CRAWL! Fanzine for DCC RPG
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:57 am 

I spotted CRAWL! in an ad in the back of the DCC RPG book. Since I like to support projects like this, I signed on right away.

http://crawlfanzine.blogspot.com/

A six month subscription is $21.

Issue #1 starts with a hilarious twist:  Black ink printed on a black cover.  I don't know if this is intentional or not.  A gold sticker reading "CRAWL! #1" might be a way of fixing the black on black decision.  This is just the sort of gaming quirk that makes collector history.  "Does anyone have a gold label copy of CRAWL! #1?"

The writers are Reverend Dak and Brett Miller.  Reverend Dak is the guy who did the design and publishing.  Brett Miller did part of the halfway decent art, along with a guy named Count Spatula.  (Which makes me wonder how many spatulas he has and if he has...you know...counted them.)

At this point in the fanzine's history, most of the issue is dedicated to rules variants (and fixes) for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG.  One concept I found intriguing was how to run a campaign without clerics.  Some gamers apparently think spell-casting clerics do not fit in the sword and sorcery genre.  There are alternative rules for how to survive (literally) without them.

* It strikes me that simply adding the cleric spell list to the wizard spell list and booting the rest of the cleric class would solve the problem nicely.*

There is a feature about a "patron" named Van den Danderclanden that looks like it might be interesting....if I could make any sense of what Van den Danderclanden is supposed to do or be.  (This would probably make more sense to me if I'd actually read the rules through.  I probably ought to do that.)  There's a chart for various "invoke patron" check results.  There's also another chart for determining a "patron taint" for calling on Van den Danderclanden..."when a patron taint is indicated."  

There are also various articles on alternative spell result variants and critical hits, passive skill checks and OSR conversion rules.

CRAWL! #1 is a saddle-stitched, digest publication with 20 interior pages. The cover is very heavy cardstock...printed black on black, so you need a shiny light to read it.

I would advise collectors to jump on the publication's relatively low price and likely high collectibility.

I would like to see more adventure and less rules variants in future issues.

CRAWL! #1 and LOVIATAR #10 arrived from California addresses on the same day....but I think it's just coincidence.  :?:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:10 am 

I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago and it showed up yesterday. I was surprised when I opened it up and saw the cover. Supposedly the "black on black" cover with the gold sticker is the pre-order special cover. The "normal" cover is black ink on gray (or is that light blue...good thing I'm going to the eye doc this week  :D  ) shown on the CRAWL! website --> http://crawlfanzine.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... until.html . I was expecting the normal cover and didn't even know about the pre-order cover.

There was a rumor that he has a few copies of the black on black cover that he was going to sell at a local con...but I think he said he sold out of the pre-order cover later.

I haven't had a chance to go through it yet, but thanks for the first impressions. Still not 100% that the game needs a publication for house rules and variant classes but I'm along for the ride.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:20 pm 

Seeing our opinions for Loviatar seem to be the same I jumped on this one also...  :)

Matt