Dave Sutherland auctions
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:31 pm 

Howdy,

mordrin wrote:
Each lot comes with its own unique Letter of Authentication personally signed and dated by David C. Sutherland III.

Right on mordrin! I was torn between having Dave autograph everything and having the Letter of Authentication. In the end I think the letter was the best route. Thanks for pointing that out to the Forum.

Frank you are such a pessimist  :P

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:36 pm 

Ah, I must have missed that.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad he's making a bundle. I'm just amused at the craze. You might want to see if he can part with some shoes, socks, etc.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:59 pm 

Howdy Frank,

Deadlord36 wrote:Ah, I must have missed that.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad he's making a bundle. I'm just amused at the craze. You might want to see if he can part with some shoes, socks, etc.

Hah! I tried to talk him into selling the hand towel withe "Demonweb" pattern of Q1 fame! He did not respond  :oops:

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:06 pm 

Now THAT I'd probably bid on.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:43 am 

It's Monday afternoon here, and I spend the late morning/early afternoon watching the Sutherland Auctions run their course. Some of the auctions went for a very tidy sum indeed... hopefully the amount raised was up to David's hopes/expectations.

I was surprised that there wasn't more winners from the forums... Burntwire and Harami scored a belt buckle each, Burnie picked up a couple of other items, and Deadlord scored a bargain on the Phil Barker book. I was lucky enough to win a set of miniatures, which I was very happy about, and a Tekumel book.

The big item was undoubtedly the large lot of Tekumel art... was anyone surprised at the amount of the winning bid? I was expecting $1,000 or so, but $3,150 was a great result for David.

Regards

Mike

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:51 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Ah, I must have missed that.

Hey, it's entirely possible that he used one or both of those beach towels at some point...(waiting to see if flocks of crazed teenage female roleplayers make the cost of beachtowels skyrocket)  :D

YIM  

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:44 am 

i thought i did ok with my win?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWN:IT

it will be interesting to see how the this was edited and what changes might have been made...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:51 pm 

red_bus wrote:i thought i did ok with my win?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWN:IT

it will be interesting to see how the this was edited and what changes might have been made...

I agree! (spot the underbidder). Congratulations, <SM>. :)

mdr003 wrote:The big item was undoubtedly the large lot of Tekumel art... was anyone surprised at the amount of the winning bid? I was expecting $1,000 or so, but $3,150 was a great result for David.

Wow...!
Yup, was expecting about $1,000 would be the winning bid for that, too. Had thought the number of photocopies would keep the price down a bit.
Was obviously (happily) wrong :)

mdr003 wrote:I was surprised that there wasn't more winners from the forums... Burntwire and Harami scored a belt buckle each, Burnie picked up a couple of other items, and Deadlord scored a bargain on the Phil Barker book. I was lucky enough to win a set of miniatures, which I was very happy about, and a Tekumel book.

I, for one, was being somewhat restrained.
For example, it would have been tempting to try to take out all the miniatures Dave had modeled, but somehow that didn't seem right.

Similarly on the painted miniatures, I had a tough time deciding to go for the Nylss warriors (you know the ones, Mike!) or the "Historicals". Was going to push for the former, since it would've meant I could've given away a DCS "original" (identified on the auction printout) to many different people-- Then I realised I'm no longer in touch with 50 RPGers (hrrr...), so I went for the "Historicals" instead on the basis of variety and technique.
(Given the closing price, it almost feels like Dave painted them for free :().

And likewise on the buckles...
Would undoubtedly have gone for the earlier one had it been in use when Dave did the DMG cover... As close as I'd've been able to get, huh, Paul? ;)
As it is, I'm going to have to figure out whether I can put the one I did win on a belt (in the UK belts seem to come pre-buckled!), if DCS doesn't mind.
(totally aside: Who is this <father-dagon> chap who bid me up $50 on that in the last few seconds and beat us both to those key early copies of "Space Gamer" which snuck through at the same time?? Please give me a wave, if you're around here!).

Anyhow; thank you, once again, to Dave (and Trudy) for being willing to let go of all these items.
I know my purchases will be treasured; and am sure that goes for a lot of other people here, too.

Kindest regards,
David.

p.s. I have a large email backlog to catch up on. Apologies to those who are in it...

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:58 pm 

he also was keen on the plastic dinosaurs !!  

I am thinking about the beach towels which finish late tomorrow - partly for the kitsch value  :o  but i would only want one - do you want to split them (since you are in the UK) or is it just belt buckles ????  :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:14 pm 

red_bus wrote:he also was keen on the plastic dinosaurs !!

*g*. That was a bit of a bargain! Just as well I deleted my snipe bid: would've found out how high his maximum was. :?

Certainly less expensive than some other recent un-pedigreed dinos on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5919450556 (!!)

red_bus wrote:I am thinking about the beach towels which finish late tomorrow - partly for the kitsch value  :o  but i would only want one - do you want to split them (since you are in the UK) or is it just belt buckles ????  :)

Used belt buckles, if you please...

*g*. Thanks for the offer. Got 17 miles of beach here, too, but I'm afraid the locals would rob me blind before I got there. ;)
(How about you, Frank? Am sure Paul could do ya both a deal on the shipping, if so... :D)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:45 pm 

Nah, it would be tough to pick up a chick sitting on a towel with a cartoon dragon imprinted on it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:25 pm 

Sorry, red_bus... I somehow missed your name on the player's handbook when I was watching the auctions complete. Well done.

Father-dagon spent a few bucks yesterday, as you say. Belt buckles, plastic dinosaurs and Space Gamer magazines... a couple of books, and $330 for the lizardman model. I was hoping he'd have run out of cash on Stormber's auctions by the time the Space Gamers same up, but he had kept some in reserve.

I wanted to buy one Sutherland auction, and was torn between the Nlyss miniatures and the cartoon panels finishing in a couple of days. Eventually I decided on the miniatures, only because I suspected the cartoon might go pretty high.

Regards

Mike

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:59 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Nah, it would be tough to pick up a chick sitting on a towel with a cartoon dragon imprinted on it.

as opposed to sitting in your web I suppose, Frank...? :P
Q1...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:42 pm 

mdr003 wrote: I was surprised that there wasn't more winners from the forums... Burntwire and Harami scored a belt buckle each, Burnie picked up a couple of other items, and Deadlord scored a bargain on the Phil Barker book.

Personally, I am more of an Elmore fan so you can bet your bottom dollar that if any of his originals get listed I will be in there .

It was nice to see that even with all his winging about zero bidders Frank was still able to buy something ...

M.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:50 am 

Yes, luckily no zero bidders seemed to be interested in the Barker book, otherwise it might have gone for $50+.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:11 am 

Paul---

Do you have any plans to put together a report/final tally on the auctions, once they're all complete?  I think the rpg community at large would be interested to know how we all came together to support Dave and his family in their time of need.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:39 am 

Howdy Allan,

grodog wrote:Paul---

Do you have any plans to put together a report/final tally on the auctions, once they're all complete?  I think the rpg community at large would be interested to know how we all came together to support Dave and his family in their time of need.

Well since anyone can figure it out by adding up the end totals I don't see a problem with sharing that. I'll ask Dave's sister. For now, let's just say it was a very large sum  8O

When I initially saw the stuff on Trudy's dining room table I said $5,000. Then, so as not to get her hopes up I said $3,000 was more conservative estimate. She actually, threw away Dave's belt buckle. I made her dig it out of the trash :D Who would have thought the DMG 1st print would go for $561 or the PH for $511.

A few more are ending tonight and I still have a few more items to put up. Trudy is getting a box of stuff from Dave and it will all go up together. You folks will be the first to know.

Anyhow, back to work - I have a lot of packing, invoicing, and shipping to get done.

Good luck for everyone bidding tonight.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:33 am 

Egg of Coot wrote:Hello all,

Maybe once the auctions have finished, the Acaeum community can show its appreciation for Dave by making a charitable donation (the American Diabeties Association(?) - he's diabetic isn't he?) in his name or something.  Possibly with a letter being sent to him with a list of those people he influenced in a positive way.  I wouldn't want Dave's last interaction with the gaming community to be limited to watching us fight over his things.

Would anyone be interested in such a venture?

I thought I did that with you guys about four or five months ago!  I sent him a letter with the printout of all your statements, as well as a bunch of models to keep him busy and help him rehabilitate his motor skills.

He is pretty far gone, guys.  Acute alcoholism, with all the attendant miseries that implies, has just about done him in.  He has considered a hospice to take care of him until he passes on.   I hope he is doing better, but it's just a matter of time.

For him, this is all in the past, and an unhappy past, at that.  Not everyone's life turns out well, or even for the best, so buy all you like and every time you look at it on the shelf, remember whose it was.  That's probably the best thing you can do.  There, but for the Grace of God, go you....

BTW, back in 1997, I signed and gave him a couple of books I'd written in the early '90s for a Seattle Star Trek club.  Looks like they made it up there with the rest of the items.....

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5920944785

Regards,

Cent

PreviousNext