Both 3%       3%  [ 1 ]
None 59%       59%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 29

Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:49 pm 

As a follow up to the thread First Quest LP

dathon wrote:Just received the LP set in the mail today and it's in nice shape.  
That said, I don't think this one should be considered a level "5" rarity.  It comes up every other month, at least recently it seems, and probably should be a level "4" rarity.  My two coppers...

I've noticed that there have been quite a few of these come up for sale in the last few months in the UK.

I was wondering what the relative rarity of the vinyl/cassette versions are amongst members of the forum.

Please feel free to comment on the relative rarity as you see it or the number you own (burnie  :wink: )

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:55 pm 

I've got one of each.

And I would suggest that the cassette is probably much rarer than vinyl.

But I'm not sure if that would necessarily mean that it commanded a higher price.

Talking of which.  The prices I've seen for vinyl seem to have dropped from a high of £100 about a year ago, through £60 and now the last few I've seen for sale have struggled to go much over £40.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:54 pm 

We just have one vinyl copy, but would like to eventually get one in better shape. The cassette doesn't come up for auction nearly as often as the LP. I know Foul bought one about a year ago for $55.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:02 pm 

$55 sounds fairly reasonable.  About £30.  I paid £25 for mine about a month ago.

Not much of a sample.  But from the information so far the cassette would appear to be rarer than vinyl.  But less desirable.

For reference, the last completed auction I saw:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4030973866

And the one currently for sale:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5921662321

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:29 pm 

johnhuck wrote:$55 sounds fairly reasonable.  About £30.  I paid £25 for mine about a month ago.

Not much of a sample.  But from the information so far the cassette would appear to be rarer than vinyl.  But less desirable.

For reference, the last completed auction I saw:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4030973866

And the one currently for sale:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5921662321

About £25-30 ($45-55) sounds close enough. Perhaps a bit higher given the "base price" of any half-way uncommon record, especially with near-mint jacket (i.e. higher price for a mint copy of vinyl edition).
Even if the cassette might be rarer, vinyl is usually more desirable, no? (Doubly-so for those people without 10x magnifying glasses on hand...).
Turned down a copy in Keswick for a tenner last year and have seen a couple of others before (given that I'm not into browsing record shops or record sections of second-hand shops). Scarce, perhaps. Ultra-rare, not...

(Mind you, the same goes for the R1-4/RPGA1-4 "bubble"; although in that case it's the price that's gotten even more carried away than the rarity index, IMHO).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:20 pm 

Can anyone tell me what the adventure with the album is all about?  It looks like a generic fantasy kingdom, but was it tied to a campaign setting?  And what is the plot about?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:36 pm 

We need a review by Darkseraphim!

Also - can anyone describe the music of the album?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:39 pm 

Seven of you guys have this thing and no one can tell me what the adventure is about?  Is it locked away in vaults?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:15 pm 

dave wrote:Seven of you guys have this thing and no one can tell me what the adventure is about?  Is it locked away in vaults?

:D

Dave, if the rest are like me, they've never bothered reading it!  I will try and make time this week.  And if no one has posted a review in the meantime, I will.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:23 am 

Okay, the adventure is in two parts.  I haven't listened to the album, which explains the intent of the adventure, but it appears to be based on the recovery of an artifact called The Chalice.

In part one (record one) the party is continually harassed by the minions of the Old Gods (shades) as it make its way across the Fenial Fields and follows the River Osgorrim upstream to the Goblin Kingdom in search of the entrance to the Underworld.  The party must vanquish nests of Xorn (nests of Xorn you say?  Aarrgh!!!).  After that the party will have to deal with the Hobgoblin Kingdom...  After dispatching, or fleeing, from all foes the party can proceed to the Entrance to the Underworld.

Part two (record two) is just a modest bit more difficult (heh, heh) and can be a precursor to D1-3 or Q1.  This would imply that it was expected to be set in the WOG.  In this part of the adventure the party is seeking out The Chalice and must enter the Underworld to obtain it.  The roster of monsters is quite impressive and is not for the novice DM or inexperienced players.

The adventure is for a very high level party.  Even characters of 15th level and better will have a difficult time.

Hope this provides a little insight into what the adventure/album is about.  Perhaps other owners of the album will add additional info.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:42 pm 

Thanks, I am surprised it was for such high level characters.  Usually that stuff is designed for low level.  It also sounds like it was designed for 1E, perhaps Acaeum could specify what year this thing was released.

In gratitude I will do a short writeup of Seren Ironhand when I get the chance.  I had that for a short time and got a chance to read it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:09 pm 

(1985)

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:40 pm 

AD&D 1st edition.  Code: DRAGON1, Not sure why though...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:46 pm 

Latest vinyl copy was $90
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5921662321
(appeared to be in nice condition, though...)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:39 pm 

So, out of those who voted so far.  About half don't own a copy. (As he attempts to deflect interest from ST1 underhandedness  :oops: )

And, of those copies out there, only one in nine is a cassette.

That has surely got to make the cassette a category rarer than the vinyl?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:08 pm 

johnhuck wrote:So, out of those who voted so far.  About half don't own a copy. (As he attempts to deflect interest from ST1 underhandedness  :oops: )

And, of those copies out there, only one in nine is a cassette.

That has surely got to make the cassette a category rarer than the vinyl?

So "First Quest" is rarer than ST1, then, on total "head count"?
Sounds like a fair swap, no?? 8O

(Hence my previous comments about being certain that ST1 isn't quite as rare as it might seem from the forum's collective p.o.v.
ST1 survival rate?? ).

Yes, cassette version of "First Quest" is definitely rarer- even more so than I'd expected. (Or could it also be that second-hand shops are more willing to buy old vinyl collections?).
But which would you rather have??

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:11 pm 

We listened to the albums. They are 99% horrible synthesiser music with a few sentences of narration. The adventure needs fleshing out, so unless you are a completist I wouldn't spend the money to buy a copy.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:14 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Yes, cassette version of "First Quest" is definitely rarer- even more so than I'd expected. (Or could it also be that second-hand shops are more willing to buy old vinyl collections?).
But which would you rather have??

ST1 please.  So if you win, I'll happily swap my ULTRA MEGA RARE cassette for your common as muck ST1.  :wink:

Next