module code meanings??
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:29 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Probably not in the FAQ -- but I'd certainly consider a separate page, probably in the library section.  That should take all of five minutes to complete... and I think I'll do that right now.

Most excellent, Scott! :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:00 am 

grodog wrote:Thanks all.  

I also recall that someone in the forums here also posted an official list of the codes from a UK source---a WD interview, or TSR UK interview or something like that???

It was I said the fly...

On page 54 of issue 25 (of Imagine magazine, a UK mag) it goes on talking about the product codes given to modules... S-Special A-Advanced ("This series was written by four different authors, was about slavers,was set in a variety of lacations and was published in such a way that we got A3 before A2") C- Competition (" C1 was intended to be the first in a series of Competition modules") T-Towers U and UK- denote modules written in the UK ("Mind you, the origional idea was that these should be called F (for Foreign, Just to make sure we felt wanted).") N-Novice L-Low I-Intermediate H-High EX-Extra CB- Conan the Barbarian DL- Dragon Lance WG- World of Greyhawk ("... but to make things more interesting, the first module in the WG series was WG4. It then transpired that S1 should really have been WG1, S3 should have been WG2 and S4 should have been WG3" B-Basic X-eXpert CM- CoMpanion (" At the time K was chosen for Kompanion but fortunately that idea never caught on...") M- Magic Marker MV- Magic Viewer O- One-on-One XL- eXpert Licenced

Brette:)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:25 am 

Just a little tidbit - I noticed that the Ruins of Myth Drannor box set has an FRX1 on the top right corner of the Monstrous Compendium sheets.

I believe that this was one of the first second ed. Forgotten Realms box sets (maybe just after Menzoberranzan?).  It appears that TSR may have been intending to start a product code line of FRX (Forgotten Realms BoX maybe?).  What would have been next?  FRX2 Elminsters Ecologies, FRX3 Ruins of Undermountain?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:47 am 

they ran out of number on FR so put an X on just to confuse everyone that little bit more? :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:51 pm 

I was working on putting some OA modules up for action when I noticed an interesting discrepancy in OA6 and OA7.

The production year listed for OA6 is 1990 and the year listed for OA7 is 1989.

Does any body else have this also? Which years are correct? These are both noted as being the first 2nd Edition Orental Adventure module set in Kara-Tur in the forgotten Realms.

Note: OA5 is also set in KTFR

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:48 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:I was working on putting some OA modules up for action when I noticed an interesting discrepancy in OA6 and OA7.

The production year listed for OA6 is 1990 and the year listed for OA7 is 1989.

Does any body else have this also? Which years are correct? These are both noted as being the first 2nd Edition Orental Adventure module set in Kara-Tur in the forgotten Realms.

Note: OA5 is also set in KTFR

I did check here: This Personal Web Pages (PWP) site has been discontinued so it would appear to be right.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:24 am 

Plaag wrote:
I did check here: This Personal Web Pages (PWP) site has been discontinued so it would appear to be right.

ShaneG.

Did that too. Question is whether it is correct or not. Kind of wierd that the OA7 would come out before the OA6 so it must be a typo error.

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:46 pm 

It could simply be that OA6 was unexpectedly delayed somehow during production (editing, etc.) and didn't get into publication until after OA7 was released.

The Egg

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:06 pm 

Similar to the Masons, the Ancient and Honorable Order of Secret Product Code Masters has far more secrets than you could ever suspect.

I am still honor-bound not to reveal the arcane knowlege subsumed therein, so you're outta luck. And a mysterious hooded stranger will arrive by my deathbed to confiscate the Holy Manual before any outsider can get it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:25 pm 

ST1 was the Post Code of the Stoke-on-Trent Garden Festival.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:35 pm 

Bumping an old thread to bring some additional discussion from ScottyG's board to here:

foster1941 on Doomsday Games wrote:I like that The Land Beyond The Magic Mirror's original module code designation was "GC S8/X2," indicating presumably that it's the second extradimensional level (Dungeonland presumably being the first) reached via dungeon level S8 in Greyhawk Castle. It's too bad they dropped that and went with the "EX" code instead.

I wonder if there were alternate codes at some point for other early EGG modules like S1, S3, G1-3, D1-3, or others planned for other early tourneys, RJK modules, etc.?  Here are the ones I'm aware of:

GC S8/X1 --> GC1 Dungeonland --> EX1
GC S8/X2 --> GC2 Land Beyond the Magic Mirror --> EX2

WG1 Village of Hommlet --> T1
WG2 Temple of Elemental Evil --> T2 --> T1-4

WG3 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth --> S4
WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
WG5 Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure
WG6 Isle of the Ape

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:33 am 

lawrenson wrote in module code meanings??:ST1 was the Post Code of the Stoke-on-Trent Garden Festival.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Interesting.  Hadn't picked up on that correlation before.  Thought that ST1 code was derived from "Steam Train Adventures", perhaps in reference to the railway and trains that are in the park.  Either way it explains the code.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:27 pm 

grodog wrote:I wonder if there were alternate codes at some point for other early EGG modules like S1, S3, G1-3, D1-3, or others planned for other early tourneys, RJK modules, etc.?  Here are the ones I'm aware of:

[snip]
WG3 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth --> S4

Newly-discovered info shows the flow for S4's module codes to have changed several times:

1. The Lost Caverns of Tsojconth (original MDG tourney 1976) -->
2. WG II The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (1979 letter from EGG to RJK) -->
3. S5 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (from Polyhedron #2, Autumn 1981) -->
4. WG3 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (1983 Greyhawk Boxed set) -->
5. S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (final)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 pm 

I can dig up one or two more, with citations, hopefully tonight. Does it matter that they're not Gygax or Kuntz modules? For example, I believe UK1 was slated as an F or S or U module at various points.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:55 pm 

Guy Fullerton wrote in module code meanings??:I can dig up one or two more, with citations, hopefully tonight. Does it matter that they're not Gygax or Kuntz modules? For example, I believe UK1 was slated as an F or S or U module at various points.

No, I was thinking generally (although I'm most personally curious about the EGG/RJK modules, of course!).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:32 pm 

I thought I knew of multiple re-codings mentioned in Players Association News, but it looks like it was only UK1.

PAN #5 (Nov 1981) p 8: The Modules list shows F1 Beyond the Crystal Cave.

PAN #6 (Jan 1982) p. 2: Just after the New Products section's mention of the newly released U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is: "Following U1 in 1982 will be F1 (or S5 or U4), called - Beyond the Crystal Cave. This is another British product and is, again, for thoughtful players. You may find that it is a little different to most modules you have played in!"
p 12: The Modules list shows S5 Beyond the Crystal Cave.

You can see the aforementioned two Modules lists here:
Players Association News (Issue 5 - Nov 1981) | Image  | RPGGeek
Players Association News (Issue 6 - Jan 1982) | Image  | RPGGeek

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:47 am 

Thanks Guy.  There are probably additional alternate codes listed in the Dungeon Hobby Shop catalogs, too, come to think of it....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:05 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in module code meanings??:Probably not in the FAQ -- but I'd certainly consider a separate page, probably in the library section.  That should take all of five minutes to complete... and I think I'll do that right now.

Did you ever end up building a page listing the history of the module code changes, Scott?

The codes came up at Grognardia yesterday:  GROGNARDIA: T2, Castle Greyhawk, and More

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

PreviousNext