Basic Set 3rd and Fourth UK print rulebook: New print?
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:28 am 

Well, I received today a GW UK print and I wanted to know if it was a 3rd or a 4th print.

I looked to the foreign edition page on Acaeum. The box fits the 4th print. As for the rulebook, Acaeum states:

- Third UK print (Nov 1978)
48-page rulebook:  Lizard logo in lower left,  with "F116-R" in upper right and "*T.M. Reg. App. For" under the D&D logo; contains references to Hobbits (see bottom of page 11).  The copyright page states "Second Edition, Nov 1978", and has both the Lizard logo and Games Workshop logo at the bottom of the page.  Back-cover catalog does not have prices.

- Fourth UK print (1978?)
48-page rulebook:  Lizard logo in lower left,  with "F116-R" in upper right and "*T.M. Reg. App. For" under the D&D logo. References to Hobbits (see bottom of page 11) now changed to Halflings.  The copyright page states "Second Edition, Nov 1978", and has both the Lizard logo and Games Workshop logo at the bottom of the page.  Back-cover catalog is slightly expanded, and has prices in pounds sterling.

Here is my problem:
I already have a F116-R that exactly matches the Fourth print, with references to halflings and prices on back cover for each product.
In the UK box I received today, the F116-R book does have the reference to halflings (instead of hobbits) and matches the 4th print BTW. However, the back cover does not have price! There is only one price for the last item: White Dwarf. No other prices listed.

Am I missing something? Sorry if I misunderstood the UK prints :/ Or is it a new print?

Here is some pics (the new one in the box, on the left; my previous copy that fits 4th print on the right)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:38 pm 

Interisting... Nobody has information about this ?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:42 pm 

Consider all the research done so far on the site as a work in progress. We're always finding mysterious printings :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:30 pm 

Yes, considering the difficulties to identify each print and so on.

It would be interesting if someone has a 3rd print to compare the back of the rulebook. This one could be a 4th print alpha because of the shorter product list on the back in comparison to the 4th print, and that the hobbits were already changed to halflings.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:04 am 

I think the Acaeum listing has an error for the 3rd print. My copies match the ones posted above. I do not have any that reference "hobbits" on pg 11. If someone has one matching that please post a pic.

I would say you have a 4th print box with a 3rd print booklet.

Mike

Therapy-level collector