WOTC still going through TSR archives? WHAT?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:10 pm 

Here's an odd story that WOTC posted on their website today. Apparently, they just had a TSR warehouse in Wisconsin emptied out and shipped to the WOTC offices, and they're handing stuff out willy-nilly to employees.

D&D books, magazines, minis, action figures, computer and analog games, puzzle books, rub-off transfers, even a sleeping bag! I couldn't believe TSR made all this stuff! Apparently it all came from a warehouse in Wisconsin where TSR kept its archives. Recently we had it sent here, and the items at my desk barely scratched the surface of what other boxes around the rest of the office held.

(The full article is a PDF; might require a wizards.com account to download.)

wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drcw ... onfessions

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:11 pm 

Contrarian wrote:Here's an odd story that WOTC posted on their website today. Apparently, they just had a TSR warehouse in Wisconsin emptied out and shipped to the WOTC offices, and they're handing stuff out willy-nilly to employees.

D&D books, magazines, minis, action figures, computer and analog games, puzzle books, rub-off transfers, even a sleeping bag! I couldn't believe TSR made all this stuff! Apparently it all came from a warehouse in Wisconsin where TSR kept its archives. Recently we had it sent here, and the items at my desk barely scratched the surface of what other boxes around the rest of the office held.

(The full article is a PDF; might require a wizards.com account to download.)

wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drcw ... onfessions

And a spare like Shelly Mazzanoble gets to root through it. There is no justice in the world.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:17 pm 

Is that the sound of an upcoming ebay sunami?

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:24 pm 

Maybe.  It could cause some to start selling their swag...   But, it seems more likely that this is the first tremors of a wave of nostalgia that will accompany the 40th anniversary and probably bring in more buyers than sellers.  I expect that buying the more common items is going to get surprisingly expensive over the next couple of years.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:05 pm 

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... speculation about reprinting of lots of 1st and 2nd edition material?  Can't imagine things like this would be publicized for giggles unless there were an agenda (nostalgia hype / fueling the frenzy).  Which they seem to have already partially succeeded at, as I'm very, VERY curious to know what they pulled out and how I can get my hands on some of it, if it is indeed in "new condition".

Those that cannot procure the originals might be "afforded the opportunity" by WOTC to still "participate in the experience" thanks to thier wonderfully and carefully crafted reprints of all those things we loved as children.

Just saying.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:21 pm 

I think you are right on target.  It's only going to hurt many of us here when we try to fill holes in our collections.  Or, inevitably a few will cash in collections, only to later regret the decision.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:04 pm 

So, what's the secret plan - an exhibit? A museum? Using the books to make high quality scans for new pdfs or reprints for sale? Something for the 40th anniversary of OD&D (1974)? Reproductions of the Halloween costumes?  :wink:

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:29 pm 

That's soooooo unfair  8O  :(

PS: Mezzanobile, not Mezzanoble - the girl has Italian blood  8)

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:59 pm 

From the article, discussing the Fiend Folio:  "I had seen a much-loved, busted-spine, root-beerstained copy of this book once when someone brought it in for reference."  ONCE.  This from Shelly Mazzanobile, who wrote Everything I Need to Know I Learned From Dungeons & Dragons: One Woman's Quest to Turn Self-Help for Elf-Help, correct?

This, friends, is why Dungeon Crawl Classics is the true successor to Gygaxian AD&D, and why -- for as long as WotC controls the D&D brand - we can't have nice things.  :evil:

[Old person is olding, rant over  :lol: ]

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:06 pm 

Get used to it; I have. It's the same feeling I get when someone says he doesn't "get" Lovecraft, or claims to be a Lord of the Rings fan only to admit ten seconds later that they've never read the books, only seen the film. Bah humbug.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:29 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:From the article, discussing the Fiend Folio:  "I had seen a much-loved, busted-spine, root-beerstained copy of this book once when someone brought it in for reference."  ONCE.  This from Shelly Mazzanobile, who wrote Everything I Need to Know I Learned From Dungeons & Dragons: One Woman's Quest to Turn Self-Help for Elf-Help, correct?

This, friends, is why Dungeon Crawl Classics is the true successor to Gygaxian AD&D, and why -- for as long as WotC controls the D&D brand - we can't have nice things.  :evil:

[Old person is olding, rant over  :lol: ]

Shelly is an absolute fraud anyway. Don't get me wrong, she's probably a pleasant person. But someone at WOTC tried to turn her into the female face of the hobby and she's got about as much knowledge of old school as my grandson (actually, surely less). I forgot more about D&D taking a dump today than she's ever known in her life.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:06 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Shelly is an absolute fraud anyway. Don't get me wrong, she's probably a pleasant person. But someone at WOTC tried to turn her into the female face of the hobby and she's got about as much knowledge of old school as my grandson (actually, surely less). I forgot more about D&D taking a dump today than she's ever known in her life.

Mike B.

You know, I met her at Gen Con a couple years ago. Very, very nice lady, also very passionate about the hobby. For her to be a "fraud" she'd have to pretend to be something she is not. She's a new, passionate gamer who loves D&D. I don't ever recall her claiming to be the voice of old school. I mean, c'mon dude, why are we attacking people who just like D&D? That's not how we do things here at The Acaeum.

Zen

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:36 pm 

Zenfinite wrote:
Badmike wrote:

Mike B.

You know, I met her at Gen Con a couple years ago. Very, very nice lady, also very passionate about the hobby. For her to be a "fraud" she'd have to pretend to be something she is not. She's a new, passionate gamer who loves D&D. I don't ever recall her claiming to be the voice of old school. I mean, c'mon dude, why are we attacking people who just like D&D? That's not how we do things here at The Acaeum.

Zen

Granted she probably doesn't know she's a fraud (and perhaps WotC doesn't either), but what she represents isn't D&D. Far be it for me to come off sounding like one of the old guard here, but if 4th edition (or heaven forefend D&D "Next") is D&D, I'm a monkey's uncle and the Acaeum is way obsolete. I don't think either is the case.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:16 am 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:Granted she probably doesn't know she's a fraud (and perhaps WotC doesn't either), but what she represents isn't D&D. Far be it for me to come off sounding like one of the old guard here, but if 4th edition (or heaven forefend D&D "Next") is D&D, I'm a monkey's uncle and the Acaeum is way obsolete. I don't think either is the case.

Shelly Mazzanoble certainly isn't the "face" of either 4th edition or D&D Next. She joined Wizards (and wrote her first book) during the 3.5 era. So to judge her based on the subsequent editions of the game seems to be a bit of a stretch. I also don't think she's ever claimed to be an expert on "old school" D&D; in fact, if anything, Shelly's writing makes it very clear that she was a relative newcomer to D&D.

Personally, I don't like her style of writing at all, but she seems to appeal to a significant segment of female gamers, and she is also clearly very passionate about role-playing and D&D. I am inclined to judge positively anyone who is passionate about my favourite hobby, and dedicated to bringing new gamers into the fold, whether or not I like their writing style, or whether they can identify a first print Dwarven Glory at a glance.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:44 am 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:
Zenfinite wrote:

Zen

Granted she probably doesn't know she's a fraud (and perhaps WotC doesn't either), but what she represents isn't D&D. Far be it for me to come off sounding like one of the old guard here, but if 4th edition (or heaven forefend D&D "Next") is D&D, I'm a monkey's uncle and the Acaeum is way obsolete. I don't think either is the case.
'

I''m going to go with this.  Like I said he's probably a very pleasant person, but her idea of D&D and mine would probably have very little common ground.  Shelly being passionate about new school D&D is fine but IMO she could just as well be passionate about Magic: The Gathering or Vampire: The Masquerade.  I mean, the Jersey Shore "actors" are probably great people to grab a brew with but their idea of entertainment is idiotic. Her books are nothing more than an attempt at marketing by WOTC...even though her books have very little about actual gaming and a lot about, well, her. But hey, WOTC, keep appealing to that 5% share of gamers in an attempt to get more women in the game (BTW, you get more women in the game by creating a compelling and awesome game, not having shills for your company write crap books).

If you don't think she's a fraud read excerpts from"Part Time Sorceress"....the ones where she wants to take her D&D character shopping at specialty stores for clothes and shoes.  Really?  Well, really, no, but the powers that be at WOTC probably thought that sounded cool.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:20 am 

I received a really cool early 80s D&D notebook from that leftover cache. Chris Perkins gave it to me last year (or the year prior) at Gen Con.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:27 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:Get used to it; I have. It's the same feeling I get when someone says he doesn't "get" Lovecraft, or claims to be a Lord of the Rings fan only to admit ten seconds later that they've never read the books, only seen the film. Bah humbug.

I hope you are not referring to me?  :evil:

I "get" Lovecraft he just doesn't "get" me.  8O

Disco

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:50 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:This, friends, is why Dungeon Crawl Classics is the true successor to Gygaxian AD&D, and why -- for as long as WotC controls the D&D brand - we can't have nice things.  :evil:

The true successor to Gygaxian AD&D isn't Dungeon Crawl Classics but Castles & Crusades. There are many reasons for this, but the fact that it was the last game Gary had any part in working on might have had something to do with it.

Next