Appraising miniatures painted by DCSIII
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:01 pm 

This is a pair of Wind Djinn painted by David Sutherland III.  They are from Dragontooth Miniatures.

Image:Dragontooth - Demons3.jpg - Lost Minis Wiki

Can anyone please help me appraise them?  I've had them for a while.  Are they uncommon?

Regards,

Steve

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:19 pm 

The miniatures themselves aren't terribly rare - I'd call them uncommon, although they do pop up on eBay from time to time. The paint jobs are nice, but today's painters are capable of amazing work. So you are looking for DCS fans who enjoy old-school paintjobs on old-school miniatures.

Are the minis signed by DCS? Anything resembling a signature or initials on the bottom of the wood (?) base? Any provenance?

I'd start them at $10-15 dollars and see where they go. You could start them higher (say at $20-25) but you might not attract as many bidders. Hard to tell - the minis market can be pretty fickle.

Hope that helps!

Tom

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:32 pm 

Nah.  At $10-15 each, it's not worth the effort.  I think I will dust them off, then find a spot in the briefcase foam mount and stow them.

I have others, as well - lizard dudes mounted on some really neat-looking saurian guys that look like giant iguanas with horns.  Yeah, stow them all.  

I have miniatures that Dave sculpted that never got issued.  They never existed as more than two dozen nice-looking lead figs and some pics in a long-forgotten magazine.  But I am gonna take the long view.

Hell, I'm 53 years old.  By the time the burgers and the bad knees take their toll and I croak at what, 67?  It will be 2027.  In another 14 years not many alive will even remember who Sutherland was.  Or they'll all be in rest homes themselves, waiting to croak.

That's when my son will open the briefcases.  Two of them.  One is a three-layer cake that's been accumulating since the late 1970s, the other was one I started when I got all those miniatures from David in 1997.  I will leave my son a note detailing the contents in case he cares what happens to them.  He'll be 32 then, with a wife and kids of his own.  Who knows what he'll think is important?  

Maybe they'll be worth something then - and he'll need the money.

Maybe they'll be worth nothing, but he'll use them to teach his kids how to roleplay.  That would be cool.

Maybe they'll wind up on a Goodwill shelf... or a landfill.  Some lucky kid will pop some tags and get a monster for his collection!  

Steve

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:30 am 

Steve, I think they are worth more than $10-$15 each - that was only one suggested starting price, aimed at attracting more bidders.

If you are looking to sell the collection now, you should take of pic of the collection as a whole, and then one of each mini. Stick them on a photo sharing site (Snapfish, Photobucket, Pinterest, etc) and post a link here. The miniature folks here could then provide some input for you.

Nothing wrong with saving them for the kids - just make sure you let them know to check with the good folks at The Acaeum before they send them to the thrift shop or landfill (gasp)!!!

I know I would love to add a DCS painted mini to my collection, since I am a fan of his and of miniatures in general.

Tom

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:39 am 

I think your problem would be provenance.  With provenance, I bet you are looking at a few hundred dollars for these.  Without, who knows?  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:22 am 

Centurion13 wrote in Appraising miniatures painted by DCSIII:I have others, as well - lizard dudes mounted on some really neat-looking saurian guys that look like giant iguanas with horns.  Yeah, stow them all.  

Are these ones Dragontooth Saurians? Some pics: Saurians (Dragontooth) and Holmes' Saurians

If so, could you post a picture of Dave's figures?

The Dragontooth Giant Iguana and Sutherland's Giant Lizard in the Holmes Basic rulebook are similar looking, and each has a lizardman rider, so I was wondering if there was any connection. Each was available in 1977, and I'm not sure which came first. So it'd be interesting to find out that he actually owned these minis.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:39 pm 

They could also be the DT Amphibeans: Image:Dragontooth - Amphibeans1.jpg - Lost Minis Wiki

Hopefully Steve will post some pics and we can sort this one out.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:51 pm 

These guys have been sitting on a shelf in the garage - or the spare bedroom - for sixteen years.  I never boxed or foam-mounted them for storage and now I remember why.  Plenty of dust and some dirt, but I don't smoke inside the house.  

Steve

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:23 pm 

Thanks for the pics, Steve!

They are DT Saurians (Image:Dragontooth - Saurian2.jpg - Lost Minis Wiki) and they have been heavily modified with the additions of horns and accessories.

In the close-up pics, it's obvious the first one (with the red javelin quiver) is an homage to the illustration on Page 3 of the Holmes blue book.

They are very cool pieces, for sure. The minis themselves would be in the uncommon to rare range, and the coolness factor is right up there because they are painted by DCS. Again, the paint jobs are nice, solid work, but not to the same level that's common today.

Hard to put a value on them, though, especially without provenance. If you do have provenance or if the minis bear DCS's initials, that would help tremendously.

You could sell them individually or as a group, although I think you could get more individually. Starting price? I'd say $30 to $50 individually, $100-120 as a group. DT collectors and DCS collectors could definitely make bidding interesting. With provenance, you could start higher if so inclined.

Either way, I know I would be interested.

Please post more pics of your collection when you have a chance.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:46 am 

Holy cow, those are awesome! Toll House is correct, the first one (red javelin with skull) is totally like the Holmes lizard - the large horn being the main exception.

If you could take a picture of this one in this same profile pose, I would greatly appreciate it:

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:47 am 

Image[/quote]

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:57 am 

Badmike wrote in Appraising miniatures painted by DCSIII:I think your problem would be provenance.  With provenance, I bet you are looking at a few hundred dollars for these.  Without, who knows?  

Mike B.

Provenance?  You mean signed, like that?  Nah.  No signatures, just my word for it.  I have enough details to the story (and enough stuff of David's signed personal stuff already sold) and plenty of books in my bookcase (once his) with his name on the inside, and the commission work he did for me, that I can be considered to have some credibility.  He told me he painted them himself, and they do look like the few other painted pieces.  He always did love to use that drafting pen, and you can see it here on the blue guy's pinstripes.

Steve

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:49 pm 

Thanks, Centurion!  :salut:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:02 pm 

TollHouseGolem bought the customized Saurian minis & has a post at his blog The Lead Dragon with lots more photos of them:

David Sutherland's Dragontooth Saurians

I wrote one as well today, mostly just to point people over to his blog:

DCSIII Customized Saurians

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:50 pm 

Hi Zenopus,

Thanks for pointing people to my post - the more folks who get to see them, the better.

Intrigued by your other two posts on your blog, I decided to contact Tom Loback (Mr. Dragontooth) to see if he could shed any light on the subject. Here is his reply, which I also posted on your Holmes' Saurians entry:

Hi Tom,

How kind of you to remember. The Saurian Mounted Champion was sculpted by Steve Tofano and added to the Saurian & Amphibian line which I created and for which I did most of the sculpting. As I recall, Steve came up with the idea for the piece himself and the line drawing in Dragon Magazine came much later and was based on Steve's piece - I believe the editor at the time actually asked if that was ok with me. I don't recall who did the drawing in the mag, but we certainly had almost all our pieces done in line drawings by Mike Gilbert in our catalogs when first released.
Hope this edifies somewhat.

Best, Tom Loback