PHB wizard cover illustration: french/US differences
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:29 pm 

Hi folks,

on the Donjon du Dragon, French D&D forums, one member made an interesting finding.
The French Wizard does not have a complete hood, while the US one does. By looking more in details, it is possible to see that the hood was completed in the US version (the original version should not have a full hood BTW).
We are wondering why the French version seems to display the original one, especially considering that the French version was released several years after.
Any idea?

ImageImage

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:45 pm 

Nice find ! Never spotted such difference before !
All English versions (USA, UK, Australia) are similar. German version is similar to the French one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:50 am 

It's weird that we didn't notice this before. We are always looking for tiny printing differences and finally the biggest difference goes unnoticed.

So, German and French have the original one. The question "why" still remains  :?:

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:38 am 

Hi, I'm the one who mentioned it on the French forum and FYI, I even asked directly to Jeff Easley about it. He doesn't seem to remember about it so no explanation so far...   :?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:51 am 

Maybe because it looks like a big red penis? What does the white beard represent, & is the wizard in the wasteland?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:52 am 

sekoia wrote:Hi, I'm the one who mentioned it on the French forum and FYI, I even asked directly to Jeff Easley about it. He doesn't seem to remember about it so no explanation so far...   :?

Great find Sekoia !! :salut:
As Loki said, it is just incredible we, collectors, hadn't noticed this difference before.  It is surely due to the fact we do not imagine an illustration might have any difference between an original version and a translated one.
Since your find, I checked other AD&D/D&D items showing this Easley illustration, among them  
the 1984 puzzle like this one

** expired/removed eBay auction **

and the miniature blisters from Ral Partha like this one

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Each has the same illustration as the original PH.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:04 am 

I think French edition is 1986 or 1987, way loooong after it was published in the US. We probably would have to find someone who worked at TSR to explain that modification in the painting. Jeff's reply to my question was :
"this was painted long before Photoshop, so it would have taken some effort or someone to fu... uh... mess around with it. Unless it was done recently by some radical pro collar activist".  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:49 am 

That is so peculiar.

There's nothing that the cowl/hood is blocking, so the removal of the little piece has to have been done to deliberately make it look or more like something specific or less like something specific, I think.

The wacky pope/cardinal hats are the only thing I can think of right now.
https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl ... Q-z1Uoiw-0

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:18 am 

Actually, it seems that a piece was added (for US version) instead of removed (original for French version, even if it was later).

To look more like the pope... why not.  Or perhaps the "original" hat was considered to convey a evil feeling (with 2 "horns").

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:46 pm 

Is there another difference between them? Where the wizards left arm of the cloak folds, there's a golden mark or amulet there in the upper one? Or is that just the image

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 pm 

I guess it is an artefact of the image. Nothing on my US PHB. Or at least on the printing I have.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:31 am 

This is really interesting. I can think of one other possibility, which is that the painting could have been damaged in that area at some point and then this particular fix was done, perhaps by someone else. I have a couple of paintings of Jeff Easley's (one from '83 and another from '88) and have seen several others from 83-84 and I can say firsthand that he paints VERY thin. He doesn't "gob" on the paint with much thickness at all, it's very delicate. In the case of the earlier ones I have and have seen, it's sometimes on illustration paper that was adhered to illustration board. So if someone's not handling his art that well or things are placed on top of it that shouldn't be, the painting could definitely be damaged. I can't quite remember all the details right now, but I think there's a story about the artists at one point switching to paint on masonite (a much harder board) after Keith Parkinson mentioned to them that it's more difficult for someone else to mess with. (I guess the others hadn't considered that previously).

I do have the French version of this book as well to compare against the US version. One thing I noticed is that if you look closely at the French version where the top of the wizard's hood is, you can see a faint outline of where the original hood is supposed to be, as if it were intended to be completed in the upper area.

I think you guys are right in looking to track down someone who put together the French version to see if they remember anything specifically about this.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:32 am 

I confirm that Jeff easley paints very thin, I own one as well. I attended a painting class with Larry Elmore who told me Jeff paints more in the lavish technique (thinness of paint). Keith's painting looks far thicker and Larry's in more into a mix.
Regarding the board thing and damageing, Larry told us the story. Back in those times, artists were indeed painting on illustration papier / board. Back in those days, scans were rotative things and the printer had difficulties to scan the paintings for the books /modules covers so they peeled the paintings in order to be able to put them in the rotative scanner ! It drove the artists crazy ! I think it's Larry who decided to paint on masonite and sent the first painting to the scanner with a message sticked to it "Now Peel this !!!". LMFAO !
Regarding the French cover, it will be difficult to know what happened really... Would have to find someone from the TSR french team ....

PS : which Easley paintings do you own misterspock ? I am the owner of the Polyhedron #144 cover (a nice Centaur).