Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:46 pm 

It just pains me to see what would have otherwise been an addition to one of the publicly-viewable D&D archival/info sources out there (this site, this and other forums, blogs such as yours, etc.) suddenly have the potential to fall behind an invitation-only privacy wall.

Sure, you can manually copy/move relevant info to your blog, but a) that takes extra effort, b) you're making a value judgement about what's useful (and you could be wrong about what's useful), c) you could make a transcription error, and d) if you were no longer able to authorize access to the group for any reason, then access to the information in the G+ community would be lost to new folks.

It pains me to see folks flocking to G+ for certain types of discussions, when those types of discussions are much more valuable (in legacy terms) when they've occurred on a publicly-viewable, easily-searchable venue. G+ is neither of those things (at least it's not _necessarily_ either of those things).

Would it be better or worse if Gygax's Q&A threads at various forums were instead (for example) just his responses to individual G+ posts?

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:12 pm 

Google has shown many times it's complete lack of caring about privacy. Wether stealing wireless data on drive-bys with the mapping cars, or the fact they store data gained from use of gmail, or their links with the NSA (the extent of which remains a source of debate).

They don't need my personal data, including my real name (to what purpose does it serve for them to know this?), to operate an 'ad service' of any kind. They already have IP addresses for this and cookies (unless blocked, in which case it's none of their damn business to force browsers to take their crap).

Best private search engine I am aware of is Startpage. They use Google results, but Google sees their IP address, not yours. If anyone knows a better engine, I'm all ears.

Do no evil my flipping arse.  :evil:

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:21 pm 

*bump*

Jeff T. (Ghul here) was interviewed on the Dead Games Society podcast back in May. The subject: Holmes Basic. He was quite an enthusiastic ambassador for the set. If you missed the interview back then, listen to it now! Read more here:

Jeff T. on Holmes Basic

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:09 pm 

cool, thanks for pointing that out

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:31 pm 

Above is a screenshot of a new character sheet I made for Holmes Basic. Also generally compatible with OD&D, Swords & Wizardry, Delving Deeper etc.

The link for download of the pdf (1 page) can be found in this blog post, or from the Holmes Ref link found in my sig.

ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: New Character Sheet PDF for Download

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:19 am 

Zenopus,

I can't seem to get the download page to work.  Is it me?

~throwi

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:53 pm 

throwi wrote in Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates:Zenopus,

I can't seem to get the download page to work.  Is it me?

Throwi, I tried three different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, each on a Mac) and was able to download the sheet from each, when logged out of G+ in each case.
Perhaps your browser cache needs to be cleared since I replaced the download link on Sunday?
Anybody else having trouble downloading?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:50 am 

Ah, its a cookie issue.

Although I have Firefox set to always accept third-party cookies (until they expire), it still won't download.  Oh well.

~throwi

Last edited by throwi on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:56 am 

throwi wrote in Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates:Ah, its a cookie issue.

~throwi

So, you had to toss your cookies before you could download it?   :wink:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 am 

Worked here. I'll email it to you if you want, throwi.

Carpe DM!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:15 pm 

cdenham wrote in Zenopus Archives: Holmes Basic website & blog - updates:Worked here. I'll email it to you if you want, throwi.

Give it a send, please!

~throwi

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:49 am 

I have a new blog post on an RPG artifact of the '70s, the marked 20-sided die:

ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: Marked 20-sided Die

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:17 pm 

I posted this in Free RPG 2017 thread, but I'm going to copy it over here for posterity:

Holmes Ref 2.0, a new 18-page compilation of Holmes Ref sheets, is now available.

Visit the blog to read more and download the compilation: Holmes Ref 2.0

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:17 pm 

One of the new additions to Holmes Ref 2.0 is a random table of twenty Lesser Magic Items. The material in this table originally appeared with illustrations in Dungeon Crawl #3, a 2013 zine (still available - see link in blog post). I've now made the Holmes Ref version available as a separate sheet, and made a blog post of the table for readability:

Lesser Magic Items

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:20 am 

Thanks for these!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:44 am 

Yeah, those are some great additions!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:21 am 

Thanks biopunk and mr spock. More additions are planned for future releases!

Chris Holmes is on the 3rd season of the short podcast Tell Me About Your Character, talking about his third favorite D&D character (after Boinger and Zereth) in the games he played with his father in the '70s:

ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: Chris Holmes on Tell Me About Your Character

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:25 pm 

40 years ago this weekend was Origins III on Staten Island in NYC. Holmes Basic was the new product TSR was selling!

Here are the thoughts on Holmes Basic of one convention go-er, Bill Seligman, as reported in Alarums & Excursion #25:

Seligman on Holmes Basic

PreviousNext