Various Conspectus's
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:34 pm 

Does anyone know if the conspectus's came with one particular product or several different ones?. Ifanyone knows the wich product (s)?

my Forgotten Realms conspectus came with The North boxed set & my Planescape one came with Hellbound. However I have a Birthright conspectus but have never owned a single Birthright product.

And what about  Dark Sun & Dragonlance conspectus's?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:20 pm 

jagd wrote:my Forgotten Realms conspectus came with The North boxed set & my Planescape one came with Hellbound.

Do you mean they were inside shrink-wrapped boxes?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:39 pm 

I have a stack I will probably be selling because (surprisingly - to me) people actually seem to want to buy them.  

But I know at least a couple came inside Dragon Magazines - because I have a few with the Conspectuses (conspectera?  conspecti?) still inserted inside them.  

My guess is that all or most of the ones I have probably came inside Dragon Magazines and if anyone has any data on which issues they came in, I would rather match them back up with the appropriate issues and sell them that way.  whether any came inside anything else, I don't know.  

Carl

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:52 pm 

"Do you mean they were inside shrink-wrapped boxes?"

Well no the boxes were not shrink-wrapped when I got them. They were however mint.You know - when you open a box set you can tell whether or not it has been read.
The conspectus's were at the bottom of each boxed set just above the Dragon magazine subscription. I guess I just assumed they came with the boxed set. Theorectically I guess its possible someone added them in.

So the conspectus's only came with Dragon?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:37 pm 

I'm not saying that.  Only that the ones I have mostly came with Dragons.  I know that because I have conspecti that don't correspond to any boxed games I own.

My suspicion is that they put them in almost everything.  Randomly.  If a product was released in a month they were making Conspectuses, it may have gotten one.  I don't know.

That is - some boxes, but not all boxes, may have gotten a Conspectus.   As it happens - of the five or six boxed sets I bought back in the day, some are 'intact'.  They still contain everything that came with it and were never used.  And they do not contain a Conspectus.   Others were unpacked and no longer include advertising materials.  They may have included a Conspectus.

I think this falls in the category of obscure research.  Did TSR product X include a Conspectus or not.  Are their different 'printings', some of which included it or not?  Etc.  

I'm just sceptical of whether there is going to be sufficient interest to track down the data.

For my part:

My copies of The Dark Sun boxed set (TSR 2400) and Al Qadim A dozen and One Adventures (TSR 9432) do not appear to contain a Conspectus, although they are fully complete in all other ways (containing catalogues, subscription flyers, response cards, etc).   My copy of Al Qadim Golden Voyages (TSR 9366 - already sold) - ditto.  My copies of Cities of Mystery (TSR 9262) and Road to Urik (TSR 2406) do not contain a Conspectus, but all other advertising materials have been removed so I don't know if they ever did contain one.  

The Dragon #232 - Dragonlance Conspectus
The Dragon #226 - Birthright Conspectus

Which other issues had Conspecti, I don't yet know.  If anyone can point to specific issues and match them to the appropriate Conspectus I would appreciate it.

But I don't know that no boxed products had them.  I just don't think that any of my Conspecti came from boxed games (although I cannot prove that).

edit:  
RPG United says (of the FR Conspectus):
"This conspectus was included in various TSR products throughout 1996 to promote the campaign."

So I again conclude it depends on the year of publication of the Boxed game and the relevant Conspectus.  (And thus my own boxed games may simply pre-date the release of the Conspecti).

FWIW:  RPG United gives 1995 as the publication date for the Dark Sun and Birthright Conspecti and 1996 as the publication date for the Forgotten Realms, Planescape and Dragonlance conspecti.

Carl

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:45 pm 

Interesting.  I have a specific recollection of Conspecti being free handouts at the game store counter - admittedly, I wasn't collecting much then (1995-1996) and I only saw them in a single shop.

They are wild cards.  I have had them sell for $.01, and I think my record (starting auction at $.01) was $32.06 for a Planescape.  Average $2-12.

Planescape has the most demand, followed by Forgotten Realms.  The others are pretty wall hangers, or chaff.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:48 pm 

(Dig, dig)

Here's my recent ones:

AD&D Planescape Conspectus
$20.50

AD&D Forgotten Realms Conspectus
$24.01

AD&D Birthright Conspectus
$2.26

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:18 pm 

Ok...so what should I do with mine?  Should I sell them as separate items, figure out which Dragon they came in and sell them together with that Issue or what?  (I have two still inserted in the Dragon but the rest I have not yet connected to a specific issue).

Would the presence of a Conspectus + Dragon sell better/ have more value to a collector than the Dragon or Conspectus individually?  Or would people just see one or the other as junk they don't want?

For that matter, would people pay extra for a full set of all five together?

(I have the Dragonlance and Birthright conspecti in Dragons mentioned above and Two FR, two DS and one Planescape loose.  Perhaps more - all my stuff isn't organized enough yet to be sure).

Carl

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:46 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:Intersting.  I have a specific recollection of Conspecti being free handouts at the game store counter - admittedly, I wasn't collecting much then (1995-1996) and I ony saw them in a single shop.

I also picked up a couple at chain bookstores.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:18 pm 

my Forgotten Realms conspectus came with The North boxed set & my Planescape one came with Hellbound. However I have a Birthright conspectus but have never owned a single Birthright product.

i also found my Planescape Conspectus inside the Hellbound boxset.  i had a Forgotten Realms Conspectus insude the Rod of Seven Parts boxset.

-dave

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:25 am 

During the time when they were being published the conspecti came inside of new boxed sets. I am a Forgotten Realms collector so I have several FR ones that came inside various FR boxed sets, I also have Dragonlance,  Dark Sun, Planescape, and Birthright ones that were included in FR boxed sets. Unfortunately I took all of the conspecti out of the boxed sets when I opened them and stored them seperately so I can't tell you which ones came with which boxed sets, or if it was random.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of erin

WWW ICQ YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:21 am 

Syrsuro wrote:Ok...so what should I do with mine?  Should I sell them as separate items, figure out which Dragon they came in and sell them together with that Issue or what?  (I have two still inserted in the Dragon but the rest I have not yet connected to a specific issue).

Would the presence of a Conspectus + Dragon sell better/ have more value to a collector than the Dragon or Conspectus individually?  Or would people just see one or the other as junk they don't want?

For that matter, would people pay extra for a full set of all five together?

(I have the Dragonlance and Birthright conspecti in Dragons mentioned above and Two FR, two DS and one Planescape loose.  Perhaps more - all my stuff isn't organized enough yet to be sure).

Carl

I`d probably sell them separately. I believe it`s mostly setting fans and not really collector`s that buy them.  also as they were distributed in different froms including the respecctive Dragons does not make much sense IMO.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:13 pm 

Makes sense to me.

My preference is to figure out where I got them/ what they came in and include them with that, just for completeness sake.  But those I can't place I will just (try to) sell separately.

Carl