eBay Warning
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:05 pm 

Hello all,

Just a warning.

Got this message in the mail today, supposedly from eBay.  Looked nice and official too.  However, when the link is clicked a file variant (of eBayISAPI.dll) tries to install itself on your machine.  It's a good thing I'm paranoid and run tons of security which caught the thing.  I'm no expert, but I assume it's probably an ID and password collector of some sort.

It's been reported.

The Egg

Here's the message in full:  

Account Investigation Important Notice

Dear eggofcoot,

We have strong reason to believe that your eBay account has been recently compromised and it could be used by a third party without your authorization. In order to prevent any fraudulent activity from occurring we are required to open an investigation into this matter. To speed up this process, you are required to verify your eBay informations by following the link below.

eBay - Page Not Found

(To complete the verification process you must fill in all the required fields)
Please Note - If your account informations are not updated within the next 72 hours, then we will assume this account is fraudulent and will be suspended. We apologize for this inconvenience, but the purpose of this verification is to ensure that your eBay account has not been fraudulently used and to combat fraud.

We appreciate your support and understanding, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade.

Thank you for your patience and attention in this important matter.

Regards,

Ian
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

Do not respond to this e-mail, as your reply will not be received.

PrimEvil Studios provides quality miniature painting at very reasonable prices.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:26 pm 

Looks like a typical spoof email.  I've seen at least a couple like this one.  Inform eBay's fraud department.  Attach the the email header.  They have instructions on how to do it.

The following link will take you to a location where you can respond:

eBay Security Center: Welcome

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:38 pm 

Account informations?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:40 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Account informations?

I guess grammar isn't their strong point.

Regards,

The Egg

PrimEvil Studios provides quality miniature painting at very reasonable prices.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:18 pm 

Being a truly paranoid, semi-literate computer user -- I NEVER click an imbedded web address -- I don't care WHO sent it!  Use copy and paste or retype it yourself. Too many charlatons have figured out how to trap victims by sending emails that forward you to someplace other than where it appears to go.  GRC.com has a wonderful site -- start with 'ShieldsUp' then onto 'LeakTest' and finally 'Shoot the Messenger'.
By the way -- where is the spell checker 8O ?  I do need to try and live up to that 'semi-literate' statement!!  :D

Big Sister

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:14 pm 

Send it to Unifying the Global Response to Cybercrime | APWG .  If they don't have it on file, they will add it.  Full instructions on what to send and how to send it are there.