Morno's Dice of Fate Calendar (1975-1978) at Retropolis
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:11 pm 

So recently I fired up my scanner and Photoshop and worked through the pages of my 1978 "Dice of Fate" portfolio and some other bits and pieces from the seventies, and eventually I ended up with this calendar of old (or, I guess, distinguished) Morno art from 1975-1978.

I can guarantee that there are some things in here that none of you will have seen; a couple made their only appearance in that portfolio, and a couple are Tolkien illustrations that only ever existed as greeting cards back in the day.

...for example, or

...along with some more familiar pictures, like covers for Wee Warriors and Alarums and Excursions.

So here it is: Morno's Dice of Fate Calendar

It's got rolling dates so no matter when you buy it, you can still get a full 12 months of, well, months. Because months are what months are all about.

Oh, and I blogged a little about it here, too.

Bradley W. Schenck
(the artist formerly known as Morno - isn't there a symbol for that?)
Webomator Blog

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:10 pm 

Fantastic stuff!  Always loved your artwork and I'm already in for a calendar.  :D

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 pm 

Wow! Glad you've made this available. I just put up a post about it on my blog to get the word out.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:37 am 

Thanks on both counts!

Zenopus, I'm pretty sure that other cover you posted was the first one I did for A&E. There are in fact two A&E covers in the calendar: the title wasn't integrated into the second, so I cropped it out here to make the illustration larger.

Bradley W. Schenck
(the artist formerly known as Morno - isn't there a symbol for that?)
Webomator Blog

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:25 pm 

Very nice!  Morno is missed.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:41 am 

Formerly Known As Morno wrote:
Zenopus, I'm pretty sure that other cover you posted was the first one I did for A&E. There are in fact two A&E covers in the calendar: the title wasn't integrated into the second, so I cropped it out here to make the illustration larger.

Thanks for the info. I corrected my post. I also added a note that this was the issue with first ever D&D article by J. Eric Holmes, "Warrior for Hire". A nice little coincidence given my areas of interest.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement