Displaying
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:18 pm 

Does anyone here display rare items, or do they just sit on a shelf? I pin up the more valuable ones. I have a nice display of the Holy Trinity right behind my head when I'm at the computer(s). Kind of looks like a halo.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:39 pm 

I've got some of my nicer boxed stuff in a bookshelf/entertainment center in the basement (its fully finished and a walk-out) and my nongaming friends sometimes check them out, but that's about it.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:54 pm 

when I'm at the computer(s). Kind of looks like a halo.

HAHA :lol:

Deadlord with a Halo!

That needs a picture!

(BTW.. What's the holy trinity in D&D collecting?)

As for displaying.. No.  2 little children under 5.. displaying my rare items defines the term 'attractive nuisance' and they'd get at the stuff.

I've tried decoying them with spare B2s and X1s but all that did is identify modules as something to 'color' (heh.. I think I can almost here all your butts puckering at the thought !)

So, they are in the office, in comics boxes, on a shelf, in the closet.

I pull them out for company and those who might have a clue about what they are.  And by 'rare' stuff I mean my early monos and my 1st print woodgrain.

95% of my friends just think that collecting is weird anyway.  My wife was ECSTATIC when I sold one of my 3 copies of Talisman last week.

My GOAL would be (when I have older kids and a bigger office space) would be to set up a display that looks like a game table but hanging on the wall.  Picture character sheets, a map, some miniatures, DM screen etc laid out as if you could pull it off the wall and play it... THEN, around the outside like a frame the 'classic progression' (as I see it):

B1A1A2A3A4G1G2G3D1D2Q1 with S1,S2,S3 and T1-4 in the corners.

... BTW.. I'll never do this... but it's something I'd like to do.

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:13 am 

The Holy Trinity:

Lost Tamoachan

Ghost Tower of Inverness

Lost Tsojconth

I was going to make another one too, Wee warriors one, with PoVQ, Dwarven Glory and Misty Isles. Kind of like the Anti-TSR. However, I am picking up a phenomenal display case from my uncle's estate this weekend, so if I win the battle with the evil Type VI demon that I am married to, in go the modules instead of her carnival glass.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:06 pm 

Hey Deadlord/All,

You said you pinned stuffed up--what about fading??  I've been concerned about this because I'd like to display stuff, but I had a nasty surprise with some items I had put away in pristine condition on a shelf, untouched for years.  When I went to look at them I found that they had faded somewhat and that there was yellowing of the paper  :( .

How do you avoid yellowing and fading without locking your stuff in trunks and never looking at them???

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:10 pm 

Haven't thought about it. I'm not sure I care, though. I have no intentions of parting with anything, and if I can't enjoy it, what is the point in having it?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:12 pm 

Bag, board, and keep them out of direct sunlight. We completely covered the windows in our collection room and put bookshelves in front of them.

-Burnt

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:31 pm 

For fading, watch out for flourescent bulbs as well. I used to work in a store where some sundries (brooms, detergent boxes, and so on) could sit for some period of time. It only took 6-8 months for noticeable fading to appear, and there was no sunlight at the back of the store.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:02 am 

As Jon will be able to attest if we ever manage to get together, most of my D&D/etc. books are on several bookshelves in the "Gamer Pit" section of our L-shaped living room.  They're there, but not really on display per se....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:09 am 

Ha!  I am begining to doubt you even exist.

I'm beginning to believe you're a sockpuppet created by Frank to make me THINK that there's someone who lives near me on the board.

I'm on to you pal!  I've noticed I've never seen you and Frank in the same room, HAVE I!? (come to think of it, I've never seen you nor Frank in ANY room!)

I have your address.  I may just stop by and knock.  I'm willing to bet all I'll find is a pile of mail and a phone answering machine set up to autoforward to New Hampshire. :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:38 am 

He's on to us, Grodog....I mean Frank.....I mean me...... I mean......I...... my head hurts...... make the bad man go away........

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:16 pm 

So, Frank, just who is this GamesGuy anyway?  I thought we were chatting with Jon Oakes, noted D&D collector.  Perhaps HE's the bot, and it's all a trick by the mi-go to try to snag our juicy items????

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:46 pm 

He seems likeable enough, albeit weird. California does that to people. I think it is something in the water.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:59 pm 

Hello all,

Just took ownership of my newly built townhouse today, and can't wait to start working on my "gaming dungeon".  

First step:  Must win the auction on the yellow metal sign on ebay that says "Minotaur Xing" and post it on the door that leads into my finished basement...aka "gaming dungeon"

I've bought some black shelves that have a "lip" on the edge, and go right into the wall.  I picked them up on ebay at a fraction of the cost of the ones from Crate and Barrel.

I will display my best modules in mylar sleeves away from direct light, resting on the shelves.  Others will be on ledges, bookshelves, etc.  using wooden and plastic "tripod" like holders that I've picked up for other small collectibles and from Ikea.

I just got back from GenCon where I picked up lots of free artwork, as well as some signed prints from the artist who did the brown pencil drawings between chapters in the 3.5 Ed PH and DMG.  I'll be displaying these next to my modules for complete RPG OVERLOAD!!!!

Any suggestions from others?  Thanks in advance.

Ben "gamer and newbie collector" Waxman :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:05 am 

So, Frank, just who is this GamesGuy anyway? I thought we were chatting with Jon Oakes, noted D&D collector. Perhaps HE's the bot, and it's all a trick by the mi-go to try to snag our juicy items????

The REALITY is that we're all figments of Frank's multiple personalities and don't actually exist and he just doesn't know it.

The Acaeum is like Fight Club only Geekier and with more personalities.

Hmm... I did actually just get a new waterfilter... I may have to check the Mescaline filter to make sure it's set correctly.

-JonGamesGuy

P.S. Did I ever tell  the story about why I changed my handle?  I told F-Foot but don't remember if I told anyone else.  Kinda strange.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:29 am 

Missed you at GenCon benwax---perhaps next year :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:51 am 

Count on it Grodog~~!!!!

I was so busy getting pulped by Goodman Games' Devil Lich tournament that I had very little time to search the dealers area.  I will be there next year, and would love to meet with you and the crew.

Stay well homeboy, and see you around!

BenWax  :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:42 am 

Jon, you are so far from the truth. I know every one of my personalities. You are my free-spirited side, Grodog is my rational side, Ralf is my conscience, and Burnie is.....well.... everyone has their faults.
No, you never told us about the change. Hmmmm...... Are YOU Game Emporium, prepping up for metamorphosis?
You really need to stop by sometime when your up in Cow Hampshire.

Next