Quest for the Fazzlewood
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:32 pm 

OK, here's something that hasn't been brought up yet.
Quest for the Fazzlewood is considered roughly as rare as Tsojconth, Tamoachan and Inverness. However, I have only seen 2 in my life. I am not counting the 2nd printing, although I've never seen one and I've only heard of the one sold at Gencon last year (the $525 one listed as a 1st print in Rares was a 2nd print according to Gencon). Considering the number of times it becomes available as opposed to the above three, and even ST1, I'm beginning to think it is rarer than all of them. Does anyone else out there besides Stormie (who has my first copy) have one, either 1st or 2nd print?
It's a semi-obsession with me ever since I won one in a lot auction 3 years ago for $41 and the seller never shipped it. I honestly wouldn't even CONSIDER trading mine, not even for a mint ST1, which seems to pop up with some regularity considering the rumors that the vast majority of them became birdcage liners.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:23 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:OK, here's something that hasn't been brought up yet.
Quest for the Fazzlewood is considered roughly as rare as Tsojconth, Tamoachan and Inverness. However, I have only seen 2 in my life. I am not counting the 2nd printing, although I've never seen one and I've only heard of the one sold at Gencon last year (the $525 one listed as a 1st print in Rares was a 2nd print according to Gencon). Considering the number of times it becomes available as opposed to the above three, and even ST1, I'm beginning to think it is rarer than all of them. Does anyone else out there besides Stormie (who has my first copy) have one, either 1st or 2nd print?

Judging by the lack of response, Frank, I think you've made your point! :D

(*attempts to smoke out any other copies*)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:57 am 

Fazzlewood is gonna be extremely hard to come by. I am will to bet we will only one or two come available in our lifetimes. It was only distributed here in Michigan at a time when conventions weren't drawing the larger crowds.

The people who have one, probably know what they have and are not gonna let it go. I think there are only a few remaining anyway.

ST1 on the other hand is relatively modern and sold at a time when more people played the game. I think more people held onto them - because they more resembled an actual product versus zerox copies. We will see more ST1s than Fazzlewoods, many more.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:22 am 

It seems I was right!
Phew. At least I obsess over a TRUE rarity. Now if I could only get the cover of B2 out of my mind........

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:43 pm 

I would agree on the rarity.  Based on the information compiled on the Acaeum only a handful have been seen since they started tracking them.  I've only seen a couple copies available for sale.  I would be curious to see how many of the Acaeum members have a copy.  Perhaps a poll?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:53 pm 

Sure, create a poll!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:22 pm 

Based on personal experience, I find it hard to believe that Fazzlewood is that rare.  I bought two very cheaply on frp.marketplace back in the 90's and ended up selling one for a small sum soon afterward (to Matthias, I believe).  The text and content is verbatim from O1.  They're not numbered, and it would be stupid easy for anyone to photocopy one and then sell it off.  That's the problem with Tamoachan, Inverness and especially Tsojcanth (no numeration), there's no way to tell the fakes if provenance cannot be established.  Only really bad fakes like the one discovered here a year ago are caught.  Even the prepubs of the R series are a bit harder to fake with the envelope and Mentzer autograph.  

And that's another reason why ST1 goes for such high prices; it's just much harder to make a good fascimile of the folder and color map with today's equipment.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:01 pm 

dathon wrote:Based on personal experience, I find it hard to believe that Fazzlewood is that rare.  I bought two very cheaply on frp.marketplace back in the 90's and ended up selling one for a small sum soon afterward (to Matthias, I believe).  The text and content is verbatim from O1.  They're not numbered, and it would be stupid easy for anyone to photocopy one and then sell it off.  That's the problem with Tamoachan, Inverness and especially Tsojcanth (no numeration), there's no way to tell the fakes if provenance cannot be established.  Only really bad fakes like the one discovered here a year ago are caught.  Even the prepubs of the R series are a bit harder to fake with the envelope and Mentzer autograph.  

And that's another reason why ST1 goes for such high prices; it's just much harder to make a good fascimile of the folder and color map with today's equipment.

I've started a poll to see how many are out there...

I think one would have a difficult time photocopying the early modules perfectly.  Also, matching the covers would be a bit of a challenge but could be done, I suppose.  Now, any of the plain-paper productions such as the Adventurer's Guild modules would be easier to duplicate and get away with it.

I would agree that the best way to avoid getting screwed is to establish provenance for the item and keep that information with it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:49 pm 

I know I sound like a broken record about this thing, but forging these things could be done. Especially the un-numbered tournament modules. I just filtered through my module collection to see if I needed to upgrade anything and I checked out my holy trinity. Inverness would be the hardest to forge due to the cover...I a will not go into detail, but those who have one know that the paper used for that cover is unique. The others would not be hard to duplicate.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/