ST1 Auction
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:16 pm 

$610 new record? honestly two of the museum investors and I takled for about an hour about how much to pay for the module. What we decided was to obbiously to go for it. To tell you the truth we didn't think we where going to win it. And as far as that evil word "sniping" on e-bay lets be honest any highly collectable item has this happen. All the bidding takes place in the last few seconds. We've tride to place fair to high bids and let them stand, and we've always been out bid. I'm willing to bet that if I would have placed a $610 bid even one minute before close it would have gone for $612 or more. Someone did bid $600. Lets face it E-bay is a sellers market, and I don't like paying more than what it's worth. But hard to come by is hard to come by. As far as the POTVQ this was a must for the museum, and we've always wanted the black folder. It's like getting a first and second print togeather, and it has a mysterious look to it, great for the museum. As far as being incomplete I'll let you know. I have a call into Tadashie. He may be the original buyer. The two Dungeoneers #2 and #3 I recived from him where addressed to him 1976 post marks. He may know excatlly when/where he purchased it. It could shead some light on the first/second print mystery.

More to come,
Mike

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:26 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:As far as the POTVQ this was a must for the museum, and we've always wanted the black folder. It's like getting a first and second print togeather, and it has a mysterious look to it, great for the museum.

Agreed! Congratulations :)

Pity it doesn't glow in the dark!! 8)

invincibleoverlord wrote:As far as being incomplete I'll let you know. I have a call into Tadashie.

Tadashi E. (well known figure in RPG history).

Umm... the auction description:
"Level five referee's map is tri-folded and seems to be a copy"

Well, I'd guess it's tri-folded because Tadashi (or whoever the original owner was) wrote off and got sent a replacement page. (Or possibly from another source, at a later date... who knows...?).
Now, whether that's an original page, or a photocopy, I simply don't know.
Presumably Tadashi was playing safe in the auction description, but in that case so was I with my bidding... (And I really didn't expect to be in there at the end, to be honest).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:27 pm 

Good luck with the ST1 Harami

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:30 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Good luck with the ST1 Harami

You know I'm not answering that (implied) question, and I know you're not playing the value down. Fair's fair? :)

I'm already looking forward to the after-auction discussions, though!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:40 pm 

I wasen't impling anything, I saw you where the high bidder on St1 part 2 (has two ever come out at the same time? and do you think this will effect bidding) The second one looks nicer. Again no impling anything just wishing a fellow collector luck.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:51 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I wasen't impling anything, I saw you where the high bidder on St1 part 2 (has two ever come out at the same time? and do you think this will effect bidding)

Sorry, that's the danger: was already confusing enough before that second copy appeared... and I do feel obliged to be reasonably careful making comments here!

For example, if someone was to play down the value of "item x" and say a second "item x" looked nicer, then nab the first one relatively inexpensively and sit back to watch the other one soar away, what would be said here? (and how would the buyers feel?)
Just hypothetically speaking, of course...

And the sums of money involved here are not trivial.

invincibleoverlord wrote:The second one looks nicer. Again no impling anything just wishing a fellow collector luck.

Thanks for that, Mike (& co.). Always appreciated. :)

Yes, but I also needed decent eyes and guesswork to spot several of the apparent flaws on the first copy before the enlargements were made available.

That second copy is certainly not perfect, and auction descriptions such as "Very played" and "Very Good Condition" (check The Acaeum's grading page!) mean that the buyer would have almost zero comeback on the sale should they find any relatively small faults (including than the creases, etc., which are visible).

=

And I still don't know what a <quachduck> is, but the second seller doesn't seem to mind having zero-feedback/no-RPG buying history bidders on their auction (yet...).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:25 pm 

$610 is by far the most I've seen a black folder go for. Mine was $281, and I thought that was steep at the time.
Here's a thought: How much will Malcolm be in the hole when he outbids everyone for the 2 ST1's in his attempt to control the market? Will the price of St1's go over $2,000 for thrashed copies? Stay tuned!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:28 pm 

AND, I wouldn't touch that ST1 auction until better descriptions and pics are available.
It appears to be in much better shape than  the one Lawrenson showed me, and he was asking 800 pounds for that one (lol), so I imagine he will bid well over that on it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:30 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:$610 is by far the most I've seen a black folder go for. Mine was $281, and I thought that was steep at the time.

Mike, don't ask Frank about his tourney Inverness, whatever you do! :roll:
Deadlord36 wrote:Here's a thought: How much will Malcolm be in the hole when he outbids everyone for the 2 ST1's in his attempt to control the market? Will the price of St1's go over $2,000 for thrashed copies? Stay tuned!

*g*

Depends if they've all got reserves set at $2,001...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:18 pm 

And I still don't know what a <quachduck> is, but the second seller doesn't seem to mind having zero-feedback/no-RPG buying history bidders on their auction (yet...).

The infamous <quachduck> I hear he has 42 hit points and an AC of 1

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:00 pm 

Must be a first level 3E character.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:50 am 

terribly quiet around here just now... 8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:37 am 

harami2000 wrote:terribly quiet around here just now... 8)

I'm sure people will think of something to say very soon, maybe I'll pen a line or two in the mean time.   :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:48 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Malcolm, you can't possibly think that the copy you wanted to trade was better ......

Interesting choice of words as it was you who approached me requesting the trade and after seeing the scans of the dog-gnawed copy with tea stain, proposed the trade for #103, which I rejected (yes I do still have the emails). I was however somewhat dismayed at the tone of your posts as I would have expected you above most people to have learned to handle rejection more appropriately. I do think your Freudian valuation of $4,000 somewhat excessive, though if you would like me to put you on my ST1 waiting list at that price just let me know. :lol:

As to your assertions that I would pay $2000 per copy to control the price and your belief that there are hundreds of them out there I think you somewhat overestimate the proportion of my finances I would dedicate to any hobby. I have no interest in controlling the price as this would be a thoroughly scurrilous thing to do ‘though wholly feasible with the numbers I think exist. However if I see a bargain I'm happy to buy it. :)

Cheers,

Malcolm.

P.S.

Keep up the trash talk, it may get you your module.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:59 am 

Hey Frank....

I am impressed ... you bid against a zero bidder.  (you almost had it too!) I seem to remember you suggesting you wouldn't bid?

Question ... I would have thought you had an ST1 by now?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:21 am 

Actually, it was my e-mail to the seller telling him that I was prepared to throw quite a bit at it that got posted on the auction. I'm not in a huge rush to get one, there are plenty out there. Hell, Lawrenson has 10 or so, right?
BTW Malcolm, if you did indeed sell the ST1's, congrats. I'd be more than happy to e-mail scans of the Inverness I offered to trade you to anyone who wants to judge whether it was a fair offer. We both know it was, but I think that in your quest to make maximum profit, you made a mistake. The Inverness would sell in a heartbeat, even at your mortgage-inducing prices, and it is in FAR better condition than the ST1. Yet I was willing to trade because I already have another Inverness, and it would be nice to have ST1.
The fact of the matter is that you pinch pennies so hard that Lincoln screams in pain. And the St1 that just sold, which makes the coffee-stained one look like a birdcage liner, went for 150 pounds less than what you were asking for yours. So it seems to me I was actually lucky that we didn't trade.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:27 am 

Oh, and had I actually won over the 0 bidder, I'd have gotten his contact info. If he was a fraud, I would have told the seller to keep his module. He was warned about the 0 bidder and did nothing to block him. It's either a secondary account for an Acaeum member or a fraud. No one comes in to eBay and bids ONLY on ST1's and PoVQ like that. Well, maybe invincible.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:54 am 

As I look into my crystal ball...

I predict that the second ST1 will go for more than the first ($1,252).  

My crystal ball's reasoning: folks who were going to bid on the first one decided to wait for the second one to see if they could get it a bit cheaper.  From observing eBay over the years that almost never works; if anything it will just drive up interest in the second one since the first one was passed by, but we'll see...

:wink:

PreviousNext