive research. As far as I'm concerned, it is a 1st print. Bagged versions are 2nd.

I was bidding on it as a first.
Agreed on the folder - which was a bit of a fiasco in an earlier auction this year - and only Tadashi's implication of it being incomplete (later copy of that map) kept me from going higher.

Could read that single-sided copying - which still appears to be a bonus in scarcity terms - in various ways, some of which make less sense (cost cutting, allowing space for notes, etc.) if there was only one print run.
Laziness would be a better excuse, if there was no auto-duplexing(?). Or perhaps the single-sided version is a bit tight in the folder?
(just my 02 cents, since I don't have a copy to consider, in front of me... ;))

=

(p.s. You're going to have to widen your search criteria further, IMHO; a few good museum exhibit pieces just went by and only Burnie, Mike <improvstone> and myself bid on them...).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:48 am 

harami2000 wrote:(p.s. You're going to have to widen your search criteria further, IMHO; a few good museum exhibit pieces just went by and only Burnie, Mike <improvstone> and myself bid on them...).

And a nice win improv.  One I will now be adding to my list of searches.

Time to try out AuctionSieve methinks.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:18 am 

You mean the Alarums? I was shocked they went so high. I have 1-76 minus 3 issues already, and now I'm strating to consider selling them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:29 am 

Yeh, nice win. But far more I would be prepared to pay without a trip to the pub first (which is most nights  :wink: )

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:06 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:You mean the Alarums? I was shocked they went so high. I have 1-76 minus 3 issues already, and now I'm strating to consider selling them.

Frank, stop teasing us.  Either sell or don't sell but for heavens sake stop droping hints ....

John, thanks...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:13 am 

johnhuck wrote:Yeh, nice win. But far more I would be prepared to pay without a trip to the pub first (which is most nights  :wink: )

That's why I can't outbid you guys.  You have money left after going to the pub!  :wink:

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:20 am 

deimos3428 wrote:That's why I can't outbid you guys.  You have money left after going to the pub!  :wink:

I can't afford to go to the pub anymore .. :-)  

I think Harami owes me a few beers for the the number of times he has pushed up my bids ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:18 am 

Sounds like I missed some A&E auctions---anyone care to provide a pointer (to the A&E and other interesting tidbits that recently went below everyone's radar)?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:55 am 

I picked them up this spring, when I got the Dragon run. I got Wild Hunt 7-something as well. I haven't had time, nor will I ever, to actually read them. Are they any good?
Judging by the $40's price for the few mid-30's issues that just sold, my run must be worth thousands!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:03 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I picked them up this spring, when I got the Dragon run. I got Wild Hunt 7-something as well. I haven't had time, nor will I ever, to actually read them. Are they any good?
Judging by the $40's price for the few mid-30's issues that just sold, my run must be worth thousands!

I had a few Alarums a while back but sold them to Brette for a small sum.  I consider myself a completist but I couldn't hang onto the Alarums after looking through them and just being bored tears.  The UK fanzines such as the Beholder and Dragonlords were just so much better.  Alarums has no rhyme and reason to it.  It's basically a compilation of one or two or three page musings of D&D players that were collected and stapled together into a 'zine.  It would be like taking a bunch of newsgroup or bulletin board posts, and putting them all together to make a booklet.  The quality of the printings are often poor and uneven because each contributor used different printing styles/techniques when submitting their "post."  There's probably some interesting gaming nuggets in there somewhere but to wade through the mess just didn't seem worth the effort.  I'd recommend picking up the UK fanzines for a nice uniform layout, interesting content with some historical significance (such as Dragonlords starting the ecology series with the piercer) and witty, wry English humor/humour.  
My two coppers...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:48 pm 

Then I'll sell mine. I know they're stupidly rare, but I have no real use for them. To eBay they go!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:15 pm 

dathon wrote:There's probably some interesting gaming nuggets in there somewhere but to wade through the mess just didn't seem worth the effort.  I'd recommend picking up the UK fanzines for a nice uniform layout, interesting content with some historical significance (such as Dragonlords starting the ecology series with the piercer) and witty, wry English humor/humour.

My understanding from chats with Lee Gold, EGG, and others is that EGG and various other early TSR folks did in fact participate in A&E discussions at times.  

Frank (or anyone else), I'd love to get any copies of pieces that the early TSR folks wrote (I'd add the info/details to my site's details about early D&D's development/etc. as appropriate).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:35 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote: Then I'll sell mine. I know they're stupidly rare, but I have no real use for them. To eBay they go!

Since you have so many issues, you could make an index of the contents so the rest of us could decide if there's any issues worth getting without having to pay re-seller prices to find out.

If you have a little free time, that is... :)

Could you tell me offhand if any of the issues have short stories by J. Eric Holmes? The author blurb from his book Maze of Peril indicates he had stories published in Dragon and in Alarums and Excursions.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:43 pm 

I'll try to index contents (time permitting), but when I sell them, they have to go as a lot. It would be a crying shame to break up a near-complete run.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:37 pm 

I agree with the above - I remember hearing about A&E and thinking it sounded really cool... I got my hands on a copy eventually (#89 I think it is) and eagerly waited for its arrival.. but when I sat down to actually read it, it was rather disappointing. As Dathon says, it feels cobbled together and the articles weren't all that interesting.

I did however bid on the recent auction for 5 30's issues - I thought maybe the early issues were OK (I'm erternally optimistic). But I only bid $25 for the five, and had the dubious pleasure of seeing the 'Your bid amount is less than the current price' message come up after I tried to enter my snipe. I don't mind being outbid, or not reaching a proxy, but that insufficient message really makes you feel like a loser.

Regards

Mike

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:40 pm 

mdr003 wrote:I did however bid on the recent auction for 5 30's issues - I thought maybe the early issues were OK (I'm erternally optimistic). But I only bid $25 for the five, and had the dubious pleasure of seeing the 'Your bid amount is less than the current price' message come up after I tried to enter my snipe. I don't mind being outbid, or not reaching a proxy, but that insufficient message really makes you feel like a loser.

I can relate to that last bit.  All eBay needs now is the "[X][X][X]" sound from Family Feud (maybe with some flash animation?) and my misery will be complete.  :lol:

YIM  
Next