1st Edition AD&D books to be reprinted
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:32 pm 

Great to hear that these are good quality.  I have some that should be showing up in the mail tomorrow and I am looking forward to seeing them!  I'd also be happy with a Rules Cyclopedia and various other OD&D, 1st and 2nd Edition TSR stuff.  Ah,,,, the classics!

In other news, yeah I'll probably get the 3.5 reprints too, if only to have all the errata together.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:59 pm 

Here are a few pics. The faux leather covers turned out much better than I'd expected and actually feel pretty classy (even the shimmer effect). The interior pages have a modest gloss and are a little thinner. The ink is a bit darker, so you lose a tiny bit of detail on some pictures, but I didn't see any that were ruined. The page layouts changed a little bit, but nothing looks materially different. Overall, I think the reprints turned out really well. Glad I have them.

Note: The interior comparison shots have the reprints on the left, the originals on the right. This is a little confusing vs the external shots, but oh well. I'm not doing it over again. Too late already.  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:42 pm 

Very cool

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:59 am 

I have to admit I was pretty skeptical about these reprints, though it didn't keep me from ordering them.  Seeing the pictures, the books look to be high quality with real attention to detail.  Given the need to reproduce them manually, the effort must have been considerable.  So I am glad to be pleasantly surprised.  Now, I just need to get my copies . . . .

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:05 am 

I do want these, but not sure I want to pay $100 plus the killer shipping to the UK... :(

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:20 am 

I had thought these would now be available in the UK so surely it is just a matter of time until they are available. I certainly want a set.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:51 am 

this place in the UK has them listed for preorder.

http://www.leisuregames.com/acatalog/newPREORDERS.html

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:57 am 

misterspock wrote:this place in the UK has them listed for preorder.

http://www.leisuregames.com/acatalog/newPREORDERS.html

Thanks for that!

Although it works out around $115 to buy them here bizarrely....

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:58 pm 

They look really nice.

I still can't bring myself to buy them though.  I have first printings.  I have later printings too.  For someone who doesn't collect every printing of each of the books, what's the desire to buy these?  I'm not criticizing, I'm seriously asking.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:07 pm 

But... but... this printing comes with a bookmark!  :mrgreen:

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:50 pm 

Don't feel obligated, but I believe the best reasons to buy these are to honor the memory of Gary, to show your kids/young players that your edition is supported and in print, to give as gifts to future players, to increase in value over time, to viscerally enjoy and to show WotC that there is a market for quality old school reprints and that they should consider offering more.

But that's just me.
8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:07 am 

i went and got a set from the great flgs Games Plus that is 15 minutes from my home. I paid a little more than some other avenues ($105) but they let me pick through all of their copies and select the nicest ones that had the straightest corners and where the wrap-around paper inserts were all at the same level so they would be aesthetically appealing on the shelves to view. i was reminded of my days managing a game distributorship 25 years ago. the pay was lousy, but i was, as an example, able to go through the 144 copies of dragon magazine that we received each month and pick out the best one for my collection.

my question for the people that have been posting reviews of these books: you didn't take the shrinkwrap off of your copies did you?

(just poking fun at myself)    (oh and Ryan too of course)

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:42 am 

stratochamp wrote:my question for the people that have been posting reviews of these books: you didn't take the shrinkwrap off of your copies did you?

Yes, yes I did! :lol:

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:06 am 

Hah, I didn't take the shrink off of mine yet.... not so much because I like my stuff in shrink, but because I've been too busy to sit down and look at them all closely, hahaha...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:51 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:They look really nice.

I still can't bring myself to buy them though.  I have first printings.  I have later printings too.  For someone who doesn't collect every printing of each of the books, what's the desire to buy these?  I'm not criticizing, I'm seriously asking.

Because glossy paper, inferior in all other respects, will keep its reflective glare for a thousand years.

For me its all about about thick tan paper and quality ink and these babies fail on those counts so I have no interest in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:01 am 

Just picked up a set today, the players handbook is already in short supply at my local store and they have only had it since tuesday  8O

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:11 am 

Hiya,

these are shipping to retailers in the UK next week, hopefully Monday, so should have them Tuesday.

Cheers,
KAL

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:19 am 

stratochamp wrote:
my question for the people that have been posting reviews of these books: you didn't take the shrinkwrap off of your copies did you?

Easy answer!  Two sets. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

PreviousNext