True dungeon token...?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:24 am 

What 's that?

'True dungeon token' Research

Just a question to the fellowship of the Gencon.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:34 am 

500 gp electrum bar for $20?  With a bidder?  

The tokens represent your equipment and treasure in the GenCon True Dungeon adventures.   www.truedungeon.com
When you fight, instead of dicing, you slide your weapon token(s) on a table, mini-shuffleboard style to determine your attacks.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:39 am 

Yeah, I played a session of that at Gen Con last week.  I'm still ambivilent about it.

It's a "live action dungeon crawl" (no real roleplaying) with combat as mordrin described, memory tests for spellcasting, and so on.  All of the characters money, equipment, and treasure is handled via tokens -- every time you play a session, you get 10 random tokens, plus whatever you accumulate as treasure during the game. Tokens are yours to keep afterwards.

Since the game doesn't provide much in the way of special abilities or skills for characters, a lot depends on equipment (especially magic items), so there's an aftermarket developing for the rarer tokens (because, just like every other collectible game, they're presorted into common, rare, very rare, etc.) The tokens are kinda nifty, basically heavy plastic poker chips with pictures of D&D equipment on them.

The weird thing (to me) is that nobody mentioned a limit on the number of tokens a player can take into the dungeon.  Apparently True Dungeon doesn't have encumbrance rules?

(I played the "puzzle" version of the game, which was annoying, because I was stuck with a group of five "experienced" players who thought they were smarter than they were.  They argued so much about the puzzle solutions that they ended up brute-forcing most of them (each player is allowed one try at each puzzle, and we had eight players) then completely fell apart on the one puzzle that couldn't be brute-forced (because of a time limit on detect magic spells and our wizard's poor eyesight). If I play again, I'm going for a "combat" version.)

Oddly enough, True Dungeon is set in/around the City of Greyhawk (and only 3/4 of the way through its "storyline"), which means it will technically be the largest Greyhawk event at next year's Gen Con Indy. Figure that one out.

Last edited by Contrarian on Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 WWW ICQ  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:51 am 

Thank you very much for the infos !
:D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:03 pm 

I played the last four years, it is pretty good just for the dungeon decor and such; probably not worth the $34.99 cost though.  Some the tokens are rare and I was offered $100 for my Gauntlets of Dex +2 last year.  I should have took it dammit :?

We did end up with 2 gauntlets of ogre power though.  You really do need good items to make it through to the end. :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!