How Much for Frpm the Ashes and GreyHawk Wars
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:22 pm 

I'm a Greyhawk fan more than a "proper" collector. :)

These don't seem to come up on ebay all that often and I haven't seen any prices here on the Acaeum.  How much do these sets go for?

Thanks

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:42 pm 

I wouldn't pay much more than $30 for a NM copy of "From the Ashes". The one currently at eBay is way overpriced IMHO. "Wars" is cheaper, you'll get one in collectable condition for $20.

Shrinkwrap adds $10 to $15 on both boxes.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:04 pm 

Greyhawk Wars is not worth owning, unless you're a completist.  I'd assign it a value of $15-20.

From the Ashes includes lots of exclusive material for the post-war Flanaess.  If you're a Gygax purist, it's crap, and you should derive all of your info from the later Gord books.  If you like Sargent-era Greyhawk, it's an excellent set that forms a crucial bridge between classic Oerth and the current setting.  It runs for about $50.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:38 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:Greyhawk Wars is not worth owning, unless you're a completist.  I'd assign it a value of $15-20.

From the Ashes includes lots of exclusive material for the post-war Flanaess.  If you're a Gygax purist, it's crap, and you should derive all of your info from the later Gord books.  If you like Sargent-era Greyhawk, it's an excellent set that forms a crucial bridge between classic Oerth and the current setting.  It runs for about $50.

I agree about "Greyhawk Worse".

I know darkseraphim is an expert reseller, but I still think $50 is way too much for "From the Ashes". True, Titan Games and Hit Point have it around $85,  but the ten last I monitored on eBay sold for less than $40, sometime less than $25.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:36 pm 

Wars USED to go for $50+. Don't know about it now.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:52 pm 

I actually liked the "From the Ashes" set, when I bought it new many years ago.  Nostagia aside, there's no way in any of the hells I'd buy it for $50.  Maybe $20.  Probably not.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:03 pm 

I still pay a fair amount of attention to GH items, and I still see FtA go for anywhere from $40 to $65 pretty regularly, just for complete and in EX condition:  SW can certainly go higher.  

Wars is really hit and miss---you can probably get a set for $20-30, but if you want unpunched and/or shrink, the sets can definitely reach into the $40-50 range as well.  Greyhawk fans are just so hard to predict when it comes to these sets....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:53 am 

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm mainly a Gygax loyalist but want to get these two to pad out my collection.  Will probably hold fire until I can pick them up more cheaply.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:40 am 

grodog wrote:I still pay a fair amount of attention to GH items, and I still see FtA go for anywhere from $40 to $65 pretty regularly, just for complete and in EX condition:  SW can certainly go higher.  

Wars is really hit and miss---you can probably get a set for $20-30, but if you want unpunched and/or shrink, the sets can definitely reach into the $40-50 range as well.  Greyhawk fans are just so hard to predict when it comes to these sets....

grodog is of course correct, my earlier post was "deimos the player" speaking, not "deimos the collector".  I generally don't collect the "newer" stuff at all. (If I was after this one, I'd hold out for a cheap battered copy, since I'd want to leaf through it many times.)

Since this is stuff that was published well after I began playing, my natural instinct is to assume it's not particularly valuable or rare...anyone else suffer from this affliction?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:26 pm 

Never had Greyhawk Wars, but I did have From The Ashes when I had 2d Edition stuff.  The copy I had sold for $35.  The cover was a bit smooshed, but it still sold.

Given that it's 2E material, and Gygax had nothing to do with it, anything above $30 is a bit too much.