Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:21 am 

Thanks biopunk and mr spock. More additions are planned for future releases!

Chris Holmes is on the 3rd season of the short podcast Tell Me About Your Character, talking about his third favorite D&D character (after Boinger and Zereth) in the games he played with his father in the '70s:

ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: Chris Holmes on Tell Me About Your Character

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:25 pm 

40 years ago this weekend was Origins III on Staten Island in NYC. Holmes Basic was the new product TSR was selling!

Here are the thoughts on Holmes Basic of one convention go-er, Bill Seligman, as reported in Alarums & Excursion #25:

Seligman on Holmes Basic

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:54 am 

Zenopus wrote in Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates:One of the new additions to Holmes Ref 2.0 is a random table of twenty Lesser Magic Items. The material in this table originally appeared with illustrations in Dungeon Crawl #3, a 2013 zine (still available - see link in blog post). I've now made the Holmes Ref version available as a separate sheet, and made a blog post of the table for readability:

Lesser Magic Items

Thanks Zenopus, love it - especially the 1 hp monsters and Lesser magic items

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 pm 

Great addition Z. Always a pleasure to pop in and see an update to the Holmes world. Troll cheese or Harpy's axe, tough choice.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:29 pm 

Harpy axe! Thanks, brute.

Upcoming projects include

-a blog series read-through of Tales of Peril, hopefully starting next week
-a "Return to the Tower of Zenopus" adventure set 40 years after the original. For running at conventions.
-another new short Holmes Basic adventure I've been working on. I've designed the map/encounters and run the game once so far, and am working on writing it up.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 am 

The Tales of Peril book club has commenced with the following posts:

Tales of Peril book club - intro/index
Tales of Peril - Cover Art
Tales of Peril - Dust Jacket Flaps - content on the dust jacket flaps, including a larger scan of the author photo

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:28 pm 

Delving into the actual book, here I cover the 'Front Matter' - title page, table of contents, credits, acknowledgements, introduction by grodog, etc:

Tales of Peril - Front Matter

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:56 am 

Here's the first Book Club post covering the actual stories. Warning: contains spoilers.

The Maze of Peril - Chapter 1: ENTRANCES - first scene:

"The Green Dragon Tavern was Crowded, Dark, Noisy"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 am 

For the holidays, I'm giving away a copy of Holmes' 1980 authorized Buck Rogers sequel, MORDRED

If you don't have a copy and are interested in entering, leave a comment on the blog post

Holmes for the Holidays 2017

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:18 pm 

Here are the latest posts in the Tales of Peril Book Club:

Scene 2: "Rumors of the Fabulous Treasures of the Underworld"

Scene 3: "Murray the Mage, It Is"

Scene 4: "Tromping Through the Wilderness"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:00 pm 

Z, the ancient builder story sounds great. Love that idea. Look forward to reading more about it!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:14 pm 

*bump*

Last week I announced a new part of the Zenopus Archives site, an annotated Holmes Photo Gallery ---

J. Eric Holmes Photo Gallery

And new this week is the oldest photo for the Gallery so far, from Holmes' HS senior year yearbook ---

J. Eric Holmes Yearbook Entry

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:26 pm 

If you should start coming up with candid shots from his childhood, I'm going to start worrying about you.  PDT_Armataz_01_13

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:05 pm 

:lol:

Well, I am in touch with Chris Holmes, so that wouldn't be too out there.

I was drawn to the yearbook entry more the bio than the pic, since it shows he was already interested in writing for the pulps. He really was a life-long superfan, into so many genres --- weird/horror fiction, swords & sorcery, sci-fi, comics (both superhero and underground), role-playing games, miniatures, Japanese toys.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:39 am 

SimperingToad wrote in Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates:If you should start coming up with candid shots from his childhood, I'm going to start worrying about you.

What we mostly need now are accounts of miracles & virtuous deeds. This will establish a path for beautification & eventual sainthood. I think that "making sense out of the mess that was OD&D" should fulfill the miracle part, & this forum has been a great help in tracking down relics. The photos you mentioned will come in handy down the line when we start selling good-luck charms with the blessed likeness.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:34 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates:... will establish a path for beautification & eventual sainthood.

Ahhh that errant 'U' creeping in makes it more of a make-over than a path to virtue. Of course I always hoped D&D would make me prettier... ;)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:11 pm 

red_bus wrote in Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates:
sauromatian wrote in Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates:... will establish a path for beautification & eventual sainthood.

Ahhh that errant 'U' creeping in makes it more of a make-over than a path to virtue. Of course I always hoped D&D would make me prettier... ;)

"Beatification" is the correct one?!! I thought that had something to do with becoming more like the Beatles.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:37 pm 

Good looking AND saintlike :) ... don't get me wrong, I am totally up for selling Holmes (and Gygax) good luck charms. I reckon we'll be rich by Xmas!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

PreviousNext