Mint = Shrinkwrapped?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:37 pm 

I have recently sold an item which I rated and advertised as "mint" to a well-known reseller. The reseller claimed that the item was not shrinkwrapped, as this was his definition of mint. (He also claimed whitening on the back of the item). I have offered to refund him.

I have never heard before, that mint condition stands for a shrinkwrapped item.

What's your opinion?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:45 pm 

Hey Ralf

Mint = like new .. as in the condition that the object would have been when you had just purchased it new.  This does not necessarily mean shrink'd.  If there is whitening on he back of the object then I would suggest near mint is probably a more accurate reflection.

By the way I have bought shrink items which I would only rate as excellent even though they are still in shrink.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:46 pm 

As far as we are concerned Mint doesn't have anything to do with shrinkwrap.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:40 pm 

Mint merely means without any clearly visible defects. Whitening would definitely drop it to NM at least, though.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:23 pm 

Hi Ralf -

Offering a refund is probable the best way to go, but I agree with Frank and the others - if you advertise something as mint, it doesn't necessarily imply it's still in shrinkwrap. I think you're in the right reagrding the auction description, but I also think you're doing the right thing by refunding the cash.

I have an item up for auction at the moment, a Garden of the Plantmaster. It's still in the original shrink, but I wouldn't class it as mint - the SW has either shrunk or was too tight to begin with so the module is slightly wavy, and the edges have had a few dings. Certainly excellent condition, but a long way short of mint.

Regards

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:33 am 

No way doesn mint=factory sealed.  If you advertised the item as new, I could sympathize with the buyer.  

If you didnt though, and he really is a reseller doing this, he needs a boot in the ass.  He definately knows better (even I know better after collecting for only 7 months).

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM