Looking to sell my classic D&D set + extras
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:44 pm 

Newbie here - I'm not sure if it's best to list a classified ad here or maybe to get a ballpark appraisal here and then maybe also list on a local craigslist or something / Ebay / Other?

Anyway, here's what I have to sell:

From reading the good detailed info on this very helpful site, I can tell that I have a 6th printing of the white box D&D 3-volume set "Original Collector's Edition" catalog page has prices

It includes all 3 original books, unfortunately the main Men & Magic one has a small smudge on the cover but otherwise guessing somewhere close to near-mint. The other 2 also guessing near-mint

Also - I have 3 supplements - Greyhawk, Blackmoor, and Eldrich Wizardry in the same condition

Also - a little "booklet" 20 total pages of "Reference Sheets"

Bad news - the box cover is in guessing fair/bad shape with a significant tear along the bottom-right edge/corner area, otherwise maybe fair/good not considering the tear.  The box bottom is in much better shape but unfortunately, it looks like someone may have quickly tested a ballpoint red pen with a random 'swirl' near one of the corners.

Anyone have a ballpark idea of what I should reasonably ask for all of the above?  Also, does it maybe make sense to separate out the supplements from the original set, or best to keep all together?
I can post pics of everything later if it will significantly help.

Thanks muchly in advance for any/all help with this!!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:30 am 

Hi and welcome to the forum. For views on appraisal, it is always good to post pictures of items. Box condition is crucial for sets and the tear and markings probably bring it down to 'fair' or at best 'good' condition. The items you have there always tend to be a fair few available at any time on ebay and you can get an idea of what people are trying to get by searching on the site. While I would say based on valuations here, the set would be worth around $300 to $400, people often list them for much higher on ebay. The average “Buy It Now or Best Offer” listing level for what you have is around $600 – no guarantee it would sell for that, but you might be lucky.

For the supplements if they are in top condition, the values here (which are based on monitoring sales) are around $115, $130 and $150 for Greyhawk, Blackmoor and Eldritch Wizardry respectively. That being said, the market for rare D&D collectibles has been soaring over the past few years and you could try for 30 to 50% more if listing them on ebay, so around $150, $200 and $250 respectively if they are in excellent condition. Two options if selling on ebay: set a buy it now price and accept offers – so start high and see what offers you get; or set a low starting price and let the market decide.

You can see examples of similar items sales by scrolling backwards through this thread “Rares Formerly on Ebay”  acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3& ... start=3582  

Other may have different advice, but that is my take.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:09 am 

Thank you so much for all the good info!  Glad to hear about the recent soaring market, wow! I think Ebay will take a sizeable bite out of whatever it fetches, but that still may be my best bet, Anyway, I'll have to ponder my choices but at least now I have some decent ball-park ideas to work with, so thanks again!  :D