Dungeons & Dragons Computer Fantasy Game
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:42 am 

Dungeons & Dragons Computer Fantasy Game

I recently got this one off eBay, which was quite costly, but in better condition than most I've seen and it sold as never having been played.

So tonight, 30 years later, I finally slew the dragon and wrote a blog about it - http://www.jonray.net/?p=609

Cheers!
Jon

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:45 am 

Nice blog!

I have never tried this one. About a year ago though I bought an Intellivision system (one that I had as kid) and the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game cartridge. It was great playing it again. What surprised me was how quickly one got through the game.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:50 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Nice blog!

I have never tried this one. About a year ago though I bought an Intellivision system (one that I had as kid) and the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game cartridge. It was great playing it again. What surprised me was how quickly one got through the game.

Which cartridge? There were two released for the Intellivision. The first one was "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Cartridge" and the second one "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Treasure of Tarmin Cartridge".

Supposedly the original was renamed to "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Cloudy Mountain Cartridge" after Treasure of Tarmin was released. I own both in shrink but I haven't seen one of the renamed ones...then again, I don't keep an eye on them too closely anymore.

As for the Mattel version, very simplified gameplay and you can normally find them for around $20-25 (in used condition). I vaguely remember playing it online somewhere, but I couldn't find it now.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:22 pm 

Ah!  I remember getting that game when it came out!  :D  Fun little game!  Unfortunately, it was lost probably 15 years ago, or so.  I should seek out another one, as it brings back nostalgic feelings just reading your blog!  :D

~Kat  ^_^

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:13 am 

Thanks guys! I was quite surprised how much fun I had with this old game last night. I was cursing it out loud and rambling my brain to adapt a strategy for the game play. Only took me about 20 tries to finally slay the dragon.

I'll definitely break this out during any downtime at my next gaming session. It was fun to be living in 1981 again while I played.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:49 am 

GreyM wrote:
Which cartridge? There were two released for the Intellivision. The first one was "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Cartridge" and the second one "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Treasure of Tarmin Cartridge".

I have the original one. I can remember saving up an buying it in my early teens and being blown away by how amazing the game was. How times have changed.

Speaking of Mattel electronic D&D games. I also have the computer labyrinth game downstairs, but haven't yet tried to rehabilitate it. Does anyone havea working one?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:58 am 

Actually, just did an Ebay search with the keywords 'dungeon' and 'mattel' and all there are currently 4 handhelds, 2 labyrinth games and 2 intellivision cartridges listed. Hard to get them mint and working though.

eBay listings

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:21 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Speaking of Mattel electronic D&D games. I also have the computer labyrinth game downstairs, but haven't yet tried to rehabilitate it. Does anyone havea working one?

I have one that appears to be working, but the game itself is confusing so I've never determined whether it's functioning properly or not.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:06 am 

I had that hand held game as a kid.  That really brings be back!  I loved it, but have no idea what I eventually did with it, which is really too bad.

Had Treasure of Tarmin too.  That I still have with my Intellivision System.  Still works, I take it out every few years to make sure by playing Tarmin.   :D

The owls are not what they seem...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:27 am 

I used to own one of those. Even as a kid, I always thought those kinds of electronic games were lame. Except for Pacman watches, those were pretty cool. I used to have one with a tiny joystick, and walls that constantly changed.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:08 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:
I have the original one. I can remember saving up an buying it in my early teens and being blown away by how amazing the game was. How times have changed.

Speaking of Mattel electronic D&D games. I also have the computer labyrinth game downstairs, but haven't yet tried to rehabilitate it. Does anyone havea working one?

I have one...its been awhile since I put it away though. It should still work...do you need something specific?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:09 pm 

LordJR wrote:So tonight, 30 years later, I finally slew the dragon and wrote a blog about it - http://www.jonray.net/?p=609

Cheers!
Jon

I like how you can move around, and attack or curse your opponent.   :wink:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:43 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Speaking of Mattel electronic D&D games. I also have the computer labyrinth game downstairs, but haven't yet tried to rehabilitate it. Does anyone havea working one?

Yep, I got one recently that works and is in good condition. Has all the pieces too. I played a single player game of it last night and plan to write up a blog on that one too sometime soon.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:45 pm 

Greeting, Dragonslayers and Would-be Dragonslayers.

There is an free emulator for the Mattel Dungeon & Dragons Handheld game at this site:

http://www.madrigaldesign.it/sim/dnload.php

The instructions are available as part of the program.

Sometime I like that this little game is so tough, other times I wish it were just a bit easier.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:20 pm 

malungin wrote:Greeting, Dragonslayers and Would-be Dragonslayers.

There is an free emulator for the Mattel Dungeon & Dragons Handheld game at this site:

http://www.madrigaldesign.it/sim/dnload.php

The instructions are available as part of the program.

Sometime I like that this little game is so tough, other times I wish it were just a bit easier.

Cool!

Hector.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:46 pm 

One of the guys I follow on Youtube just posted a video/review of this game.  :)  It's fun to see in action.

http://youtu.be/uY2OI7sVHjQ

~Kat  ^_^

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:52 pm 

Wow, no wonder I had forgotten until just this very moment that I owned one of these. LOL. That makes the Intellivision AD&D game that I had look positively spectacular :).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:34 pm 

Katchoo wrote:One of the guys I follow on Youtube just posted a video/review of this game.  :)  It's fun to see in action.

http://youtu.be/uY2OI7sVHjQ

~Kat  ^_^

Thank you for posting that YouTube Link.
That was fun to watch and the guy was pretty good at the game review too.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM