e-Bay sellers you should avoid
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:14 am 

azznorock
First 3 letters of the sellers ID are appropriate if misspelled  :lol:
At the VERY least ask questions before bidding on ANY of that sellers listings!
The problem started with a BIN I hit on a listing that featured an item that is tough to find complete and in decent condition.
I took a small chance (I thought) as the seller had a 100% feedback and seemed OK and the BIN was a very good price for the item if it was complete and in decent condition.
I figured someone was going to hit it sooner than later so I took a chance that the seller was honest and not trying to hide anything sinister...
When it arrived the item was neither complete, nor in good condition.
I asked seller for refund and was told to take a leap, so I filed a claim through Paypal (e-Bay)
I sent the pictures below along with an explanation, yet for some reason they (Paypal) found in favor of this seller.

Seller clicked on the used button during listing process and added this description.
Has Map and Counters

In Red Arrow, Black Shield, the Desert Nomads are invading Akesoli, and plan to invade Darokin next, and the player characters must organize a defense.[1] This scenario combined role-playing and wargaming to resolve a strategic battle, using rules from both the Companion Set and Battlesystem.[1]

The player characters lead diplomatic missions and armies against the Desert Nomads and their evil leader, The Master. With the Nomadic invasion of Akesoli, the Republic of Darokin prepares for war.

This module is billed as "A BATTLESYSTEM(TM) Game/War Machine Spectacular!" It uses the mass combat "War Machine" rules from the Companion Set, and the BATTLESYSTEM Fantasy Combat Supplement included with the module, as well as a large map of Mystara and strategy game tokens. There are a number of "Chase Flow Charts" used to direct encounters through an abstracted landcape as players pursue others or are pursued themselves through the streets.

Sellers single picture

Although I posted a Negative feedback, I suspect the seller will complain and get it reversed...
The only other thing I can do is to warn other collectors to avoid this seller.

Below are some of the Pictures I took the day this item arrived.
Cover has several large spine creases, bent corners, stained/dirty (front and rear), and has a couple of small rips; Counters are not complete, missing several of them and the seller KNEW it.
When I stated that the counters were not all there, the seller actually stated EXACTLY how many were missing! Yet could not have been bothered to state that in the listing!
ImageImage

Inside book, front and rear pages torn off, with extensive writing on a LOT of pages (8 pages)
ImageImage

Plenty of writing
ImageImage

Lots of highlighting as well on about 1/2 of the books pages.
ImageImage

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:50 am 

Not to sound like a dick here, but, looks to me like you took a chance on a low Buy It Now on an item with a bad picture and no description, and got burned. It happens. I know I've done it. I actually think giving the guy a negative was a little too far. He never lied, it does have a map and counters. Hey, sometimes you get the good deal and sometimes you don't. It's all part of the game IMHO.

Now, if you took the time and asked questions and he lied to you, then you would have won the PayPal claim.

Zenfinite

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:59 am 

Original auction posting:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

This looks like a seller that you need to read between the lines with a fine tooth comb. Bad photos to begin with. I also notice the wording 'Has map and counters'. That's it for a description. Saying it has maps and counters does not indicate completeness, only that there are maps and counters. Could be complete and unused, or could be maps and counters from a different game altogether. Also no indication of condition other than the washed out photo. Even so, judging from what I could see, it looks very used.

Definately someone I would want to ask questions of before bidding. I don't even recall these auctions. Maybe the pics scared me off.   PDT_Armataz_01_07

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:59 am 

I did not post this thread to complain that I got screwed and hope others agree.
In fact I stated above that I knew I was taking a chance by hitting that BIN.
This thread was posted and meant to warn others to avoid this seller, not to nurse my own self inflicted wounds.
Luckily the BIN was low enough so that I was not financially ruined by the sellers lack of good faith and highly questionable listing practices.   :lol:
And I truly feel this seller earned the negative feedback I left.

Post your own sellers to avoid.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:27 pm 

Looking at the seller's auctions, there were signs that the seller is either very lazy or intentionally concealing conditional issues with washed-out photos and vague, or no, descriptions for condition.  Hindsight's 20/20 but checking out the condition of the other listings would have probably provided an indication of the condition as well.

Been there before...  Unless you are looking for a beater copy and have low expectations, I would avoid this seller.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:27 pm 

Looks like you were unhappy (i.e. neg feedback) with his other auction too:

...was that one as bad? Those pics do make it hard to see what you are buying.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:54 pm 

1. I thought the listings looked suspicious because of the odd photos.

2. I'm surprised you lost an NSAD, buyers practically never lose those, i'm assuming his really vague descriptions helped him out here.

3. That being said, i can't believer he'd take a chance on crapping up his feedback by not giving you a refund of some sort. In the long run it's just not worth it for a seller to stand his ground on something like this, especially when you weren't exaggerating how bad the condition was. Sounds like in this case he knew he was running sort of a scam.

4. Ironically, in the next few months onward you are going to get more and more sellers who are going to be shipping you shit and not caring what you leave for feedback, even with "raising" seller standards. The reason being the standards after June will be raised to a standard most sellers can never meet, so rather than bend over backwards they may just tell you to fuck yourself in certain situations.  For example, I can only keep a top seller rating now if I print out my shipping ONLY via Ebay (never through paypal, or just bringing it to the post office); if I have a 14 day refund period (think that's stupid, but I'll do that) or guarantee a one day turn around (not gonna happen, I have NTRPG con coming up and a summer vacation week, I cannot guarantee a 24 hour turn around time in those cases).  There is simply no incentive now for me to be a "top rated" seller, so why do I care if I get a few bad ratings now?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:13 pm 

red_bus wrote:Looks like you were unhappy (i.e. neg feedback) with his other auction too:

Plus, a little of the "Coug" slipping into the feedback there... :lol:

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:22 pm 

Badmike wrote:1. I thought the listings looked suspicious because of the odd photos.

2. I'm surprised you lost an NSAD, buyers practically never lose those, i'm assuming his really vague descriptions helped him out here.

3. That being said, i can't believer he'd take a chance on crapping up his feedback by not giving you a refund of some sort. In the long run it's just not worth it for a seller to stand his ground on something like this, especially when you weren't exaggerating how bad the condition was. Sounds like in this case he knew he was running sort of a scam.

4. Ironically, in the next few months onward you are going to get more and more sellers who are going to be shipping you shit and not caring what you leave for feedback, even with "raising" seller standards. The reason being the standards after June will be raised to a standard most sellers can never meet, so rather than bend over backwards they may just tell you to fuck yourself in certain situations.  For example, I can only keep a top seller rating now if I print out my shipping ONLY via Ebay (never through paypal, or just bringing it to the post office); if I have a 14 day refund period (think that's stupid, but I'll do that) or guarantee a one day turn around (not gonna happen, I have NTRPG con coming up and a summer vacation week, I cannot guarantee a 24 hour turn around time in those cases).  There is simply no incentive now for me to be a "top rated" seller, so why do I care if I get a few bad ratings now?

Mike B.

I am with you mike... eBay essentially taking back the 20% discount... they know they have a dominate position in the market place and utilixe monopolistic practices constantly.... I am hoping they recant this decision or scale it back some... it just simply cannot work for me.

Tom aka DiscoDadda

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:12 am 

Zenfinite wrote: He never lied, it does have a map and counters.

There is such a thing as a lie by omission.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:20 pm 

Scott---

I'm not sure which thread to include this in, but found this one.  If there's a better one to use, please point me to it.  I called eBay to report the seller last night, since there didn't seem to be a good way to do so via their automated reporting process.

Beware the seller "deneeteres" who cancelled the sales of a White Box and a Star Probe lot earlier this month---presumably because they didn't sell for the prices they were hoping to get---and relisted them both recently:

White Box @ ** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **
Star Probe @  

Original listings at

White Box @  

Star Probe @  

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:23 pm 

grodog wrote in e-Bay sellers you should avoid:Star Probe @  

And, despite winning this auction for $15.50, eBay had no intention of closing down the relisted auctions and enforcing the "contract" such that I would still get the books from the sale I won.  I don't know whether that's really expected or not, but I was definitely disappointed to hear that from their customer service rep.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:41 pm 

grodog wrote in e-Bay sellers you should avoid:Beware the seller "deneeteres" who cancelled the sales of a White Box and a Star Probe lot earlier this month---presumably because they didn't sell for the prices they were hoping to get---and relisted them both recently:

White Box @ ** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Original listings at

White Box @  

I asked deneeteres if the rulebooks had any rust on the staples and she replied "no". Her response was suspiciously fast, but I exercised the BIN price at $150. Then she wrote back and said actually there was some rust on the staples now that she had a chance to look at them. I took up her offer to cancel the order. She said she hadn't realized how much these books were worth, so it does seem like she was just telling me that to weasel out of the deal in retrospect.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:59 pm 

grubbiv wrote in e-Bay sellers you should avoid:
I asked deneeteres if the rulebooks had any rust on the staples and she replied "no". Her response was suspiciously fast, but I exercised the BIN price at $150. Then she wrote back and said actually there was some rust on the staples now that she had a chance to look at them. I took up her offer to cancel the order. She said she hadn't realized how much these books were worth, so it does seem like she was just telling me that to weasel out of the deal in retrospect.

i would have let her ship them and then if you weren't satisfied open up a case, return them and get money back

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:12 pm 

Sorry for everyone's bad experiences.  I hate people like this.

-- Yep, this is the right thread

-- I've added "deneeteres" to the Acaeum blacklist, so no more free advertising here, jackass!

-- eBay actually has a vested interest in allowing sellers to back out of low-sale-price auctions.  A higher sale price = increased fees they collect.  They lost their moral business compass quite a long time ago.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:29 pm 

I wonder if this is original shrink LOL

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:10 am 

Blackmoor wrote in e-Bay sellers you should avoid:I wonder if this is original shrink LOL

Man, that brings back memories.  Original TSR Saran Wrap!  :lol:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:17 am 

Nothing better than homemade shrink wrap!!! :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Next