Sealed AD&D early rulebooks
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:42 am 

Hi,

When I was a young I only had the PHB, DMG, and MM and do not recall them being sealed when I bought them.

I have read on Acaeum (I even saw a comment to this effect from the great Frank Mentzer) that sealed OLD modules are valued up to 10-20x compared to the value of open modules.
The Acaeum valuation key also states 3-10x for SW (see attached image) for RULEBOOKS.
Please tell me if shrinkwrapped copies of the original/early Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rulebooks are "common".
And is 3-10x a good estimate for these sealed rulebooks like the DMG or MM?

Thanks, Brian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:12 am 

Brian, while I’m not an authority to the formatting, I believe the shrinkwrap multiplier you circle in the header would be more helpful with the suffix “where applicable”, typically being modules, accessories, box sets, etc., where noted. The core AD&D rulebooks you reference from your youth were not shrink wrapped. The Acaeum’s documentation explicitly calls this out at the bottom of the Monster Manual page. A simple eBay search for sold shrink wrapped AD&D modules will validate what you’ve read regarding their valuation.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:35 am 

Supernaut wrote in Sealed AD&D early rulebooks:Brian, while I’m not an authority to the formatting, I believe the shrinkwrap multiplier you circle in the header would be more helpful with the suffix “where applicable”, typically being modules, accessories, box sets, etc., where noted. The core AD&D rulebooks you reference from your youth were not shrink wrapped. The Acaeum’s documentation explicitly calls this out at the bottom of the Monster Manual page. A simple eBay search for sold shrink wrapped AD&D modules will validate what you’ve read regarding their valuation.

Thanks Supernaut! I appreciate the information. And good pick up on the MM page, I did not see that. It is your understanding that the statement on SW at the bottom of the MM page is in reference to all rulebooks not just the 1st printing of MM?

Regards, Brian

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:05 pm 

Supernaut is correct, none of the original hardback rulebooks were shrinkwrapped by TSR.  It's always been a problem with aftermarket retailers, though.

Foul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:37 pm 

As Foul notes, anything you’re seeing sealed Brian is bogus. It might be worth calling out to you that the 2012 Gygax memorial editions of these core AD&D rulebooks were sealed, but these are not the same I’m sure you know. for example:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:52 pm 

Supernaut and Foul: I really appreciate the information and expert advice!

Have a great weekend!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:57 am 

This is a little off topic because you were inquiring about core rule books… The Wilderness Survival Guide and Dungeoneer’s Survival Guide were shrinked with booklets and a special cover which wrapped around the respective hardback, but those were very limited in quantity.

Dark

-SKA