JG Modules/Adventures: Level Guide
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:45 pm 

PLEASE add to this list as you can; any contributions would be appreciated by all of us Judges Guild fans.

This idea was discussed in another thread.
Linked here:

viewtopic.php?t=9825

The general idea is to post what Character Level various Judges Guild Adventure Modules and Scenarios are intended for.
Most of the Judges Guild Products do not state what Character Level the adventure is for, but even if they do not, they do give us clues and some even spell it out for us, though many times that information is stated inside the books.
Eventually, I think we can (as a community) create a master list so that we wont have to guess or ask other members this question hundreds of times.

I think this is an excellent project that would benefit all of our members who are RPG Fans in general.
And more particularly a master list would be of great help to the fans of Judges Guild, who play D&D/AD&D, Traveller, Runequest and Tunnels and Trolls.

Modron (34)
This is more of an accessory/supplement than an adventure module.
The first three printings include a book with 2 seperate maps (Large Judges Map/Small Players Map); the 4th print has the maps inside the book.
This Supplement (with the Maps) provides detailed data for the City of Modron and many of the buildings (including who is in them).
Also it contains encounter tables for Sea creatures, along with details of underwater areas near the port of Modron.

Handy to have for the Judge to use as a Sea Port and for a base for underwater scenarios.
The book also includes details of how to run an underwater adventure.
However, if you run the underwater adventures, then the PCs would need to be mid level at least with some way to breath underwater for extended periods of time.

Modron is (as stated above) a port city at the mouth of the Roglaroon Estuary.
It is also located just outside the City State, and as such Modron is a great place for the judges/players to use as a base.

Restormel (700)
This is a low level adventure Module and a good one too.
Probably 2nd-3rd level PCs (4-7 total PCs), or even starting PCs if you lower the number of creatures somewhat.
This one also includes GOBS of data about the town the PCs start from.
A single HUGE hex map, which details three of the Tower levels and the area around the town of Restormel as well.
Yes, the JG sub web lists indicates this one has 2 maps, but I think it must mean ONE double sided map. (*See pictures below)
In truth though; the Map is really Four maps each being 17" x 24" in Size (Both Maps on a single side adding up to twice that size total, making this a BIG Map at about 34" x 24").
On the side of a Hill just North west of town lies the Ruined Fort and under the Fort lies the dungeon, which is where the Lord hopes the PCs will go and defeat whatever creatures are killing livestock and farmers.
Directly North of town lies the Keep with the Tower (The outside walls are down, but the buildings are occupied by the Lord and his people).
With an imaginative Judge, this module could be a base for the PCs for months of adventures.

* Four Maps, two sides, but just one really BIG sheet...
The First Photo shows what I call side A, with the Restormel area map (including the Village, Ruins and the occupied Fort/Tower) and the other side shows level one of the Tower.
Being two seperate maps on one side of the sheet.

The Second Photo shows what I call side B, with Levels 2 and 3 of the Tower.
Again, two seperate maps on one side of the sheet.

Glory Hole Dwarven Mine (800)
High Level Adventure, with 4 characters at 15th to 18th Levels or higher.
The Book recommends no less than 50 to 60 Character levels total.

The Dungeoneer (73)
This book is a compilation of Dungeoneer Magazine Issues 1-6 and can be found fairly cheap.
Includes new monsters that are featured in some of the adventures listed below.

Page 51: F'Chelrak's Tomb
Paul Jaquays
Four pages with map of a tomb that was just lying around waiting to be pillaged.
This one is very deadly and not for low level Characters.

Page 54: The Fabled Garden of Merlin
Merle Davenport
4-1/2 pages with map. Not for the inexperienced Player. This one is probably intended for Mid Level PCs.
More of a mind bender than a dungeon delve. Some fighting will be needed if you do some things incorrectly.
One such mistake could bring the PC face to face with a Type IIII Demon and a Carrion Crawler.
You must use common sense, have a bit of luck and do a lot of out-of-the-box thinking just to survive.

Page 58: Borshak's Lair.
Paul Jaquays, Mark Hendricks, Randy Cox, Dave Marby
7 pages with 29 room map.
If taken separately from Night of the Walking Wet (See below), this can be a first level mini-adventure (Dungeon Crawl) with Orcs/Goblins galore in a Lair.
This one can also be tied to Night of the Walking Wet (See below) and also F'Chelrak's Tomb (see above).

Page 65: The Pharaoh's Tomb
Jim Ward
2-1/2 pages with map.
Fairly high level with monsters and traps.

Page 67: Night of the Walking Wet
Paul Jaquays, Randy Cox, Tamara Wieland
13 pages with several maps/charts.
This one can be a large scenario for high level PCs and can include Borshak's Lair and F'Cherlak's Tomb.
Wilderness, Swamp, Castle, Lair: This adventure features some un-dead that were newly created for this adventure.

Dragon's Hall  (630)
This is a low level adventure for 1-4 players of 2nd to 4th level.
It is designed almost exactly like the Tunnels and Trolls Solo Adventures, but it can be revised (with some effort) by the Judge to use as a regular dungeon crawl.
Many think this one is horrid, I have not run it or run through it as a solo, so I do not know how it might play out at the tables.
But it reads just fine (IMO).
Perhaps those folks simply do not like, or do not follow the flip book Solo Dungeon styles well (Like Tunnles and Trolls solo adventures by Flying Buffalo) ...

A few thoughts:
The description page states that incautious Players will not last long and that 1st to 2nd level PCs will often be overmatched.
No magic Items are allowed; In the Judges Notes for this one it states all in caps that NO MAGIC ITEMS MAY BE BROUGHT INTO THIS DUNGEON.
Explaining further that Flaming Oil and Holy Water do work.
This is also a good puzzle dungeon and there are traps and one-way halls and other thinking encounters for the players to figure out.

Survival of the Fittest  (95)
I do not have a copy, but Dragon's Hall makes mention that it too is a low level adventure.
I think this is also a Solo Dungeon similar in layout to a Tunnels and Trolls Solo.
This is a link to a map provided by a member (I think) as apparently the book did not include a map, nor a detailed description of the areas/encounters shown by the map.
http://www.acaeum.com/jg/ModPhotos/Surv ... stMap.html

UPDATE:
I now have a second print of this book.
That printing of this book does include the map at the back of the book.
Apparently only the first print does not have a map.
The book is indeed one that CAN be run as a Solo adventure, but the book also offers suggestions for running it as a party adventure by the Judge.

Heroic Expeditions (820)
This is a compilation book with several separate scenarios of varying levels.

Spear of Darkness
The Book does not state, but I think 4th-5th Level PCs would be about right.
The two PCs are members of an Orc Tribe (they can be Half-Orc PCs) who are on a quest to recover a long lost tribal relic, named the Spear of Darkness, and return it to the Orcish Tribe.
The Spear was stolen by a large war party consisting of Dwarves, Gnomes and Elves; during that raid the Orc Tribe was demolished and almost wiped out.
It is up to Brutus and Bluto to return the Spear and give hope for the tribe future.
Whoever brings the Spear back will no doubt be the new leader of the tribe.

Quest for the Book of Ancestry.
Set up for two halfling PCs. A Thief (5th Level) and a Fighter (4th Level) are the Pre-Gen PCs offered in the book, but your players could use similar level PCs, and the PCs Class is less important than Race (obviously).
A book was stolen from the halfling tribe by Goblins of the Blood-Drinkers Tribe.
Plenty of Wilderlands wondering and a Goblin Cave complex are the encounters for this one.

The book also includes one Solo for a 12th level PC.
Caves of Despair (The text Recommends that the Judge either create his own, or use the maps and encounters from the Book Quest for this one)

The Tower of Indomitable Circumstance (680)
Low level beginning scenario for players and Judges both.
Can be used as a solo for a more powerful single PC.
Seven Levels above ground and one dungeon level.
Partly abandoned Mages Tower.
The Mage (Math is his name) who once occupied the Semi-Abandoned Tower is now a Demi-God and is seeking more worshipers to help him climb the ladder to true godhood.
Includes maps of every level of the Tower, and another map of the surrounding wilderness area.
The scenario also allows the Judge to toss out Math and the worshiper search aspects that the adventure calls for, making it more of a pure dungeon crawl deal.

Corsairs of Tallibar (910)
Low Level 1st-3rd level PCs.
Six Pre-Generated Characters are provided but the Players/Judge are not required to use them.
An Island adventure which includes plenty of Wilderness action, a lookout station, a hermits hut, a not quite empty Fortress and a nice dungeon crawl as well.
Starting in the City of Qylondak (or another of Judges choosing as long as it is a Port City) the adventures learn of a legendary Island once controlled by the Corsairs (Pirates) of Tallibar.
You could also simply start on the Island…
What manner of riches can be found on this long lost Island; if the Characters can survive the creatures that now occupy the Island and the Fortress?

The Illhiedrin Book (750)

This 32 page module (28 pages actually, if not counting useless cover pages) is designed for use with low level Characters and includes a Wilderness Map, Dungeon Maps, Town Map, Two Towers detailed Maps, stats of Inhabitants, plus a Lost Crypt.

An adventure for Low Level Player Characters.
A Cleric is recommended by not required.
The book does not state how many PCs should be in the group, but a standard sized PC group would be fine (4-7 PCs all first level).
Smaller groups and even a single PC could make it too, as there are plenty of NPC's in the town that could be hired (or enticed) to join the group.
Larger groups or higher level PC's could also do fine, although the Judge would need to upgrade stats for NPCs/Monsters and/or add to the number of creatures for some encounters.

Alcastra (a 12th level Wizardess) seeks to hire the PCs to find a long lost Magical Tome (Book) for her.
She could do it herself of course, but she does not have the time, and she is willing to pay the PCs well to find and return the book to her.
Or at least find the exact location of the Tower where the book is thought to be located.
The book has been lost for 350 years, and the book is rumored to be inside a wizards tower, but no one knows the exact location of that tower, only rumors.

Alcastra will give the group a map to a Temple where the PCs can investigate further.
She adds that the Priests at the Temple should know more.
She will give the PC's some supplies, and perhaps even an advance in payment to help them gain other needed supplies (Such as horses, and if needed NPC hirelings).

In the town, the PCs can find help, information (including more rumors) and more supplies, including horses (They will need them).
They will also attract the attention of other persons/groups who are also looking for the book. (Don't tell the PCs that)

One town, Two Towers, One Tomb, Wilderness adventures, a new type of creature to defeat, Orcs galore (and other low level monsters), good NPCs and bad NPCs, some of whom will help and some of whom will hurt and some of them might do neither or both, the dungeons include some traps and puzzles to try to solve as well.
Town is a small sized village (about 200 folks) with some areas detailed (Tavern/Inn, Alcastra's Tower, Livery Stable) enough for plenty of game play.
Both Towers, the Tomb, and the Temple include maps and sketches of every level and room, with encounters detailed.
All encounters, area details, NPCs stats, monster stats and Maps are included inside the book.
No loose maps to keep track of.

I have read this one through and found it to be a really nice module for Fantasy (D&D) gaming.
Plenty of details on the NPCs and the maps are well made and the mission for the PCs is well laid out and plausible (unlike many modern adventures).
The story and main monster are well done, and the NPC's (good and bad NPCs) also add a good amount of fun to the overall adventure.

I have a PDF of a booklet that is related to the City State of the Invincible Overlord.
Contains 4 mini-adventures situated in and around the City State.
The Article was first published in Issue 7 of Pegasus Magazine Pages 33-62.
The article's Mini-Adventures all include a detailed back story, maps and room descriptions along with several sketches.
The PDF was offered through Necromancers Judges Guild Web Site for a long time, but the sites links are (Mostly) no longer working.
If you want the PDF send me a PM, or say so here.
Free..... of course.

(See scan below of cover sheet)

"City State Campaign Installment - 4 Mini-Adventures"
Copyright 1982 by Judges Guild

Aelel's Tutoring Service: by Charles Farnum
Starting Players with 1st level PCs.
This is a program set up by a 10th LVL FTR/5th LVL Mage, wherein he trains low Level PCs for further advancement (usually one PC at a time  for starters).
He does this as a way to utilise trusted PCs for missions he gives them later on under contract.
Aelel states to the PCs that he can help him/her to advance up to LVL 6 for a small fee of only 1000 GP.
They would have to join his group of adventurers and if they agree to join the group they must first pass a Test of his design.
PCs must go through a dungeon and not only survive, but (Hopefully) do so without killing Aelel's dungeon monsters.
They are expensive to replace…
Aelel is located in a one-room house on Water-Rat Road in the City State of the Invincible Overlord.
Underneath the one-room office is a 16 room dungeon fully mapped out.
Low-level monsters with a few simple traps and some moderately easy puzzles to solve.

The Tower of Mabeleck: by Bill Prouty
Levels 3-6 experienced player's (Novice Player's would have a tough time in this one)
The Ruined Tower of "Mabeleck the Mad" has been abandoned for 150 years.
Supposedly the Mad Mage died in a huge fireball that went out of control, or perhaps the Evil he served finally destroyed him.
A legend speaks of a rare gem that lies within the bowels of the tower and other stories state the gem is cursed, as is the Tower.
3 Levels with monsters (Mostly well trained Orcs) and traps.
There is a curse on the gem and a strange puzzle at the end will remove the curse if done correctly.

Kthenta's Dark Repose: by Conrad Heiney
Ghastly adventure for PCs of Level 4 through 10 (Depending on how many PCs).
Party is met by an Elf (A human in a bad disguise: The Judge is cautioned to allow NO Elves on the party, as they would surely see through it).
He tries to convinced  them to come with him to retrieve a large treasure horde from a hidden complex inside a huge tree.
Lord Kthenta was a Dark Elf Lord who was known to be aligned with Demon Lords.
Long story short, The Dark Elf Lord was involved in a small war with another Evil group (Orc's) and The Dark Elf Lord's side eventually lost and the tree complex is The Dark Elf Lord's burial chamber/tomb... more or less... and his treasure was buried with him.
The group goes into a HUGE (85' Diameter) petrified Oak Tree that is the entrance to a large underground complex.
Three levels approximately 14 separate rooms.
A couple of traps a few undead (Skeletons) and several Random encounters, that are either huge mosquitoes, or one Large Lizard (If not killed earlier).
Next to last encounter is the Spectre of Lord Kthenta and the Last encounter is a Minor Demon (Summoned by the Spectre of Lord Kthenta).

The Pyramid of Suberus: by Gregg Woodcock and Christopher Weaver
For five mixed class PCs of 4-5th Levels. (1-Cleric/1-Mage/the rest Ftrs, perhaps one Thief).
This Desert setting Pyramid Dungeon crawl with four levels that include minor and medium level undead (including some level 3 skeletons), a small dragon (4 HD) several deadly traps, puzzles and a greater undead critter (6 HD; The Death King) at the end.
This is a timed dungeon crawl and timing is critical to the adventures conclusion.
The party enters at Midnight….
The Players description allows the players to (perhaps) think the last encounter is with a Lich and the undead creature has two spell like abilities that might even encourage this line of thinking (Cold Ray and Doubt), but The Death King is not a Lich.
Once the Death King is destroyed he takes it all with him; Meaning the pyramid is completely destroyed within 30 seconds after its demise.
There is a teleportation doorway inside that last room and the PCs must leave quickly or die inside the falling pyramid.
They can each grab some treasure on the way out, but only so much and they must do so fast.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:56 am 

Fantastic start Gnat, I'll get the few I have out and take a look. Its already got me buying several mods already!  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 am 

Glad you replied I was starting to think no one had even noticed this thread. :lol:

Also glad you are looking at Judges Guild products as something worth acquiring.
Other than a few obvious exceptions such as Tegel Manor, Inferno, and City State of the Invincible Overlord, along with a few others; I have long thought gamers and even most collectors have undervalued Judges Guild products.

The contents of many Judges Guild items are (IMO) literally packed with excellent gaming material. Most are very detailed and I have found many of the set ups, adventure hooks and (at times) entire plots to be copied in later products to a great extent too.

I do agree that some Judges Guild products do tend to be fairly bad, but the majority of the stuff is well worth reading and using today.

Looking forward to your contributions as well as other members...  :wink:

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:26 pm 

A really nice thread. Very informative. Sadly, I do not have much JG stuff (Tarantis, Wilderlands of HF is all).

I hope others expand on this list. I'd really like to see CoT, DT, TM, ToB, etc., given some attention.

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:52 am 

The Maltese Clue (114)
This is a mid-level adventure.
It notes that it was originally designed as a tournament adventure, to explore the castle and the labyrinth below. The adventure would appear quite tongue in cheek, with Sam 'The Spade' Lonetree and companions trying to find the key to a powerful Wizards magical book. Notable NPCs are Casta & Balanca...

The designer notes, that in testing, no party reached the labyrinth in under 4 hours.

The 10 Pre-Gen characters listed at the back of the book range from 6th to 8th level.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:04 pm 

Dark Tower (88 )
Art and Module Design by: Paul Jaquays-1980, 70 pages.
Created and approved for use with AD&D

This is one awesome adventure.
Truly one of the very best that Judges Guild ever produced.
It will probably cost you a good bit of cash to get a copy though as this module is highly sought after and coveted by many old gamers and collectors.

An Ancient Evil has overtaken a once holy shrine. Thus, a sleepy mountain hamlet becomes a focal point for mysterious disappearances and even stranger legends of what lurks beneath the village.
    Would any group of adventurous souls dare to probe the facts that lie behind the myths, or seek to right ancient wrongs, rescue secreted artifacts, or . . . even attempt to exterminate the source of evil itself?
    This is no quest for the weak of spirit of strength: Beyond the cellars of Mitra's Fist lie strong allies and strange enemies, undead and undying, each seeking to involve the unwary in a titanic battle of good against evil, which can only end in destruction.

Created for 6-10 characters of 7th-11th level.
The players should be well versed in running high-level characters.
The PC Group would best be served if it includes a Thief, and at least one or more Clerics with a mixture of fighters and mages.
The PCs could be a group of good characters, an evil group, or a party with one or more Evil PCs in an otherwise neutral or even a good aligned group.

This adventure is basically about the battle between the Chaotic Evil worshipers of Set and the lawful Good followers of Mitra.
That said Clerics serving either one of those deities would enjoy additional bonuses in this adventure.
(The bonus abilities/spells are listed)

There are several artifacts to be found in the adventure.
Not necessarily to be found and used by the PCs, but it could happen that way.

There are two new types of NPCs in the adventure.
Lions of Mitra: 10 hit dice (d10)
Sons of Set: Chosen Son: 22 Hit Dice and Lesser Son: 15 Hit Dice

The Adventure begins either on the road to the village, or inside the Village of Mitra's Fist (a.k.a.: Mitra's Curse).
There are a couple of wilderness encounters that can be used (if needed) either before or after the village (between the village and the Dark Tower)
There are 19 detailed areas to investigate inside the village with NPCs and a few monsters (all the monsters are low level here).

The Village has been (mostly) taken over by brigands and Evil NPCs, most are worshiper's of Set.
The Village boasts a Small Manor, a merchants house, a trading house, an Inn, an abandoned tower (Not the Dark Tower) a shrine to Mitra (The Prefect of the Shrine of Mitra is befuddled and ignorant of the happenings in the Village, but he does possess an Artifact (Ring of Mitra)
There is also a wine shop, Tailors shop, Constabulary (run by a fighter who is a Worshiper of Set) and a few common houses and barracks buildings.

The Dark Tower includes over a dozen levels; some areas are semi-neutral (scattered throughout the two towers); another 6 levels are Mitra's Tower and 6 are Set's Tower (plus three pocket dimension areas).
PCs will face traps and puzzles and will battle many normal monsters and fantasy creatures' galore.
They will face Chosen Sons of Set, a Lich, Demons, and some Dragons…. And bunches of undead and high level Villains as well.

Do not expect to finish this one in a short time.
This thing is BIG…. And filled to the brim with encounters, some deadly and many not so much.

I suspect the New D20 Version of this module is close (in content) to the original, though I am sure the stats for creatures/NPCs are very differnt since it is a D20 conversion.
That said (even if for reading alone) the D20 version is (IMO) easily worth the less than $10 I see them sell for all the time on E-Bay.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 am 

Just passing through for fun on the front page, but are there any other JG mods that can be added, or if anyone has a complete list of their own maybe?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:19 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
I have a PDF of a booklet that is related to the City State of the Invincible Overlord.

The PDF was offered through Necromancers Judges Guild Web Site for a long time, but the sites links are (Mostly) no longer working.
If you want the PDF send me a PM, or say so here.
Free..... of course.

The Necromancer Games Judges Guild site is very much alive.  Here is a link to the downloads page:

http://www.necromancergames.com/judgesg ... loads.html

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:04 am 

House on Hangman's Hill  (670)

Author: Jon Mattson
Date: 1981, Pages: 32 (counting covers)
Approved for use with AD&D Rules

http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0670.html

This one is pretty tough to find and when you do expect to pay more than your ordinary Judges Guild Adventure Scenario.

First: the House was designed to fit inside or very close to an existing town, or Village, so no wilderness maps are included, and really not needed.
It is assumed the party will start in town or outside the front door of the house.
However; the house can be placed almost anywhere the Judge (DM) wants to put it.

Second: This is a straight forward Haunted House scenario and town encounters (Judges setup dependant of course) will let the players know this and can give some backstory for the house as well.
The forward indicates that the adventure is recommended for a well-balanced party of 6 - 3rd or 4th level characters.
Lower level PCs should do fine if run by experience intelligent players.

Third: this is NOT a hack and slay adventure... quick thinking might be the players best chance to survive.
Not everything in this adventure was meant to be attacked, but the items/monsters will all oblige if the PCs want them to do so.

There are plenty of covered/concealed traps, wanderings monsters are not very common, but certainly possible and some of them are outdoors at the start of the adventure.
(and/or between rest periods if they go back to town)

Some advanced prep work by the Judge (DM) is needed especially for the Wondering Monster tables (Monsters listed with no stats)
There are three wondering monster charts provided (roll a d100).
Outdoor Chart
Indoor Chart (treat as level 3 dungeon)
Undead Sub-Chart (this one is used only if you roll high using the d100 on one of the other two charts).

All three of the charts are for NIGHT time encounters.
For daytime encounters the author suggests using the normal AD&D charts for outside and (daytime) inside the haunted house there will be no wondering monsters, or (probably) any other activity for that matter....
Its a haunted house, where things go bump in the night, and those types of critters are usually nowhere to be found during the daytime.

One last specific note: The Well outside the house is special in that at night it is enchanted.
Anything touching the water will change slightly, including creatures/people/items.
There are several charts at the back of the book to roll the results.
This only happens three times per night (Maximum).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:51 am 

Thank goodness for this thread. I'm a sucky DM at leveling adventures. Thus when I have an unleveled adventure it's hard for me to figure out what the good levels for the party, and party-size would be.