Vinyl 31%       31%  [ 9 ]
Cassette 7%       7%  [ 2 ]
Both 3%       3%  [ 1 ]
None 59%       59%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 29

Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:43 pm 

johnhuck wrote:ST1 please.  So if you win, I'll happily swap my ULTRA MEGA RARE cassette for your common as muck ST1.  :wink:

*vbeg*

Really, some people do have a one track mind!

I asked whether you'd rather have a vinyl copy of "First Quest", or a cassette one (in the context of "value")...  and your answer was "ST1 please".

Oh well, can throw one of those in for free, I suppose! :lol: :lol:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:08 pm 

Two copies within the last 24 hours and not much apparent interest from over here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5924295915
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 4041756855

Barring (invisible) failed snipes, the only reason the first copy (Mint, played once) went above $45 was one of the Warhammer power-bidders(!!) getting involved and pushing up the underbidding.

The only reason the second copy went anywhere at all was that I forgot to cancel my snipe. Result being said underbidder (above) ended up paying more than they'd've had to otherwise, to purchase the latter one... Oops!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:36 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Two copies within the last 24 hours and not much apparent interest from over here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5924295915
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 4041756855

Barring (invisible) failed snipes, the only reason the first copy (Mint, played once) went above $45 was one of the Warhammer power-bidders(!!) getting involved and pushing up the underbidding.

The only reason the second copy went anywhere at all was that I forgot to cancel my snipe. Result being said underbidder (above) ended up paying more than they'd've had to otherwise, to purchase the latter one... Oops!

I didn't bid on the first as a promise.  Nice near mint win.  I would have happily paid £50 or £60. How many have you got now for the purpose of the poll?

And I had a £25 snipe on the second in an attempt to pick up a bargain.

These seem to be getting quite common.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:04 pm 

johnhuck wrote:I didn't bid on the first as a promise.  Nice near mint win.  I would have happily paid £50 or £60. How many have you got now for the purpose of the poll?

And I had a £25 snipe on the second in an attempt to pick up a bargain.

These seem to be getting quite common.

*g*.
Thanks, John.  Am surprised cougar and others took 18 hours+ to spot these.

(And, of course, Burnie doesn't need a mint copy now... :()
However; £50-60 still sounds a bit high, given that the second copy wasn't far off mint.

My other vinyl copy (disappointingly VGish, only, and not helped by the usual hopeless packaging) is being given away as a freebie, so long as my new copy arrives intact.
*fingers crossed*

(They weren't that "rare" in the first place, IMHO; per above.
And I didn't even ask a friend to check whether that copy was still for sale in Keswick for a tenner...).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:29 pm 

What about the CD version (1994, here)? Does it have any value or should I be shamed for even mentioning it in the same thread as the real thing.

(I don't have one, but I ran across one recently)

Carl

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:19 pm 

Uh, this is something very different. It's not the CD version of the First Quest LP/tape (see: Page Not Found for picture and further description), but a beginner's version of AD&D, with simplified rules, aimed to draw more novice players into AD&D. This is worth little to nothing, you should be able to pick up a complete set for something like $5 ...

From the 1994 TSR catalog: "Designed to be the introduction to the AD&D game system, the First Quest audio CD game provides a clear starting point for those interested in role-playing adventures"

This box is much more common in the UK than anywhere else.

BTW, there were two more 2nd Edition items, that had the same purpose - the "AD&D Starter Set" and the "Introduction to AD&D".

All three items are totally worthless for someone who knows how to play the game - just boxed sets with simplified AD&D rules.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Previous