Ritual of the Golden Eyes
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:05 am 

Does anyone have a copy of this? Is it any good? by Inner City Games, Gary Gygax supposely had something to do with it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:44 am 

I've got the first two Castle Wolfmoon adventures, but haven't read them yet.  Flipping through them and skimming though, they looked OK at worst.  Gygax was a creative consultant IIRC, and the third in the series (Castle Wolfmoon) hasn't appeared yet as far as I know.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:08 am 

http://www.afterglow2.com/Product/Innercity.htm

I have both A Challenge to Arms and Ritual of the Golden Eyes (plus ICG's Character Dossiers Kit) And am in the same boat in that I haven't read them yet.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:20 am 

I have these as well.  Chris Clark seems to have done a number of items with Gygax - a number of them are Lejendary Adventures items by Hekaforge.  

A Challenge to Arms has two versions: one with a dark screen wrapped around the modules and one without.  The screen was removed because it was too dark (bad printing job).

Castle Wolfmoon is pretty much down on paper but the quantity of material that Gygax and Clark put together is too much for 1 book so I think the plan was to release 3 or 4 Castle Wolfmoon books.  I have a preliminary copy of the first one (no maps or art) from a few years ago.   It is way overdue so who knows if this will ever make it out.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:16 pm 

Mars---

Any ideas if the Wolfmoon ms. has anything that was originallhy part of Castle Greyhawk in it?  IIRC, EGG was a design consultant on these projects, rahter than a contributing author???

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:44 pm 

Afrika Corps wrote:Does anyone have a copy of this? Is it any good? by Inner City Games, Gary Gygax supposely had something to do with it.

I've read it (and sold a couple copies). There is nothing within to lift it above dozens and dozens of similar generic RPG efforts throughout the last few years, and there is plenty of newer stuff much better. Honestly I couldn't make out what if anything EGG had to do with it, as the writing style isn't similar, and the plotline/setting is average at best.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:30 pm 

grodog wrote:Mars---

Any ideas if the Wolfmoon ms. has anything that was originallhy part of Castle Greyhawk in it?  IIRC, EGG was a design consultant on these projects, rahter than a contributing author???

That's a good question.  I'm not terribly familiar what the original Castle Greyhawk entailed so I don't think I can give you a very good answer on that.

As far as to how closely EGG wrote/consulted on this, I had the impression that it was a significant contribution.  Here's an excerpt from an old email back when I was enquiring about Castle Wolfmoon:

>>And why is it so much more expensive than the other ones?

It won't be when I'm done, or it willbe, depending on your point of view.  Let me be a bit less obtuse.  When Gary and I first finished the module, it came to more than 260 pages of just text.  It contains more than 3000 encounters with 6 castle levels and six attached extra-planar adventures!
Needless to say, such an adventure isn't marketable, and will, in the opinion of the store owners that I trust, intimidate rather than attract customers.

The solution?  We're going to release that adventure as a series (3-4) of modules that will be far more moderately priced.  The first: Castle Wolfmoon: Beginnings should be out for August of this year.

Here's hoping I can beg you to wait that long. :-)

There is also a post on EN World about it:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=46861&page=4

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:17 am 

For those still wondering!

I have undertaken a rewrite on The Ritual of the Golden Eyes as we have run out of copies! The original 1000 are all gone (I think there might be a half dozen left) and I write a bit better than I did in those days, so its being rewritten. The encounters will not change, but you may get a bit more background with them. Yes, we're booking new art as well.  Here's what I hope you will ascertain to be the 'cool part'. This is all being done as a precursor to re-writing and laying out, at long last, Castle Wolfmoon. We are aiming for a KickStarter a year from this coming December.  Six dungeon levels (although level two is actually quite small), and six extra planar adventures will be packed into a three-book series that we hope to keep to a pricepoint of $30 or less (each). I am starting to feel my years a bit, and the notion of unfinished projects disturbs me greatly.... so I really am getting to this one. We do still own the rights to a cover piece from Larry Elmore (we purchased second rights) but I believe we'll be booking (primarily) a good deal of new art, including covers.  We will be showcasing/playing the entire series at Founders and Legends this coming spring and I would love to see any of you at the table.  Wish me luck on getting it all done!

PS: and if you get the chance, check out the new Lance hard sci-fi rpg that we just finished this year. I think it is some of our best work to date.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:51 am 

Excellent!