dissatisfied buyer - advice sought!
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:01 pm 

Hola folks---

I bid on and won a seemingly-nice copy of Role Aids'  Tower of Magicks by Bill Fawcett (sequel to Beastmaker Mountain).  Auction's at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5913010838

The seller didn't state that some of the illustrations were colored in with magic marker, nor did I ask (alas); to be clear, I didn't ask the seller anything about the condition.  He's got good feedback, so I figure I should approach him about a refund.  

Is that reasonable, or am I at fault for being a bozo and forgetting to ask about condition?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:06 pm 

Grodog,
I feel for you man.  Been in that situation before.  Mine was with the Cloudland module (cannot remember the publisher).  When I received it in the mail, 90% of the module was highlighted and the maps had pencil notations all overthem.   :evil:   (seriously what purpose does that much highlighting serve, it is counter productive).

But I just took it in the chin because like you:
1) I didn't ask any questions and
2) I really didn't pay all that much.

I didn't bother with the refund but if you feel like you can get the refund go for it.

BTW, here is a link to some level-headed advice from the Acaeum crew:
about940.html

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:09 pm 

Hey Allan, how is sunny California?

In looking at the auction he certainly didn't state a description so you should have asked (note: I have been there and done the same).  However, there is probably no harm in asking but given the amount and the likehood that you will pay shipping and relisting costs I would put it down to experience.

Cheers

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:07 pm 

I am seeing more and more of this. Even when there is description, the sellers are leaving out "minor" things like highlighting, writing, etc. I mostly see this when purchasing module lots. Several items will be described as "excellent condition" and it turns out all the handouts are either separated or just plain missing, pictures have been colored, maps have writing all over them, on and on.

I have gone back to emailing and asking them to check for those type of detractions. If they don't reply, I don't purchase. Even at the risk of missing a good deal.

This goes back to a point I made on a string several months ago. I think, and maybe its just me, that the overall quality of d&d products - and I mean physical condition - is rapidly declining. It has taken me almost a year to grab a near mint b6 with the cutouts still in place!

With the popularity of of the rarer and lesser known items skyrocketing, it is no wonder we are seeing people list stuff with serious detractions, but they somehow overlook them in the description. I hate that. Describe the damn thing accurately. How hard is it to tell someone the item has been colored, or pages have been separated, or maybe it is incomplete. But no, we get "excellent" condition! And buyer beware is the mantra...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:18 pm 

A seller is responsible for listing defects. Plain and simple. I would be nice about it, but IMHO he is of course responsible. I'm sure it's another case of the typical eBay seller who views it as a way to get rid of stuff they don't want and get some cash out of it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:22 pm 

Technically, he's got you.  It a Tower of Magiks, just like it says - complete with no impairment to functionality/usability - he didn't say a single word about quality.

Now obviously, any kind of halfway responsible seller notes these kind of things, but it's up to him if he wants to be responsible & respectable or a sloppy jerk.

You can try bringing it up and see what happens.  And I certainly wouldn't feel bad about giving a negative and describing his inability to properly identify item flaws if he's rude about it.

(Like bb, I try to make a point to ask if there's no description - no response, no bid.  But if the auction is about to end really soon, sometimes I make the assumption that they're on the up and up.)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:31 am 

Yeah, I normally ask lots of questions for descriptions, but I just missed it this time around.  

At least the illos are colored well and don't bleed through to the back of the page ;-)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:54 pm 

Just to let you all know how it went, the seller did offer to refund my money, though I would have to ship the book back at my expense.  I'm debating whether that's worth the effort at this point....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:55 am 

grodog wrote:Just to let you all know how it went, the seller did offer to refund my money, though I would have to ship the book back at my expense.  I'm debating whether that's worth the effort at this point....

Well, after some additional discussion the seller has agreed to a 100% refund, module costs plus S&H.

So, my follow-up question is, how do I handle feedback on this.  I was dissatisfied with the initial transaction, but am quite pleased with the overall outcome---I'm inclined to leave positive feedback once the refund is complete, but to mention that I wasn't initially happy/etc.  Does that sound like it's too much behind-the-scenes info for the feedback???

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:08 am 

Since the overall result was good I would suggest positive feedback.  Leave as much detail as you can within the limited space.

I would be curious to know how much people really read the text associated with feedback.  I certainly read very few of the positive and focus rather on the negative and neutral entries.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:40 am 

I'd just leave positive feedback and not mention anything bad. In the end, you got what you were looking for (sort of). No need to bash him.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:47 am 

After a bad item -- but 100% refund -- I left "Honest merchant, Satisfied Customer".  They then left me positive feedback.
Just my 2ยข

BigSister

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:20 am 

Thanks everyone :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style