Is Ebay still the best sales place to sell Higher end?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:28 pm 

Hey all -
It's time for me to start liquidating my collection.  Wondering if Ebay is the best place still.  13%+ commission seems crazy to me.
I have items like this as example.  Mint condition Swords & Spells that was Tim Kask's first edition first BOX - with provenance.  Have the same thing w Eldrich Wizardry.  
Dragon Magazine 1 Near Mint, 2 dragon #2's NM, all the rest of the early ones, plus strategic reviews. lots of other books including first editions, near mint fighting wheel, more than i can list.
AND, I have tons of other things - 4 large boxes worth.  I've been collecting a long time.  Grew up near Geneva and was one of the first few to ever see the originals and play.  But i'm retiring, and not much use for these anymore.  I started trying to liquidate few years ago, and then never got to it.  Thx for any assistance.  Bruce

You can download the full res images in a zip file here:  http://www.infinitynational.com/images/dd/SS.zip

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:54 pm 

bmichael wrote in Is Ebay still the best sales place to sell Higher end?:Hey all -
It's time for me to start liquidating my collection.  Wondering if Ebay is the best place still.  13%+ commission seems crazy to me.

Yup!  You have access to a thousand times as many buyers which more than offsets the eBay commission.   If you aren't in a hurry, make it a fixed price listing for a slightly above average price.  There are examples of auctions doing better, but there are more examples of listings doing worse than average.  I also can't emphasize enough how important good pictures are.  Make the background neutral, and include a size reference item like a ruler or coin.

Best of luck selling your collection.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:35 pm 

If you are going to sell them in an open auction then yes, no better place than Ebay.

If you want to try your hand at a straight sale price then there are a few places like the Facebook groups you can try to avoid Ebay fees.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:13 pm 

What about the auctions at Gamehole or Gencon?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:07 am 

ddt58 wrote in Is Ebay still the best sales place to sell Higher end?:What about the auctions at Gamehole or Gencon?

You are still better off with eBay.  The convention auctions have hundreds of bidders at most and eBay has thousands.  Con auctions happen in minutes and eBay listings can stay up for years waiting for an over eager buyer.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:01 am 

Most auction houses or conventions charge eBay rates or higher. GenCon is $2 an item and 15%(at least the last time I sold).

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.