EBay plays GOD
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:02 pm 

Recently I was kicked off EBay for having nothing more than the same postal address as another user who was banned.  I was sent an e-mail indicating that I am "associated" with a banned member and I have therefore been kicked off Ebay too.  Yeah, my association is that I am in the same physical building as a banned member and that member happens to be my landlord.  What a farce!  I have tried to appeal this decision and EBay stands by their ruling.  In fact they have told me that anyone who has the same address as me, or is associated with me cannot have an account.  The funny thing is they won't even tell me what I have done wrong.  Anyone had a similar experience, or have any suggestions for me?

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:01 pm 

Get a lawyer that will work for free, unless you win, and sue.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:25 am 

Do you have an apartment or do you just rent a room?  I don't know, but I imagine that a different apartment is a different physical address (otherwise one banned member could prevent dozens and dozens from being on eBay).

If you do have the exact same address is it possible to add something like "Unit B" at the end?  You might have to mention to the postal carrier (or your local station) that you are Unit B - but it might work.

Otherwise a PO Box might be the only solution.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:49 am 

Try a work, friend or relative's address.

Or get some good programers and a lot of capital and start up an alternative to eBay.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:29 pm 

cadis666 wrote:Recently I was kicked off EBay for having nothing more than the same postal address as another user who was banned.  I was sent an e-mail indicating that I am "associated" with a banned member and I have therefore been kicked off Ebay too.  Yeah, my association is that I am in the same physical building as a banned member and that member happens to be my landlord.  What a farce!  I have tried to appeal this decision and EBay stands by their ruling.  In fact they have told me that anyone who has the same address as me, or is associated with me cannot have an account.  The funny thing is they won't even tell me what I have done wrong.  Anyone had a similar experience, or have any suggestions for me?

Have you asked your landlord what he did wrong to get banned from Ebay?  I'd start there.  But realistically you are going to have to get a PO Box it looks like.
   Actually, this could be an interesting dilemma for renters.  What if you rent an apartment/house that was once used by someone banned by ebay?  I know that there was a legal case here in Texas recently because a family renting a house had it designated as a known locale for a sex offender, because a previous tenant was a pervert, but found that the state of Texas would not remove the designation for XXX amount of years (I forgot the exact number).  That is unless the sex offender left a forwarding address, which he did not, (how convenient), they were stuck with the designation forever.  I think they finally got it removed after much legal trouble.

Mike B.