Dave Sutherland auctions
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:42 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Hey, it's entirely possible that he used one or both of those beach towels at some point...(waiting to see if flocks of crazed teenage female roleplayers make the cost of beachtowels skyrocket)  :D

You have to understand, those beach towels are all that is left of the marketing direction that Gygax wanted to take when Dave became VP.  It was only for a short while, and the beach towels eventually got shelved, but he kept the prototypes and they are worth every penny.  They are quite likely the only ones left in existance (unless the Gygax family kept some).

Cent

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:57 am 

Centurion13 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Hey, it's entirely possible that he used one or both of those beach towels at some point...(waiting to see if flocks of crazed teenage female roleplayers make the cost of beachtowels skyrocket)  :D

You have to understand, those beach towels are all that is left of the marketing direction that Gygax wanted to take when Dave became VP.  It was only for a short while, and the beach towels eventually got shelved, but he kept the prototypes and they are worth every penny.  They are quite likely the only ones left in existance (unless the Gygax family kept some).

Cent

Is that Frank Mentzer who won the beach towels or some other guy?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:55 am 

Centurion13 wrote:

Cent

I think some of them made it to market because I have the one with the knight on the dragon.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:04 pm 

:D  REALLY wanted to thank all of you --- for following the DCSIII auction -- and for participating in it!!!
I had some favorites in the auction -- and mdr300 got one of them.  He only got 49 painted Nlyss minis because I kept the 50th one.  But mdr300, you do have 3 with which to practice your painting!  I also kept one of the Scots Necromundas and a tricked out motorcycle from something David played.  I also have other minis that David has given my over the years.  I'm TRYING to post pics to a web page so anyone interested may see some of David's painted minis.  I'm also hoping that you experts can tell me who made them and when.   :)
David is in better spirits and has been sober for a week.  The reality of his situation has not changed -- but he is trying to enjoy each day and not hasten the end.  He even asked my to send one of his originals back -- he hopes to finish it.   8O   :D
I have finished putting his originals into art portfolios -- and have over 100 pieces.  Only about half are totally finished.  It's fun to flip thru and look at all the work involved with some of them.  Thousands of dots!  My favorites are still his dragons and castles.
Again -- THANK YOU for your involvement and David DID want you to have his collection.  ENJOY it!!

Hilsen  [Norsk for 'Regards']
BigSister

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:08 pm 

Thanks for the update Trudy, and if Dave and you are still interested in talking about publishing some of Dave's art in new gaming DW books, please do let me know! :)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:24 am 

Hi Trudy...

I had some favorites in the auction -- and mdr300 got one of them. He only got 49 painted Nlyss minis because I kept the 50th one. But mdr300, you do have 3 with which to practice your painting!

I don't know that I'd be game to paint up the three unpainted figures... they'll have to stay bare. After perusing the auctions when Paul put them up, it came down to a choice between the Nlyss figures and the cartoon strip that Dave did, and in the end I decided to bid for the minis - although I rarely game anymore, when I do it's usually fantasy wargaming. What swayed me in favour of the minis was being able to actually use them, as opposed to having something just framed on the wall.

Thanks again for the effort you and Paul went to organising the auctions - I (and I'm sure many others) appreciate it very much.

Regards

Mike

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:18 pm 

Howdy All,

I have a few more things from David C. Sutherland III's collection up for auction. David sent these to me a couple of weeks back.

Included are a number of unreleased, orginal sculpts, masters, and hand painted miniatures for Dragonlance, Tekumel, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Battlesystem, Gangbusters, and Star Frontiers. The painted figures are not to be missed!

Here is the link:

stormber | eBay

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Previous