Castle Zagyg II: The Upper Works.  Box oddity or defect.
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:08 pm 

I have two copies of Castle Zagyg Upper Works coming up for sale soon.  They're both in NM condition, however one box bottom has several raised areas that look like a thread or glue was caught during construction. I tried to use oblique lighting in the photos below.  Have members have a similar raised areas with their copies?  Will there be a sizeable impact on value?  Thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:26 pm 

I sold a number of these, way back when, that has something similar. Not the stringy invaded by a creeping root thing that’s going on there, but hard lumpy glue globules under the paper, like they made them up in TLG with Pritt Stick to keep up with demand. I had maybe 6 out of the 18 I stocked with not so perfect assembly, so maybe 30+% of the stock that passes through my hands. I actually quite like the stringy root thing going on there.

There are plenty of collectors out there who want products in new/nearly new condition, and would forgive imperfections in assembly. Much better than torn corners or creased concave lids.

I’d take a guess at maybe a 10% reduction in realised value, but those who buy and sell in the current market are the ones to listen to, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:40 pm 

There more then likely will be more impact on value when Troll Lord Games starts to release more from this line now that they can do so again.  I'd not be worried about losing money on the defect but those who don't need a 1st print of this and will wait for the release of the 2nd print.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:48 am 

Plaag wrote in Castle Zagyg II: The Upper Works.  Box oddity or defect.:... those who don't need a 1st print of this and will wait for the release of the 2nd print.

ShaneG.

Ok, it is sure i miss smtg: by when the 2nd edition will arrive?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:50 am 

aia wrote in Castle Zagyg II: The Upper Works.  Box oddity or defect.:
Ok, it is sure i miss smtg: by when the 2nd edition will arrive?

From Troll Lord:
Our current plan is to release a Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh retro print immediately. This is a reprint of the book as it was released in 2005. Following this, we will release The Hermit as a Kickstarter campaign. The Hermit will be updated for Castles and Crusades; the Fantasy Roleplaying Game, laid out in full color with new maps and illustrations, contain notes on its development and all original material as well. The Gygaxian Fantasy World Series will be launched on Kickstarter in the first quarter of 2024. The eight plus volume series of works is one of Gary’s prides and joys as well as a treasure trove of information for anyone wanting to create a comprehensive fantasy world setting.

I thought the rest of Castle Zagyg was being done, but seems they are focusing on other Gygax works.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:45 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Castle Zagyg II: The Upper Works.  Box oddity or defect.:I sold a number of these, way back when, that has something similar. Not the stringy invaded by a creeping root thing that’s going on there, but hard lumpy glue globules under the paper, like they made them up in TLG with Pritt Stick to keep up with demand. I had maybe 6 out of the 18 I stocked with not so perfect assembly, so maybe 30+% of the stock that passes through my hands. I actually quite like the stringy root thing going on there.

There are plenty of collectors out there who want products in new/nearly new condition, and would forgive imperfections in assembly. Much better than torn corners or creased concave lids.

I’d take a guess at maybe a 10% reduction in realised value, but those who buy and sell in the current market are the ones to listen to, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Thank you so much for the information.  I'll be sure to post the photos when this one goes up for sale or trade.

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:47 pm 

Plaag wrote in Castle Zagyg II: The Upper Works.  Box oddity or defect.:There more then likely will be more impact on value when Troll Lord Games starts to release more from this line now that they can do so again.  I'd not be worried about losing money on the defect but those who don't need a 1st print of this and will wait for the release of the 2nd print.

ShaneG.

I hope to have both boxes up for sale or trade before Christmas.

Best,

Paul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:52 pm 

Plaag wrote in Castle Zagyg II: The Upper Works.  Box oddity or defect.:I thought the rest of Castle Zagyg was being done, but seems they are focusing on other Gygax works.

ShaneG.

It's not a matter of focus. The Gygax estate is now being supervised by a personal representative, and the listed products are the only ones that have been authorized so far. I'm sure Troll Lord would very much like to be able to reissue Upper Works, but they don't have the right to do so, at least not yet.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:33 pm 

Thanks for the update! I missed that!
...two more questions though:
1. What is "the Fantasy Roleplaying Game"? Is it smtg before D&D, like the Dalhun manuscript?
2. Is it a reprint, isn't it? This is annoying to my eyes... collecting-wise it is always better a new edition: this helps to maintain a difference among products and stimulates my ossessive compulsive problem to have even the 2nd edition! (I don't care to chase a reprint...)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:04 pm 

I prefer snacks & conversation before D&D, but I think the reference was to the modern RPG Castles & Crusades.