DMG signed by Gary Gygax
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:33 am 

I have a complete set of 1st edition rulebooks, including a Dungeon Master's Guide signed by Gary Gygax.

Can anyone give me any guidance on the likely value of the DMG please? I think it is the ninth print (it has the DM opening the large doors on the cover), and while the condition is reasonable/fair, with a few battered corners for example, I wondered if the great man's recent death was likely to make it any more collectable?

Thanks

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:38 am 

Its probably worth about $5-$10.  Signatures don't really seem to play much a role in the pricing - to some it is an added bonus, to others it is an annoyance.  Gary was also readily available for signing so his signature is not very rare either.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:15 pm 

returning_dm wrote:I have a complete set of 1st edition rulebooks, including a Dungeon Master's Guide signed by Gary Gygax.

Can anyone give me any guidance on the likely value of the DMG please? I think it is the ninth print (it has the DM opening the large doors on the cover), and while the condition is reasonable/fair, with a few battered corners for example, I wondered if the great man's recent death was likely to make it any more collectable?

Thanks

You never know though, if you throw it up for auction, you might get a couple of guys bidding it up. As accessible as EGG was, I personally never had him sign anything until last year's Gencon, so it might be worth more to someone who never had contact with him and wants an interesting curio.  In the case of such a late edition DMG, it definitely won't hurt the value (since it's not that valuable to begin with) but it also might not help.  Probably the condition would have more effect on the price than the sig when it comes right down to it. I personally can't keep Excellent condition PHB and DMGs in my store at less than $20 each anymore....

MikeB.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:22 am 

Thanks guys. I think I'll hang on to it in that case. Who knows, I may even dust all the rulebooks off and get a game going. Now, where did I put those dice?

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:31 pm 

I disagree with the worth.  I would be willing to send some copper your way if you're interested in selling.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:16 pm 

midnightdsob wrote in DMG signed by Gary Gygax:I disagree with the worth.  I would be willing to send some copper your way if you're interested in selling.

Welcome to the forums midnightsob.  Raising a 15 year old thread from the dead is quite an accomplishment for your first post.   :D

I would say that Gary's signature has appreciated quite well over the years.  You have to be wary of the fake ones however.

-SKA