Portuguese Basic set
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:41 am 

Hello, all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me put a price on a set comprising the Portuguese translations of the Mentzer red box and B5.

They were both published in 1989 and are the only BECMI items translated and published in Portugal.

The B5 is in the original baggy wrap.

The red box condition is a tricky one: it is also in shrink but the lid is taped - on the inside. I checked with the translator and publisher and he confirmed the shrink is not original. For logistic reasons they would keep most of their sets unwrapped and would leave that job to distributors and retailers. While not certain, he believes the copy is probably part of a shipment that was sealed before export to Brazil, a few years later.

Any idea on what they might be worth?

And a follow-up question: given the wonky shrink wrap situation on the box, should I break it open, (carefully!) remove the tape, and check the contents?

Many thanks in advance!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:57 pm 

If someone was trying to be deceptive, they wouldn't have included the tape inside. Sealing a box with tape is not unusual for manufacturers/distributors/retailers, so it sounds like a warehouse or whatever was taping product & then decided to go with shrinking product later.

In any event, it is (judging from discussion on this forum) a matter of debate whether shrink must be applied by the manufacturer in order to be "authentic," or whether distributor/retailer shrink is also authentic. I'd say try selling it as is, & consider differently if it doesn't sell.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:18 pm 

I’ve only ever removed SW if it was something I wanted to read/play/enjoy.

I could see opening if it was to solve a question of authenticity.

But if it was something I wanted to own/cherish/enjoy, I’d leave it as is.

No idea on pricing though, I do like the sets!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:44 pm 

On the red box, does it seem to weigh what you would expect it to weigh?  You might be able to do a rough comparison to any red box's weight.  Does it seem like it has the dice and possibly a crayon in the box?  The dice should be in a poly bag.

If you are planning to sell them, I'd leave it up to the buyer to decide, along with the explanation you mentioned here.

If you are planning to keep it, unless you really want to confirm it's complete or you want to read it, I'd leave it alone.

As far as an estimated value for each?  That's rather difficult to provide, since there haven't been any sales, at least that I'm aware of, for a long time.  Sometimes foreign editions that rarely come up sell for a good amount, but it really depends on if there's enough interest.

If you are planning to sell, it would probably be best to list them as auctions, with a low starting bid, and see where they go.  With items like these, you will definitely want to promote them on here and Facebook.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:06 pm 

Thanks for the advice, it’s been very helpful.

I compared weights with a complete Portuguese copy I have in my collection and they match almost perfectly – only a few grams difference, probably for the shrink. By jiggling it around, I can tell the sealed box has a dice bag inside (though almost certainly not a crayon, as these were not included). So leaving it as is seems like the best option for now.

I haven’t decided yet what to do with the set, but if I end up going the auction route, I’ll be sure to promote it here. Could you point me in the direction of any interested/appropriate Facebook groups?

Thanks again!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:57 pm 

Here are some good Facebook groups to start with:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Acaeum

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RPGAuctions

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rpgcbg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RPGsalestrades

Here's a European group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/842003962628712

It's best to check out each group's specific rules before posting.