Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:21 am 

You're welcome. It is 1:47. Though the last half or so is Carl running the other two DMs through an exploration of the Zenopus dungeon. They recorded that separately from the rest of the chat.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:17 pm 

A new blog post describing a newly found letter by a 16-year-old Holmes to a pulp in 1946, with his many suggestions for classic stories they should reprint:

Holmes' 1946 Letter to a Pulp

Many thanks to Malchor77 (member here) for finding this artifact!

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:54 pm 

The blog has been fairly quiet the last six months or so because I've been working on a conversion of the Zenopus Dungeon to 5E D&D. It's finally out on DMs Guild!

The Ruined Tower of Zenopus: A Conversion (DMs Guild Link).

Read more about it here:
ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: The Ruined Tower of Zenopus 5E on DMs Guild

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:40 pm 

Two reviews of the Ruined Tower of Zenopus, which has hit Silver seller status on DMs Guild and is climbing towards Electrum!

A review on the oldschoolfrp Tumblr:

I bought this and gave it a first read-through.  It is an excellent conversion of one of my favorite classic low level adventures, updated for 5e.  There are some new monster stat blocks and minor magic items, a little town map on a peninsula (which makes it easier to locate the town on almost any coastline), options for expanding some areas, notes on factions, rumors, and ways to tie Portown to Saltmarsh, plus even 4 pre-gen PCs. Check it out.

A review by Erik Jensen on Twitter:

Finally had the time to read The Ruined Tower of Zenopus: link @zenopusarchives has done an AMAZING job with this 5e update of the Holmes sample dungeon,

It's a solid dungeon using the classic map, but it's more than that.  It's a great campaign starter for 5e with old-school sensibilities and trappings.  It has new 5e monsters and items.  Zach gives us 1st-level pregens.

Tips for situating the thing as part of 'Ghosts of Saltmarsh' to turn the beginning of that campaign into a sandbox.  You want old-school?  A nice rumor table.  A delineation of the factions in the dungeon.  A list of classic AppN stories that probably inspired Holmes' dungeon.

'The Ruined Tower of Zenopus' is, stunningly, only $1.99.  If you're a 5e DM, pick it up and put it in your go bag.  If you're an old-school DM, pick it up and see what Zach did with this baby, you'll appreciate it.  Strongly recommended, looking forward to using it myself.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:54 am 

This past Sunday was the 90th anniversary of J. Eric Holmes' birthday!

A few days ago I took stock of my Holmes-related activities over the past year, and a few that are upcoming:

Holmes Day 2020

And today I've written a post about the games I'm running at Gary Con this year:

Gary Con XII games that I'm running

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:13 pm 

FYI, I will be a guest on the Wandering DMs live chat tomorrow at 1 PM EST with hosts Delta & Paul!

Their YT channel is here: http://youtube.com/wanderingdms

The twitter promo is here: WanderingDMs on Twitter: "Set your clocks right, because we've got Zach from @ZenopusArchives on the show tomorrow to talk about his smash-hit Ruined Tower of Zenopus on DM's Guild, and his unmatched knowledge of Holmes Basic #DnD (1 PM Sunday)"

ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: I will be a guest on Wandering DMs live chat tomorrow

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:41 pm 

(updated image for the product site)

News:

The Ruined Tower of Zenopus goes Electrum on DMs Guild!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:28 am 

A new Equipment Reference Sheet for Holmes Ref! Read more on the blog & find the link for download (free 1-page pdf):

Holmes Ref Equipment Sheet

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:05 pm 

Was looking for something that was listed in electrum and luckily I found the pint of ale!
Cheers

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:41 pm 

Yeah, electrum needs to be used more often! Or order two mugs and pay 1 gold.  8)

Something completely different for today:

A portrait of Holmes in an imagined study, drawn by fan David Crawford!

Read more here:
ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: Holmes Portrait by David Crawford

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:25 pm 

Very nice drawing!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:04 am 

A possible influence on Sutherland's red dragon on the cover of the Holmes Basic Set:

Smaug vs the Sutherland Dragon

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:58 pm 

The ridges around the eyes of the Sutherland dragon look to me like a person holding their thumbs & forefingers in circles around their eyes. Based on the position of the remaining fingers, it is someone leaning backwards, so that you see their head upside-down.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:47 pm 

Interesting observation, sauromatian...

A few days ago I put up another sheet, a "Rolling Up An Adventurer" reference sheet on character generation. Includes a bonus sheet with my take on "Swanson Abilities".

Read more & find the download link here:
ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: Holmes Ref: Rolling up an Adventurer

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:54 pm 

The Ruined Tower of Zenopus is currently on sale at DMs Guild for $1.59 as part of their current "Play It Forward" promotion.
Many other items are also on sale (20% off) as part of the site-wide sale that lasts through this Saturday.

ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: The Ruined Tower of Zenopus is on sale this week

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:10 pm 

I am pleased to announce that a dungeon map is now included with the Ruined Tower of Zenopus adventure on DMs Guild!

There are actually two map files: a DM's and a Player's version. These are png files optimized for use in Roll20, but are also printable. These should be available to everyone that has already purchased the adventure.

Read more here:

Zenopus Archives announcement of the new map

BTW, the included dungeon map will also serve just as well in Roll20 if you are running the adventure with any form of old school D&D.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:39 pm 

A few links of interest for the Holmes aficionado:

Collector's note: The original publisher (Space & Time) of Holmes' 1986 D&D novel THE MAZE OF PERIL is now selling it via Amazon for $9.95 plus shipping. These are the remaining copies of the original printing.

ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: Original Printing of The Maze of Peril on Amazon

Holmes Basic and the Monster Manual are prominently featured and plot pivotal in the 2019 graphic novel SUNNY ROLLS THE DICE:

ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: Holmes Basic in Sunny Rolls the Dice

Last month, Chris Holmes, son of J. Eric Holmes was a guest on the SAVE FOR HALF Podcast, talking about NTRPG Con 2020:

Episode 26.5: North Texas RPG Con with Chris Holmes | Save for Half podcast

Chris was also on the APPENDIX N BOOK CLUB podcast back in April discussing Burroughs' Tarzan at the Earth's Core, a cross-over with the Pellucidar series that his father wrote a sequel (Mahars of Pellucidar) to back in the '70s.

ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: Chris Holmes on the Appendix N Book Club podcast

And today, the newly resurrected GROGNARDIA has an interview with Chris Holmes!

GROGNARDIA: Interview: Chris Holmes

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:36 pm 

Book ordered! Thanks Z!

PreviousNext